Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

make ur own cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by warhead2002
Parts needed.
1: 2 intakes the ones shaped like a cone. AUTOZONE $25 each
2: 2 intake hoses 3" next to the filters AUTOZONE $20 each
3: 2 hoses for intake 3" and they are sold in autozone too but are not in the same isle they are on a different isle and are in boxes not plastic wrapping they are for the intake too $12 each
4: a sprinkler t. go to the sprinkler asle in home depot and get a 3" T make sure us the white plastic one not the black one or your hood will not close.
$1

ok now remove the original filter all the way to your throtle body. and remove the 2 sensors in the assembly. cut down the original hose so that it is smaller and the large sensor is right next to the throtle body. now the intakes should come with plastic adapters get one of those and put it on the other end of the large sensor and and conect the T from homedepot there. now you will have to run 2 hoses into that t one of them is going to go underneath the fuse box and the other behind the battery. down the headlights.into the front where they meet in the front there i cut a hole where it says camaro and put the filters there. it is hard to explain so who ever is interested e-mail me and i have pictures of all the process. and that will give a better idea of how to do it. and to me it works better than the ones they sell.

this is to help out all who dont have a lot of money to spend but want to upgrade their cars. like me.

nuclearwarhead2002@hotmail.com

any noticable gains?
How about on the dyno?
Old 07-12-2005, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SPIV
Qn what happens when it rains????
Water injection...
Old 07-12-2005, 02:58 PM
TECH Resident

I can't believe you hacked your bumper up for that.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:52 PM
Teching In

well i did think that the t would couse some turbulance. im working on finding some sort of y. and the hoses i have right now are 3" and i had trouble finding a place where to pass them thru. and they barely fitted. now i cant put a bigger hose unless i cut the frame or something. but im still working on improving it. i just have it like that because i couldnt wait to have it finished and show my friends.

and hey about my stripes. i saved my self like what $200 by making them my self. i had a roll of chrome sticker and i didnt know what to do with it. and it suddently hit me when i went to go see the prices of the stripes. "i should make them my self" not a professional job. unless you look at it from far away. and it only took me 3 hours cutting them and putting them. i like these because they are different from what is out there. they are as you could call "Custom". well right now im trying to see what else i could improve in it.

and the rain. i didnt tought about that. but i lknow ill figure something out.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As to the hacking - I thought the same thing. That is, until I saw that he has a grill over it. With the grill there, you would never see the cut plastic.

As for the "what happens when it rains" question - not a thing. Those hoses go up a good 8-12". The rain, should it get through the filters in the first place, would simply sit in the lower part of the hoses. Heck, I've got a WS-6, with the baffles removed, and a simply K&N filter. I've driven in a tropical storm with no problems!
Old 07-12-2005, 04:07 PM
Teching In

well its cool to know that there is people out there who think its a ok idea. i make good money. but i also have a lot of bills and that leaves me with almost nothing. so if i could do something to improve my car just a little bit of money i would.

my car is pretty much stock exept for the intake. now my friend has a 2001 z28 with 35000 miles and mine has 125000 miles we have raced a couple of times when we take off within 2 seconds im already 1 car ahead of him. after that it is we stay the same. and now w/ the filter i knotice that im at least 1.5 cars in front of him. and it aint just with him it is with any other stock z28. i havent gone to see the hp gain. i dont know where there is a dyno around here.(fontana) so i wont really be able to tell you guys right now.

but ill keep you guys up to date.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:15 PM
TECH Regular

Not to sound like an *** but I kinda think it looks like ****, I would hate to pop my hood and have that sitting there.

