Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just finished side exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 12:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree... you completely hand fabricated a side exit exhaust. Anyone that takes the time do that on their own deserves credit. It may not be the prettiest exhaust around but it serves its purpose. I'm sure with some tweaking of the system you can get something that both looks and performs well. Awesome creativity with forming oval tubing. Hopefully you'll share more photos in the future if you make any revisions to the setup.

I test fitted a set of stock Z28 slash tips against the side of my car, just in front of the rear tires. With my car being so low it would be damn near impossible to safely fab up something. If there was a way to go with side exits with tasteful exhaust tips, and not risk ripping the exhaust off on a speed bump, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get that thing on a lift and get some pics of the underside.

I plan on taking mine back farther...basically directly in front of the rear tires. I want rectangular tips to get more ground clearance than the ovaled pipe you have (plus it keeps with the theme of the stock design ). Mine will also exit under the car a bit more...about 3 inches off the tips in the pics would put it about where I want it...possibly a hair more.

Hopefully when I'm done...the lowest point of my exhaust will be right after the driver's side header before it merges at the X pipe. Even there, it should be tucked up against the body (might even oval the pipe there a bit).

Looks good...props on the fab work.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

problem with most exhaust tips is..they accept only round tubing...this setup doesnt hang any lower than my headers do..and its about 1/4 inch lower than my subframe connectors.

in the future i may cut the exits off at the SFC and then run both at an angle to achieve an exit a few inches back..but as it sits now..theyre staying where they are.

love them or hate them..they shoot flames and make noise.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

plus..idk if the pictures decieve the eye..but they dont stick out past the body when you look at them from the top...and i painted them flat black to not make them stick out like a sore thumb.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

heres a picture...i dont have one from directly above...but you can tell they dont stick out....regardless..im still happy as hell with the work i did.
Attached Thumbnails just finished side exhaust-sideexhaust26.jpg  
Old 07-14-2005, 12:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how did you get it to shoot flames? can i do this if mine exit at the rear?
Old 07-14-2005, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SupahRich
I agree... you completely hand fabricated a side exit exhaust. Anyone that takes the time do that on their own deserves credit. It may not be the prettiest exhaust around but it serves its purpose. I'm sure with some tweaking of the system you can get something that both looks and performs well. Awesome creativity with forming oval tubing. Hopefully you'll share more photos in the future if you make any revisions to the setup.

I test fitted a set of stock Z28 slash tips against the side of my car, just in front of the rear tires. With my car being so low it would be damn near impossible to safely fab up something. If there was a way to go with side exits with tasteful exhaust tips, and not risk ripping the exhaust off on a speed bump, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Great reply, I agree totally. I was also thinking about this using a couple of chambered mufflers and exiting out the pass side but with my SFC's, the is even less room. Kudo's to Ping King for fabing up something original. Hope it works out for ya.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks guys...so far everyone whos seen it in person has said it sounds like a funny car, and it looks badass...granted...noone in person is gonna tell me it looks like ****...so this statement is basically pointless.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

Looks great man, and its different not many people have that on a f-body so it will stand out. Cant imagine how much time it took fabricate that.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

it took a good weekend...i was working on jackstands...i probably unhooked the exhaust about 25 times to get it to fit...and crawled under the car 200 times cutting and rechecking everything....its all one piece and just bolts up on teh collectors...the hanger on the trans and one hanger on the subframe connector.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

i was just looking at it....im thinking if i cut the pipes on an angle flush with teh SFC, then weld a set of oval pipes angles backwards...i could get the pipes further back on the car...of course they will be cut flush with teh body.

then i started it up...just because it sounds so insane..im gonna try and get some videos hosted of idle and revving...just no driving...my tires are totally shot from that burnout contest..i actually pulled cords out by hand.

time for some new BFG's
Old 07-14-2005, 05:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02WS6Bird
Also, shouldn't you have rubbed vaseline or some non stick substance on the fendor to keep the rubber from sticking or is that just a rumor?
I also hear that tire shine does a good job. I believe the oil based tire shine to be specific....
Old 07-14-2005, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive seen people use cooking oil..doesnt seem to be that hard to clean up...i wish i would have thought ahead a little...the burnout contest i was in was a little bit of a last minute deal..but i just pulled all the rubber off and it makes a ball about the size of a soft ball.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice job! I like em. I made my exhaust from my downpipe(turbo car) to the catback and that took a solid eight hours of cutting,grinding,fitting,tacking, refitting and then welding to get about 5ft of pipe to conform to how I wanted it while the car was on RAMPS...so I can imagine all the time it took to get a nice one off set up like this. Not everyone has the ***** to tackle a job like this themselves and fewer have the skill to have it come out as nice as yours did. So a few don't like the tips/look...lets see what they can come up with...POST PICS for those who think they can do a better job

Bet it sounds insane, get a vid up soon, i'd like to hear this set up.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1QuickT-A
I personally think that it looks terrible. But, thats just my opinion. The tips just dont do it for me. They need to be at more of an angle towards the back of the car. They look like they are just straight out the side of the car. If they were at a good angle and the tips were "slash cut" in the same angle it would look pretty damn good to me.

The car looks really good tho.
I agree!
Old 07-14-2005, 08:09 PM
12 Second Club

I think it looks pretty damn cool, get some pics of the underside!
Old 07-16-2005, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

broke a torque arm bracket last night...so the exhaust just came off in order to fix it...im gonna take some pictures in a few minutes.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Ping King
any feedback?
Nice. Should have angled them back towards the rear tire more with the front pipe not being even in length than the other pipe, and also move them closer to the rear tire. Like maybe 4 inches in front of the rear tires.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Likie this:

http://www.cryo-laboratory.com/uploa...de%20pipes.JPG

Quick Reply: just finished side exhaust