Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Granatelli Plug wires over 15 rwhp gain??

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011 | 06:49 PM
TECH Senior Member
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by TheSilverOne
im gonna use E3 spark plugs, these wires, k&n air filter, and royal purple for all my lubricants....

should be good for a 60 hp gain.

this thread reminds me of horsepower tv
Funny you say that. I was at the dealership the other day getting some parts for the wife's truck. I heard the guy next to me say he had a TBSS w/ a 6.0

He said he was putting a cold air kit, E3 plugs and some other bolt on and said he should go from 385hp to about 460hp.

True story.

Last edited by LilJayV10; 04-27-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-27-2011 | 07:09 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Old 04-27-2011 | 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member
10 Year Member

I can't say much, I did H/C/I/E and thought I'd be above 450!

But I digress.
Old 04-27-2011 | 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Granatelli
Again there is nothing I can say at this point so I realize it is futile – with that as my opener, I hope everyone understands we have been selling these wires since 2002. This is not new technology. So saying the customers from our website have not stepped up or appeared is a bit narrow minded. Consider this, we sell on average 250 sets a month of just part number 28-1545 and another 200 of part number 28-1811 – these 2 applications cover most LS series engines – this does not count the HT versions with fire sleeves and other products we offer – of those 450 units (per month) sold how many of them go to the message boards at all? 2% - 9 people? – of the 9 how many frequent this site? – So it should not seem odd or make anyone wonder why they are not all flocking to the web. – right?

You would think at least one of those people in search of more power would at least frequent these or another forums...yet no such luck.

I never saw your results – did you also test our wires – if so, when? Naturally We want happy customers so when we have repeated results and then 1 person posts numbers that are the same we listen but don’t get alarmed – if more 4 or 5 report results then we start to wonder.

If that was truly the case, you should have been wondering almost 10 years ago.

These wires have repeated time in and time again. What we have so far is one person saying the wires worked but did not give a gain over a 30 ohm MSD.

Yes, a 20k mile wire that yours cost roughly twice as much and are supposedly superior to but no one seems to have verified the claims except yourself or a magazine. I'm not saying the wires don't look nice, nor the fact that they have a warranty.

But whose world…? They have been – The overwhelming info in on the wires is success. If you are a nay sayer out of the box and only hyper focus on the “I told you so” mentality then naturally if you keep digging you will find “your” truth. As an example - most people that hate Camaros don’t frequent Camaro sites – so if you are looking to purchase a Camaro and you go to the HondaCRX.com site you might hear how they suck but if you go to mybitchencamaro.com you will get the opposite story – get it?

It all depends what you consider a success. I would consider a wire that hold up well, performs as it should, and looks nice to be a success. In that respect you should be ecstatic, however, the claims are a different matter.

Forgive me…I don’t see the question in there

There wasn't one, it was a statement, hence no question mark.

That does not make it right

Neither does bogus claims made to influence sales. It's shady as hell and no self respecting vendor stoops to that level.

That is the point – we are not and never were a paying advertiser – You keep coming back to that – why? We live in a cynical world when things don’t go a persons way they claim - that guy mist have paid for those results and if thing go badly than you can jump on it and hoist up your flag and claim a hollow victory. Respectfully what do you hope to gain. The customers are happy – let them be

Forgive me, but have you not advertised your products in said magazines that have at one time or another run an article on your product?

I am sure there are plenty of people that go to sleep at night knowing you are out there to protect them. I addressed all your questions respectfully when the easy thing to do would be to ignore them – that has never been my style as many of you know. I address it all head on – for all that it is worth. I addressed the verbiage as it relates to the wires because a few claimed it was confusing. While I could have taken the position it has been fine for 8 years – I LISTEN to my customers and potential customers and make adjustments – that is good business. We don’t want anyone feeling mislead. The numbers are still the same however. We offer great products and great prices – If you or anyone else is looking for the cheapest parts – we many not be your best source.

Maybe I could ask the moderator to pull your posts as being combative – oh but wait…I am not an advertisers here either. Just another guy trying to add to the melting pot we call LS1TECH

Wonderful, you exercise the same right as I and everyone else. If the mods would like me to rephrase or change something, I will be more than happy to. As far as cheap parts, no, the motors I currently have or had as well as my vehicles would attest to that. I don't however enjoy spending money on a product that won't produce the backed claims.
Originally Posted by Paul Bell
battlesausage, which would you agree with (pick just one without any extra wordy stuff):

1: Granitellei zero Ohm ignition wires DO show improvement compared to stock ignition wires?

