Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed 160 thermostat, now I'm running hotter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 04:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Just installed 160 thermostat, now I'm running hotter?

I have a 98 Camaro Z28. Noteworthy engine modifications: Shaner S3, LS6 intake, MAC headers, 2.5" true duals, custom tuning (for when I had the above except without the TB and with LT's and 3" true duals.)

I lost alot of coolant when doing the swap. I overfilled the coolant on accident, not sure how I should fix that or if it will fix itself.

With my stock thermostat, I'd never see temperatures over 185* (according to the gauge.) Now that I put the Hypertech 160 thermostat in, I'm seeing crusing temperatures of ~195* and idle temperatures of ~225* (according to the gauge.)

I'm going to try and get my friend to AutoTap my car to see what the true coolant temperature is. I believe the fan operating temperatures were lowered when I was tuned. They turn on around 180*.

Does this sound normal? I followed the instructions for bleeding the coolant system and afterwards it got damn near the red area on the temperature gauge. It doesn't get that hot now after crusing around a little bit and letting it idle for 5 minutes (half the time with the A/C on.)
Old 07-30-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you let it heat up and open with the cap off? It will overflow that will fix the overfilling issue. As for running hotter. Not sure. Good luck. Anyone else got any suggestion for this guy.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:34 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Hi

When the engine is warm, use an antifreez tester to draw some of the coolent out of the surge tank. You may have to extend the length of the hose a little with a piece of 5/16" steel line.

I also have a 98 (stock fan settings) and your temperatures do not seem to be that out of line. If idling, my gauge will hit 100 degree C before the fans kick in. This is 212 degree F. However, the change you are talking about is significant. Most likely the settings in your tune are now different.

If it is truly reaching 225 that is too hot in my opinion. I would work on getting the true temperature and then determining the current fan settings (as compared to stock). I hope this helps.

JA
Old 07-30-2005, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

I lost alot of coolant when doing the swap. I overfilled the coolant on accident, not sure how I should fix that or if it will fix itself.

It sounds like you need more coolant. Open the cap, let the car get a little warm (where the thermostat is open and the coolant is flowing) then fill with dex-cool. This purges the air out of the system which could cause overheating.
Good luck!
Old 07-30-2005, 11:53 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, I'm thinking I might have air pockets or something.

Just went out on the highway with it. Ran at about 175* while driving. If I came to a light off the highway, it would stay around 185* but as soon as I started moving it'd shoot up to 210* and a little past. Shortly after, it would go back down to 175* range.

Albiet, it is cooler outside than it was before.

I'm going to have the radiator flushed tomorrow. Hopefully that'll fix it.

Thanks for all the input. I'll report back.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

get it tuned again so the fans turn on earlier.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:06 PM
12 Second Club

Had the system flushed. On the way to work it stayed around 175 the whole way. It wasn't that far though, so more testing is needed. Pretty sure all is well now. Not sure if it was worth the swap or not.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You probably had air pockets in the cooling system..the place that flushed it just got them out for ya..you could have done it yourself...if you have too much coolant you can aways open the petcock and drain some out...
Old 08-01-2005, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A trick I used on my LS1 to get the air out.

let it get to temp (and open the stat up), then shut the engine off, pull the upper radiator hose off the radiator, and pour in hot (this is important, cold water would be rather bad) water in the hose, with it held well up above the engine. Just keep pouring until coolant pours from the radiator (where you removed the hose). Congratulations, you're now gravity bled.

This took me all of 5 minutes (including getting up to temp) and I've had my temp sitting at 190* (stock stat) ever since. No bubbles, no coolant loss, no problems.

Much quicker then most of the seemingly problematic bleeding and filling techniques I've found thus far.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

If you really want to cheat you can drill a 1/8 inch hole in the stat beside the element and it will bleed by itself woth no more tinkering and cussing.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:38 PM
TECH Junkie

I noticed from my logs that my car was running a little warmer than ususal. I found a big plastic wal-mart bag covering about 1/3 - 1/2 the radiator.