Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happens if caught with no cats?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 09:26 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,235 Posts

Originally Posted by 1998Z20what?
but in emission abiding states fines can reach and exceed $3000/ cat, and u can get in serious crap, due to the ozone layer bull####.
Yes, but how exactly is the law written? Are the fines for removal of the cats or for merly operating the vehicle without cats? That's what really makes the difference. If it's written to state removal, then if you bought the car used you're in the clear; they have no way of proving whether it was you or the previous owner that pulled them off. If the fine is for operation of the car without cats, then you still might be OK depending on how the law is worded. If it's something like "illegal to knowingly operate a motor vehicle on public highways without xxx emissions equpitment..." then you'd be fine unless they could prove you actually knew they were missing. So again, I'd say just play dumb.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tell the 5-0 you are a long time big contributer to the ozone depletion club. Then ask him if the letters F. O. Mean anything?
Old 11-12-2005, 10:17 AM
TECH Junkie

cut your original cat in half and gut it, then wrap it around your exhaust. if people look under your car they will see cats. or you can do this with high flow cats.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:14 PM
Launching!

Yea here in Cali they will really bust your ***** 4 having no cats, i drove around 4 2 years with out them and no problems, i even got an exhaust ticket but not 4 no cats just for FLOWMASTERS so i out them back on, i know some guy that got cracked for that ****, it was 3 grand for him and it would have been 7 grang for the shop that did that **** 2 if u rat them out of course
Old 11-12-2005, 05:00 PM
TECH Junkie

gotta love Louisiana for this kinda ****. emmisions, whats that? cars can be bellowing smoke out the exhaust and the cops won't do them ****. they don't even look if you have an SES light on. i ain't worried about gettin caught without cats at all. if i move, im goin to cut my factory cats in half and weld 1/2 of it to the exhaust so it looks like i have something. im figuring that my true duals are going to be a bit distracting from no cats
Old 11-12-2005, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What's a cat? Never heard of a car having those here in Alabama. Emissions what? Test? Huh?

No cats since 2002. I used to run my cutout open every day of the week, and even the few times that I was pulled over for speeding I never heard anything about my exhaust being too loud.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:00 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It depends on the emission laws in your state/county, there is no federal standard on what they will fine you on removing your cats. California just likes to **** you a little more than everyone else. Illinois is not far behind though. I have been running on ORY on my car, and have had no problems.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Coy
It depends on the emission laws in your state/county, there is no federal standard on what they will fine you on removing your cats. California just likes to **** you a little more than everyone else. Illinois is not far behind though. I have been running on ORY on my car, and have had no problems.
IL is nothing like CA when it comes to emissions. In IL, there is no visual to pass (unless you fail three times and are attempting to get a wavier) and no sniffer for '96 and up. IL is EASY to deal with compared to CA, I've only known one person in IL to get a ticket for no cats, and the fine was minimal (around $100 IIRC), it was just an improper exhaust ticket. I can't tell you how many times I've been pulled over in IL while driving a loud, lopey, clearly un-filtered (no cats) car and the cops have never mentioned a word to me about the exhaust.

And as for federal fines, yes, there is a federal standard and it is as follows:

The federal tampering prohibition is contained in section 203(a)(3) of the Clean Air Act (Act), 42 U.S.C. 7522(a)(3). Section 203(a)(3)(A) of the Act prohibits any person from removing or rendering inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in any motor vehicle in compliance with regulations under Title II of the Act (i.e., regulations requiring certification that vehicles meet federal emissions standards). The maximum civil penalty for a violation of this section by a manufacturer or dealer is $25,000; for any other person, $2,500. Accordingly, any change from the original certified configuration of a vehicle or engine, or the manufacture or sale of a non-original equipment aftermarket part or system could be considered a violation of section 203(a)(3) of the Act. This would include modifications to the fuel delivery system.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Yes, but how exactly is the law written? Are the fines for removal of the cats or for merly operating the vehicle without cats? That's what really makes the difference. If it's written to state removal, then if you bought the car used you're in the clear; they have no way of proving whether it was you or the previous owner that pulled them off. If the fine is for operation of the car without cats, then you still might be OK depending on how the law is worded. If it's something like "illegal to knowingly operate a motor vehicle on public highways without xxx emissions equpitment..." then you'd be fine unless they could prove you actually knew they were missing. So again, I'd say just play dumb.

The "i didn't realize my car doesn't have cats" argument won't work. The burden of proof is on you if you are driving your car without cats. Just like if you get caught with drugs in your car.....it's up to you to prove they were already in there before you bought the car.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:00 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
The "i didn't realize my car doesn't have cats" argument won't work. The burden of proof is on you if you are driving your car without cats. Just like if you get caught with drugs in your car.....it's up to you to prove they were already in there before you bought the car.
I disagree. If the car was bought used and you play dumb (well), and you have never had a ticket/fine for anything relating to this type of offence, then there is reasonable doubt. If you have previous violations that were similar, then the doubt would be slim. Just like drugs, if you had a spotless record, didn't fit a profile, can't be tied to any persons or locations where drugs are known to be bought/sold, and bought the car used, then there would be reasonable doubt.

And so far the only laws I can find are in regards to the actual removal of the cats being illegal, but I can't find exact wording on the law about operating the car without cats. If the laws states "knowingly", then the law must somehow be able to prove that you were aware of the missing equpitment before a fine could be imposed. Again, any previous record will likely play a role in the decision.

Granted, it'd probably take a lawyer to fight this battle but it could be done. People hire lawyers all the time to have reduced/get out of serious speeding, DUI, drag racing, etc., situations so why would this be any different?
Old 11-13-2005, 01:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Negligance is never an excuse. That's just how law enforcement works. You can do all the wishfull thinking you want, but it still won't change the facts. You are responsible for what you have or don't have on your car period. You can argue that you weren't aware of there not being any cats, but if the officer wants to give you a ticket he can, excuses and all.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:44 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
Negligance is never an excuse. That's just how law enforcement works. You can do all the wishfull thinking you want, but it still won't change the facts. You are responsible for what you have or don't have on your car period. You can argue that you weren't aware of there not being any cats, but if the officer wants to give you a ticket he can, excuses and all.
Yes, you would likely get an improper exhaust ticket. But that is a very minor fine (at least in my area). They can't slap you with the $2500 federal fine for cat removal unless they can prove you actually removed it. And they can't hit you for any operation fines if the law states "knowingly", and they can't prove you knew about it.

All I'm saying is, if it's a used car and you play dumb, 99% chance is the worst you're going to face is a minor ticket and be forced to put cats back on the car.

Why do I feel this is the case? Because I know someone that got a ticket for no cats, and that's all it was; an improper exhaust ticket. Nothing major, nothing serious, no $2500+ fine. From what I recall, the ticket was no more expensive than a minor speeding ticket.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 11-13-2005 at 09:58 AM.

Quick Reply: What happens if caught with no cats?