2: Granitellei zero Ohm ignition wires DO NOT show improvement compared to stock ignition wires?
In what areas? In terms of looks & durability I would pick 1, however that is misleading as is your question. In terms of as seen power improvement & price/gain...well that would be numero Dos.

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I still fail to see how 400-800 ohms in ~6" wires would make any more difference than the tens of thousands of volts difference between coil types...a mod which has been shown to be a myth.

That, combined with the lack of impartial evidence to support the claims, is the basis of my skepticism.

Or we can do some comparisons as such and let me ask everyone to chime in:

if
stock (400-800 ohms) to MSD (~30 ohms) wires net no noticeable/measurable gains in HP, MPG, idle, a/f ratio, etc (

if MSD (30 ohms) to Gran. (0 ohms) net no measurable gains

So what argument comes into play that stock to Gran. would suddenly produce any sort of significant gains not found in the previous comparisons? If no one had TOLD you to expect gains, would you?

As stated before, I look forward to more of these independent tests, because out of fairness 1 pull is no more proof at disproving the claims than 1 pull was at proving the claims. I do respect that it was done in an effort to eliminate variables though.
This is where my reasoning as well as personal experience has led me also. However, most still jump to defend that reasoning for reasons unknown to me or most others with commons sense. Stock wires aren't really worth replacing for MSD's because they don't net power, yet the Granatelli's that don't net power over the MSD's are worth putting on at twice the price? The question isn't about the quality of the product period yet it gets mentioned by both sides. This is a simple, does the wire back the claims. In my personal experience with my own dyno sessions and seeing other's results, no. Skepticism is a good thing but most of the people defending the wires have absolutely no experience with them. Yet, they continue to blindly call those out with skepticism for letting others know of past experiences and trying to steer them in the right direction. Half of those are the same people who are in a different thread asking opinions for 20 other products they've never used. It must be the wire conspiracy...

Last edited by BattleSausage; 04-27-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-27-2011 | 09:33 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by BattleSausage
In what areas? In terms of looks & durability I would pick 1, however that is misleading as is your question. In terms of as seen power improvement & price/gain...well that would be numero Dos.

This is where my reasoning as well as personal experience has led me also. However, most still jump to defend that reasoning for reasons unknown to me or most others with commons sense. Stock wires aren't really worth replacing for MSD's because they don't net power, yet the Granatelli's that don't net power over the MSD's are worth putting on at twice the price? The question isn't about the quality of the product period yet it gets mentioned by both sides. This is a simple, does the wire back the claims. In my personal experience with my own dyno sessions and seeing other's results, no. Skepticism is a good thing but most of the people defending the wires have absolutely no experience with them. Yet, they continue to blindly call those out with skepticism for letting others know of past experiences and trying to steer them in the right direction. Half of those are the same people who are in a different thread asking opinions for 20 other products they've never used. It must be the wire conspiracy...
Interesting. You could not just pick one or two. And, despite several videos and tests by GMS and others independently showing their wires make some power over stock wires, you still say they cannot.

Where are the GMS wires at twice the price of MSD? GMS wires are easily had at 33 bucks LESS than MSD wires. What math are you using?

You need to check the accuracy of your statements at the door. I'm starting to assume that whatever you say will be incorrect and biased from the get-go. Do you want this distinction here? Perhaps you have ulterior motives and wish to bad-mouth GMS? Do you work for their competition?

Looking at Summit, spark plug wire sets for a F-Body LS1 car:

$185-Granatelle with high heat boots & shields
$140-Davis Unified Ignition Live Wires
$139-Accel
$138-MSD
$136-Granatelli
$113-AC Delco
$105-Moroso

Granatelli direct (non-high heat boot & shield version): $105.
What I see is you are working very hard to show how bad these wires are. Much of what you say is semantics. GMS is a highly respected supplier of quality high performance accessories and they go far beyond the call of duty to discuss and support their products-much more than many others do.
Old 04-28-2011 | 12:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by greatskiiiier
its like the tornado fuel saver.. LETS ALL GET ONE!
i think this guy is on to somthing!http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...ch/gr_grin.gif
Old 04-28-2011 | 08:49 AM
11 Second Club

MSD wires are $60-70 from several sponsors (ws6store) and ebay

I got my set from a former member/sponsor here with a full set of NGK plugs for $70 shipped.
Old 04-28-2011 | 08:54 AM
On The Tree

battlesausage, which would you agree with (pick just one without any extra wordy stuff):

1: Granitellei zero Ohm ignition wires DO show improvement compared to stock ignition wires?

