Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tired of exhaust drone? Do what I did. (long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tired of exhaust DRONE? Do what I did. (long)

We all want performance. That comes with not only financial cost but most times it comes with noise. Annoying noise.

If you are in the club of daily drivers, people who enjoy using the car with a female passenger, going for cruises, driving around town, you know it is very hard to not get annoyed with the ported heads + giant cam + headers combination.

Well, when I decided to put TEA 5.3 heads, F13 cam, QTP headers, QTP Catted Y-pipe in front of my GMMG I knew I would be headed to the right direction powerwise.

The problem was the noise. Although I do love the resulting exhaust sound after those mods, to be honest I did get annoyed when driving the car "normally".

1900~2500 rpm was my nightmare zone, drone that shook my brain and almost no rasp due the cats. Turns out that when cruising and driving normally that's the rpm range I use the most. WOT was NASCAR style, cop magnet but indeed a beatiful sound.

Enter the Borla XR-1.

I installed this round straigh-through muffler on the I-pipe, just before the GMMG and after the QTP Y-pipe with cats.

Let me just tell you, this is one of the best mods I ever did. The drone is still there, but now it's at IDLE -- which is very cool because cam lope + deep idle = turn heads.

The sound got deep, VERY deep. The little rasp after the cats is GONE. The drone at 2000rpm is basicaly 10% of what it used to be.

The car now is a little louder than stock, and way quieter than the GMMG alone. AND - what is awesome - the quality of the rumble is there 100%.

I see myself more often than before dropping the hammer because there's no more fear of attracting cops.

- I can carry a conversation now
- I can talk on the phone now
- I can listen to music now
- I look forward to driving my car all the time now

So.... if you see your car as a cruiser with a smooth, high quality low rumble, a car that you can WOT as much as you want without bringing the dead out of their graves, here's the perfect solution after heads, cam, etc:

1) Catted Y-pipe
2) Borla XR-1 on I-pipe
3) GMMG after XR-1

Sleeper? Yes. Boring? Absolutely not.

Borla XR-1

Last edited by WS6freak; 08-27-2005 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the same thing with great results. Be forwarned though, it gets louder over time as the absorbant material gets clogged so you will have to replace it in time.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:37 PM
11 Second Club

Awesome, I'll be looking forward to do that since my plan is to get the GMMG catback and the F13 cam when I get back from Iraq.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:08 AM
Launching!

WS6freak, did you notice any lost of hp or tq with the addition of the XR-1? Thanks!
Old 08-30-2005, 12:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

How would you say all of your mods sound compared to say, a stock car, or a car with no cam, but no cats.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaddySS
I did the same thing with great results. Be forwarned though, it gets louder over time as the absorbant material gets clogged so you will have to replace it in time.
Really? I might ditch my resonator soon for the Borla XR-1.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Blue Hawk
WS6freak, did you notice any lost of hp or tq with the addition of the XR-1? Thanks!
No. If there's any I think it's very marginal, and only a Mustang Dyno would catch. Nothing that I am worried about for a daily driver. It's a straight through muffler, so no prob.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by satinleafct
How would you say all of your mods sound compared to say, a stock car, or a car with no cam, but no cats.
They sound deeper and louder than a stock WITH cats. I don't know how a non-modded car sounds like without cats. I would say my car is LESS louder than a stock without cats, but it's just a guess.

Since I have heads, cam, headers, etc... the tone is deeper, much deeper, even through I have cats. The XR-1 kills the rasp and lowers the drone.