Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shop F'd up my oil pan, How to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shop F'd up my oil pan, How to replace?

Is there an online guide for it ? Some one told me its not like the old 350's just unbolt and bolt up the new one. Would it be better to just drill out a bigger hole or just replace it ? Thanks. Car is a 98 LS1

I already confronted the shop about it and they tried to play stupid.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:31 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe you need to elaborate as to just how they F'd it up and someone might be able to help you fix it.

And, no, you can't pull the oil pan w/o atleast jacking up the engine off the mounts or dropping the k-member.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If the shop messed it up..... why are you worried about replacing it? They should!!!!
Old 08-08-2005, 09:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

What did they mess up?
Old 08-08-2005, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

they messed up the threads where the drain plug goes. and they tried to put a heli coil in there to fix it. but when i went to change the oil the heli coil just came right out with it and the bolt was all stripped up and so were the threads in the oil pan.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SporkLover
If the shop messed it up..... why are you worried about replacing it? They should!!!!
they wouldnt own up to it. they said the guy that did the car didnt even know how to do a heli coil. What am I suposed to do then?
Old 08-08-2005, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

obv he didnt know...as you can see from the helicoil i have here..if and if i for sure KNEW that they did it..i mean..you personally changed your oil last time or are the only one that has changed it and knew for a fact that the shop was the last one to touch it..then i would just wait until there was a shitload of people in there and just go ballistic..i mean ..be like I PHUCKING change the oil on my car and i know how to screw in a GO#AM drain plug..just becuause your IDIOT mechanic tried imacting it in and f'D up the threads you wont fix it...NOW i have shavings all in my oil bc obv for a helicoil you need to drill out the hole then retap it..stop driving it and flush your oil out..im sure its full of it.. i hate **** like this.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redbandit98
obv he didnt know...as you can see from the helicoil i have here..if and if i for sure KNEW that they did it..i mean..you personally changed your oil last time or are the only one that has changed it and knew for a fact that the shop was the last one to touch it..then i would just wait until there was a shitload of people in there and just go ballistic..i mean ..be like I PHUCKING change the oil on my car and i know how to screw in a GO#AM drain plug..just becuause your IDIOT mechanic tried imacting it in and f'D up the threads you wont fix it...NOW i have shavings all in my oil bc obv for a helicoil you need to drill out the hole then retap it..stop driving it and flush your oil out..im sure its full of it.. i hate **** like this.

yeah it was all metalic looking when I drained it out. I know for a fact they were the last ones to toch it. I was on patrol and my mom took it up there for me to get it done for me other then that it sat under a cover.

It wont hurt the car to sit with no oil for a few days will it? I put a ruber gromet in the hole to keep dirt and **** out.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

were they the last ones to touch the car? Can you prove that they did the heli-coil? Did they charge you, or tell you thats what they had done?

That's some bad juju... I would have been all over them after they screwed it up and requested that they pay for a new pan. Heli-Coils are bandaids... they dont fix the problems
Old 08-08-2005, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'd be pissed and you bet they would be paying for it.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:12 AM
TECH Regular

You must have taken it to Wal-Mart! The local wal-mart has had to replace a few oil pans and engines. I would never let someone that works at walmart work on my car!