2: Granitellei zero Ohm ignition wires DO NOT show improvement compared to stock ignition wires?
Originally Posted by BattleSausage
We should do poll with a single syllable answer
1 For quality
2 For performance gains
3 For least resistance
Did I leave anything out ?

I was thinking, since this thread is lasting so long, how about we mark the date of it's end and then have a anniversary reunion 1 year later ?
Old 04-28-2011 | 08:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

im all booked in for the dyno here in australia next friday, i'll post video and results.
Old 04-28-2011 | 09:21 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Thanks for posting that up thunderstruck.
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...roducts_id=618
Can we assume their performance (over stock wires) would be equal to the GMS wires?
Common sense dictates the GMS wires are still the wiser investment. Imagine if in two years, while changing spark plugs, the terminal rips out of the boot. You're SOL with the MSD set-GMS will warranty theirs.
Old 04-28-2011 | 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for posting that up thunderstruck.
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...roducts_id=618
Can we assume their performance (over stock wires) would be equal to the GMS wires?
Common sense dictates the GMS wires are still the wiser investment. Imagine if in two years, while changing spark plugs, the terminal rips out of the boot. You're SOL with the MSD set-GMS will warranty theirs.
interesting quote from that link:

Originally Posted by MSD
The MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Wire is "the" performance wire. Engineered from the inside out, the 8.5 offers everything you have everwanted in a wire; incredibly low resistance without electronic interference! In a single 12 inch length of Super Conductor Wire there is only 40 - 50 ohms of resistance! That is the lowest resistance of any helically wound wire. To accomplish this, we use a copper alloy conductor due to it's great voltage carrying capabilities. The low resistance results in less loss in spark energy so more reaches the spark plug. The conductor is wound extremely tight around a special center core. So tight in fact, that there is over 40 feet of conductor wrapped into a single foot of plug wire. This winding procedure, combined with a ferro-magnetic impregnated center core, produces an extremely effective Electro Magnetic Interference (EMI) "choke". This choke, or suppression capability, keeps the EMI inside the wire where it cannot interfere with other electronics on your vehicle. The outer sleeve that surrounds the conductor assembly is just as impressive. A proprietary blend of silicone and synthetic material produce a sleeve that is highly resistant to high heat as well as abrasion and tears.
Old 04-28-2011 | 09:59 AM
11 Second Club

I assume any decently made wire will perform the same. MSD is just as full of crap promoting performance gains as anyone else. I bought them because my headers are poorly designed in how they route the primary tubes around the plugs.

I have 4 plug boots that layed on the header tubes with stock wires. The msd wires have boots that bend and hold their shape allowing me to get 3 of those off the tubes, 1 still touches so I have to use Kevlar boots and rotate them every so often so they don't burn through.

That's the only reason I bought them, car runs exactly the same with them as it did stock.
Old 04-28-2011 | 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

I was on the fence for a while, just decided to go with the MSD wires.. Honestly i think the gran wires are good and if they were priced the same i would definatly get them (duh), but given i dont need the extra 30ohm drop and the benifits gained from that, the MSDs are a little more budget friendly, especially the deal going on from our sponsor Nate right now. Obviously if you want the best you gotta pay for it, just gotta decide the cost/benifit ratio, which will vary for everyone due to what they are wanting. I think i said it before, usually the closer you get to the "best" or top of the line the ratio starts getting skewed and cost goes higher while the benifit starts declining.

The truth has come out many times in this thread i believe, and a lot of people have stated some good sounding conclusions also. I think you gotta look at these wires for what they are. Its not 100% bs and also not (or used to be) IMO 100% true (the claims that is). People have to decide for themselves what to believe, because marketing is real and why wouldn't a business use it to their advantage. A little common sense goes a long ways.

That being said, $105 for the best really isn't bad or much to bitch about. I think the advertising and claims are what bugged a lot of people on here, yes compared to some shitty old stock wires these might show big gains, but compared to aftermarket, minimal at best. Some find it worth the extra, some don't. The warrenty and product backing should also be factored in.

