Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker Aero chamber Sucks Ass

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 09:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooker Aero chamber Sucks ***

Ok i got my Hooker Aero chamber muffler system in today. It was a ridiclous peice of ****. First one of the pipes was bent and didnt fit together. Then the pipe connecting to the Y-pipe was not bent correctly so it hit the driveshaft. Next they did not include all the tube clamps that are needed so I had to hunt down the stock ones and make them work. Next half the nuts and bolts are metric and the other half are standard. The bracket they give you is not bent correctly to fit in the rubber hanger so I had to bend that back. And the tips are huge ugly peices of **** that stick out too far and are the same diameter as the pipe they connect to. So that pipe was ground down so they would fit. The only thing that redeems it is the sound, it sounded great. But the pain in the *** that it was I wouldn't reccommend this cat back to anyone it SUCKS!!!!!.
HOOKER
Old 07-05-2005, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

this might seem like a ******** question..but are you sure that you were putting the pipes together correctly? the same thing happened with my tsp rumbler..till i just rotated the pipe then everything pretty much lined itself up.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:27 PM
TECH Resident

The orientation of your y-pipe has much more to do with how the i-pipe fits than the i-pipe itself. I didn't have any problems at all with my system. I had to cut the tailpipes to fit the tips the way I wanted them, but that is to be expected.

Maybe you got a system that somebody else returned, and they lost some parts so they half-assed it and sent it back.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:33 PM
11 Second Club

Never had a problem with them
Old 07-06-2005, 12:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have installed two different Hooker catbacks, one on my pewter car and one on my current black car, no problems at all. Sorry about your bad luck.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah sorry you got a bad one, I took mine to the exhaust shop and watched as they put it on, took all of 10 minutes of work it practically installed itself.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:38 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Mine fit fine. Sucks for you.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine fit great, but I still have the stock y-pipe.

I had to turn the hanger receiver around on the car and bend the hanger to make that work, but it wasn't difficult.

I had to cut the pipes to the length I wanted to get the right look. It was a pain with a sawsall to get it straight, but it worked pretty good.

The bolts holding the tips on wasn't very sturdy, and could have been a size bigger.

It was a bear to reuse the clamp from the y-pipe to the i-pipe. Some creative sawsall technique and a modified bolt and I was in business.

I tack welded the tips to the pipes and the pipes to the muffler so they wouldn't rearrange themselves. I've had it for a couple of months now and I really like it.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:58 AM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

I just installed a Hooker cat back. It all fit quite nicely. They tell you to re-use the stock band clamp but do not tell you its spot welded to the pipe at the factory, I used a die grinder the work around the weld and get it off. The tail pipes are definitely too long but they say as much. I used a metal chop saw to trim them to length and a die grinder was again use to slightly chamfer the end of the new cut to allow the tip to slide on. I had no issue with the driver side hanger except that the hanger was a little long. I also bought three band clamps instead of using the ones that came with it. I can pop everything apart easily at any time, something I needed to do because I trimmed the tips further in after driving it for a week.

Install comments
Old 07-06-2005, 01:01 PM
On The Tree

The hooker catback has been one of my favorite mods. It was simple to install, got rid of nearly all the rasp from my ory, and has the sweetest WOT note, not to mention it was cheap as hell. Sorry for your bad luck man.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:51 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah the pipes are on correctly I tried rotating them many times and the only way they fit together was kind of rigged up. Now the I pipe just fell off because the only way to avoid hitting the driveshaft was to not slide it on all the way. So Im talking to TSP right now to see if they will do anything about the crap kit. If not I guess i'll just have do some welding and cutting.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry to hear about the bad luck, mine went on easily, fit great and all the parts were there.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate to keep repeating what others said but are you sure its on right. Loosen all the clamps and twist and turn each pipe to get it to fit. My hooker after awhile started to hit the driveshaft and i just went under an loosened the clamp and twisted the pipes and all was good. The tips you can sand down the lip on the inside to get the tips to slide onto the pipes farther so they don't stick out as far.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've had 9 iteration of exhaust systems on my car over the last 6 years (custom, loud mouth, Hooker, TSP TD, Y-Pipe with Cates, Y-Pipes without, etc, and finally back to Hooker). I went back to the Hooker Aero Chamber because it's the best IMO. Fit tight both times, takes a few hours to install, I would certainly recommend ...sorry for your problems.