The idea is a good one and looks like it could work well but I couldn't get over the way it looked, and it costs 115 bucks and I'm geussing about 2 hours to install? I'll stick with my 80 dollar lid that cleans up some clutter and took about 10 minutes to install.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:24 PM
TECH Resident

Most have probably seen my intake but hear ya go anyway. Figured I'd ***** it around a little more. I like your idea but be carefull using PVC under the hood of a car. PVC doesn't hold up to heat for ****. Use ABS that is the same thing the manifold is made out of. If I were you I would have left the lid and filter cut holes under the filter like where a FTRA goes and ran the hoses down and out by the bumper like you have done. There is a site somewhere were someone has done this.https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/338821-custom-ls1-intake-polished-radiator-shroud.html
Old 07-12-2005, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

There is room for improvement. Take it to the next step.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Oh my god... I don't like that... sorry man, A for effort tho... return that back to stock and it will look a million times better.

I made my own wanna be FTRA for less than 20 dollars... check it out.

Old 07-12-2005, 09:12 PM
Teching In

well im not going to keep it that way. i am working on changing the hoses. but hey on my car the hood stays closed 96% of the time. unless im working on it or just cleaning it. as long as it doesnt affect the exterior look its fine. i apreaciate your replys. because i want to know what other people think. it doesnt hirt to have other opinions.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:06 AM
On The Tree

For one those holes are to long of a stretch,also the have to many ribs.It slows the air DOWN to much
The fliters dont flow well either.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:13 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 00Pontiac
Oh my god... I don't like that... sorry man, A for effort tho... return that back to stock and it will look a million times better.

I made my own wanna be FTRA for less than 20 dollars... check it out.

Nice! I'll take one of those, how much?
Old 07-13-2005, 08:35 AM
Launching!

Essentially you want this...

Of course it does cost a few bucks more.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You get an A for creativity sir..glad to see that people are trying out new ways to do old mods...thank you for the pics!!!.. ..it is not my cup of tea so to speak..I like my lid and FTRA set up..I could tell a difference on the cars performance in the upper gears with the addition of those two mods with my seat of the pants mobil dyno ... I bought the parts used on good ol' LS1 Tech parts for sale...both pieces were in like new condition..so it was not expensive in any sence of the word...to each his own..if we all were the same it would be a real dull world...keep on thinking man I admire your approach..

Last edited by slt200mph; 07-13-2005 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:06 AM
On The Tree

The way the two filters are setup looks sweet. I like that look.
Good job man.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Nice. It's one of those Saturday type projects. I used to do those on the Cavalier, when I had it. We rigged up a !LOUD! PA system on my cousin's Blazer! Scared the crap out of just about everyone!

ANyway, as far as the turbulence thing. I don't really see how it would be a factor. The air will flow better through the one w/ the least restriction. That, and the motor will only draw as much as it needs anyway.

EDIT: Wait a hold on minute here! How'd you get around all that impact resistant styrofoam crap?!?! I have a hard time just figuring how to get my grill off w/out breaking anything!

Last edited by bayer-z28; 07-30-2005 at 05:08 AM.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:35 PM
TECH Junkie

I've been thinking of doing something like this as well.

I was thinking of moving the battery to the rear and comnig in from the fender (LT1 style) but from both sides.

I would probably make it out of fiberglass and also merge with the lid.

The only problem is that there would have to be baffles (or as others have said, merge coolectors) to prevent the incoming air from hitting each other.

If I could lose the MAF, then there would be a few more inches to play with....
Old 08-05-2005, 06:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Tranzaman00
Most have probably seen my intake but hear ya go anyway. Figured I'd ***** it around a little more. I like your idea but be carefull using PVC under the hood of a car. PVC doesn't hold up to heat for ****. Use ABS that is the same thing the manifold is made out of. If I were you I would have left the lid and filter cut holes under the filter like where a FTRA goes and ran the hoses down and out by the bumper like you have done. There is a site somewhere were someone has done this.https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338821
Nice whoring and nice intake....I've always loved the TA way of gettign the air without looping around liek the SS does
Old 08-05-2005, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
Nice whoring and nice intake....I've always loved the TA way of gettign the air without looping around liek the SS does

Thanks, Not sure what you ment though. Camaro and TA intakes are the same.

Quick Reply: make ur own cold air intake