Hopefully gran doesn't feel too attacked (by those seeking the truth), I don't see why he would. Unfortuantly there are some people that could have been ignored and i think wasted his time on here. More tests will be good to see confirm, but i think most know and have known all along what these wires are about. Not saying thats good or bad, just real life and common sense. I feel its been a good thread and a lot can be learned. Too all you with spark plug wires (whatever brand they may be) May they continue to keep your car running and squeeze out all that extra hp.
Old 04-28-2011 | 09:34 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Very well said!
Old 04-29-2011 | 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TransWS6Am
Well i might be one of those morons but we will see. I just ordered a set . My LS1 MSD's just seem to be a tad to short for the LS3 coil location (slighty higher on the valve cover than a LS1 coil). So i wanted a new set of wires any how, I just didn't like how tight the MSD's where.
I have a dyno tune scheduled for april 29th at speed inc. So I'm gonna do my own back to back dyno comparison with the wire swap in between and see how much i really pick up from these wires. As long as speed inc will allow it.
And hey if i don't pick up any HP atleast i got a set of lifetime warrenty plug wires for $105
in on this, results now!
Old 04-30-2011 | 04:36 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

OK guys, here it is:

I’ve been running the NGK Iridium plugs with the red GM LS7 wire set. They have about 30,000 miles on them.

From day one, my car has had a peculiar odditity to it. It would always slightly hesitate off idle and during non-wide open throttle acceleration, the engine’s power would seem to surge down then back up just slightly. I’ve tested everything, changed the TPS, watched all the sensors while driving on a tech tool, etc. This issue had always been consistent and I’ve subconsciously become accustomed to it and would anticipate it. I would best describe it as the PCM engaging torque management-which I’ve had tuned out. At most, this had been an annoyance.

Today I installed the WeaponX zero Ohms Iridium spark plugs and the Granatelli zero Ohms spark plug wire set. The install took about an hour. The number eight plug is always a challenge but removing the right side coil set helped a lot.

I drove the car. The off idle hesitation is gone. The part throttle power drop is gone. The engine reacts like it’s got new life. It more easily spins the 315's and chirps them better on the 1-2. Stomp it on the highway and it leaps into action like never before. I can’t believe the performance this car has been “missing” all this time. The improvement is more than subtle. Improvements are throughout the RPM range. I honestly did not expect how much better the car would run.

I listened to the ending of The Mets game on AM (they lost, of course) and there’s no RFI issues while using these zero Ohms plugs and wires.

Were the plugs & wires I removed bad? The car has run pretty much the same since I installed them. 30,000 miles is not a lot for Iridium plugs, they all looked pretty good, one had some signs of oil consumption, not too surprising for a never opened LS1 with almost 190,000 miles behind it. The GM LS7 wires, as removed, measured between 765 and 780 Ohms. This is a little less than the average 800 Ohms others have tested these wires at so there’s no degradation of the wires here that was “made up” by replacing them.

I, at closer to 50 than 40, having seen my share of gimmicks throughout the years, am at least as skeptical as the next guy and I like to see scientific and repeatable proof to claims of horsepower gains. There has been ample “proof” shown about the GMS wires. I do believe they “help” in as that they have a much lower resistance than stock wires. Similar results might be had with other low Ohm wires such as offerings from MSD and Firecore. However, if you’re gonna move to a low Ohm wire, it would make sense to go all the way to the lowest, which is the Granatelli wires. It’s not a hell of a lot more money to do so. I have a suspicion that the ferrite ring they use also has something to do with it. Another nice thing about these wires: They very easily clicked onto the spark plugs very securely.

Seriously guys, if any of these things were junk, I'd say so. Like that Mufflex 4 inch system. How many times have I said and shown pictures of how much they suck? If the Granatelli wires sucked, I'd be waving everybody off them.

As far as the zero Ohm WeaponX plugs, I did scour the internet and reviewed many posts on many web forums about them. The general consensus is that they usually add 2-5 HP on the dyno. Of course, like anything else, there can and will be instances where no gain is seen. I don’t know if my performance gains are from the wires only or also the plugs. Being that Granatelli has a dyno (as all proper performance shops should), perhaps they can do (yet another) videoed dyno test using the WeaponX plugs.

Moving forward: I’m gonna use this combination of wires and plugs in any vehicle I own and will strongly recommend them to anybody looking to improve their car’s performance. This was definitely money, time and effort well spent.

Last edited by Paul Bell; 04-30-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-30-2011 | 06:22 PM
On The Tree

OK guys, here it is:

I’ve been running the NGK Iridium plugs with the red GM LS7 wire set. They have about 30,000 miles on them.

From day one, my car has had a peculiar odditity to it. It would always slightly hesitate off idle and during non-wide open throttle acceleration, the engine’s power would seem to surge down then back up just slightly. I’ve tested everything, changed the TPS, watched all the sensors while driving on a tech tool, etc. This issue had always been consistent and I’ve subconsciously become accustomed to it and would anticipate it. I would best describe it as the PCM engaging torque management-which I’ve had tuned out. At most, this had been an annoyance.

Today I installed the WeaponX zero Ohms Iridium spark plugs and the Granatelli zero Ohms spark plug wire set. The install took about an hour. The number eight plug is always a challenge but removing the right side coil set helped a lot.

I drove the car. The off idle hesitation is gone. The part throttle power drop is gone. The engine reacts like it’s got new life. It more easily spins the 315's and chirps them better on the 1-2. Stomp it on the highway and it leaps into action like never before. I can’t believe the performance this car has been “missing” all this time. The improvement is more than subtle. Improvements are throughout the RPM range. I honestly did not expect how much better the car would run.

I listened to the ending of The Mets game on AM (they lost, of course) so there’s no RFI issues while using these zero Ohms plugs and wires.

Were the plugs & wires I removed bad? The car has run pretty much the same since I installed them. 30,000 miles is not a lot for Iridium plugs, they all looked pretty good, one had some signs of oil consumption, not too surprising for a never opened LS1 with almost 190,000 miles behind it. The GM LS7 wires, as removed, measured between 765 and 780 Ohms. This is a little less than the average 800 Ohms others have tested these wires at so there’s no degradation of the wires here that was “made up” by replacing them.

I, at closer to 50 than 40, having seen my share of gimmicks throughout the years, am at least as skeptical as the next guy and I like to see scientific and repeatable proof to claims of horsepower gains. There has been ample “proof” shown about the GMS wires. I do believe they “help” in as that they have a much lower resistance than stock wires. Similar results might be had with other low Ohm wires such as offerings from MSD and Firecore. However, if you’re gonna move to a low Ohm wire, it would make sense to go all the way to the lowest, which is the Granatelli wires. It’s not a hell of a lot more money to do so. I have a suspicion that the ferrite ring they use also has something to do with it. Another nice thing about these wires: They very easily clicked onto the spark plugs very securely.

Seriously guys, if any of these things were junk, I'd say so. Like that Mufflex 4 inch system. How many times have I said and shown pictures of how much they suck? If the Granatelli wires sucked, I'd be waving everybody off them.

As far as the zero Ohm WeaponX plugs, I did scour the internet and reviewed many posts on many web forums about them. The general consensus is that they usually add 2-5 HP on the dyno. Of course, like anything else, there can and will be instances where no gain is seen. I don’t know if my performance gains are from the wires only or also the plugs. Being that Granatelli has a dyno (as all proper performance shops should), perhaps they can do (yet another) videoed dyno test using the WeaponX plugs.

Moving forward: I’m gonna use this combination of wires and plugs in any vehicle I own and will strongly recommend them to anybody looking to improve their car’s performance. This was definitely money, time and effort well spent.
Interesting !
I replaced my stock plugs and wires on page 25. My Z didn't have any response issues, it's always felt strong, however since I changed the wires and plugs it feels even stronger. The car feels more torquey at all rpms. I'm not gonna say there's more hp but there's definitely a stronger seamless transition of power even in traffic. The stock plugs only had 2800 miles on them as did the factory wires. I find it interesting that your GM wires with 30,000 miles on them show almost 800Ω as others have said, and the ones ones I took off were only 351Ω - 357Ω
Old 04-30-2011 | 06:33 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

I'm only showing this thread as having 15 pages. What was the post number?

I'm wondering if GM made the original wire sets from different wire stock. What wires & plugs did you take out? What did you install?
Old 04-30-2011 | 09:44 PM
TECH Veteran

578 at 29 pages..

And I lost track of this thread pages ago. Did anyone else do a dyno comparison?
Old 04-30-2011 | 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member
10 Year Member

So far I think I'm the only one.

Quick Reply: Granatelli Plug wires over 15 rwhp gain??