Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pacesetter Y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 01:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pacesetter Y-pipe

I installed the P.S. LT headers & y-pipe on my 02 SS and love them they really gave the car a personality. I am unhappy with the y-pipe hitting the floor board under my feet, even at 1/4 throttle. I have tried loosening all the clamps and using a prybar to get more clearance between the y-pipe and the floor board, that really got me no where. So then I stuck a 1x4 piece of wood between the y-pipe and floorboard, and drove it around, came back retightened the clamps. That helped alot. I can now give it full throttle with just very little knocking on my feet. But thats not good enough I dont want any knocking. Anyboby have the same problem, if so have any pointers you can give me. THANKS
Old 11-26-2005, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lwiley
I installed the P.S. LT headers & y-pipe on my 02 SS and love them they really gave the car a personality. I am unhappy with the y-pipe hitting the floor board under my feet, even at 1/4 throttle. I have tried loosening all the clamps and using a prybar to get more clearance between the y-pipe and the floor board, that really got me no where. So then I stuck a 1x4 piece of wood between the y-pipe and floorboard, and drove it around, came back retightened the clamps. That helped alot. I can now give it full throttle with just very little knocking on my feet. But thats not good enough I dont want any knocking. Anyboby have the same problem, if so have any pointers you can give me. THANKS

LOTS of people have this problem with the PS Y-pipe... that's why most people you see with PS LT's are running a differnt Y... usually TSP's. One person in particular that had this same problem was 01TA - maby he'll chime in and let ya know what he did... wasn't a total fix but helped a lot.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

I just installed P.S. headers and their POS Y-pipe....after several WOT runs, I haven't noticed it hitting the car but that could be because I also changed the motor mounts to Prothane (motor mounts)...It wasn't too big of a head ache when I was doin it with the header swap. I wish I could give you some better advice, swaping the motor mounts while the headers are in can be a bi*ch
Old 11-26-2005, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol you have to dremel out the insaide of the y-yipe too. lol do what my friend did to his lol look where its hitting and get a hammer to it lol just a little, but its enuff, I got TSP y and love it
Old 11-26-2005, 11:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at where its hitting, usually the flattened out parts of the ypipe, go to your local parts store and pick up some radiator/rubber hose, slip it in between the areas and tighten them down with rings. I cant remember the exact name but its the ones you use a flathead with and open and close as you twist. May seem ghetto but it works, the more the better too.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

i just ordered the bumpstop hanger from thunderracing for my TSP Y pipe that i will be installing here soon, thought might aswell get it and not have any banging then putting some heater hose under there that would look crappy and
Old 11-26-2005, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

i just ordered the bumpstop hanger from thunderracing for my TSP Y pipe that i will be installing here soon, thought might aswell get it and not have any banging then putting some heater hose under there that would look crappy and prolly come out in time.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Got the Bumpstop Hanger as well, well worth $40 bucks. It's easier than motor mounts and works great.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts

This is what i did when i had a Ypipe/catback....

cut the hose down the middle, find where the Y is banging, open the hose & get some small screws & tack it to the car... ( undercarriage ).. Very Easy, cost efficient & NO MORE BANGING...

worked for me..

Originally Posted by SLIKWS6
Take a look at where its hitting, usually the flattened out parts of the ypipe, go to your local parts store and pick up some radiator/rubber hose, slip it in between the areas and tighten them down with rings. I cant remember the exact name but its the ones you use a flathead with and open and close as you twist. May seem ghetto but it works, the more the better too.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:20 PM
12 Second Club

Had the same problem with the PS LT's and TSP ORY.
The inside of the Y pipe needs to be ground. Here's a before, sorta, I had already started grinding before I thought to grab the camera.

After:

Despite having the Mufflex hanger I had a really hard time getting the TSP Y pipe aligned just right, it was still making noise at wot. After alot of frustration I finally took the car over to Speed Inc, they re-adjusted and it hasen't made a peep since. It took them all of 10 minutes.
http://nick.vettextc.net/Ypipe/Mufflex.jpg

Last edited by SLPSS01; 11-27-2005 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:41 PM
Staging Lane

well about to put pc l/t's and tsp offroad pipe on here in a week or so, got the car all ready to go. Isnt my daily driver so i went ahead and pulled everything out. I guess ill see if i have any banging when i am done
Old 11-27-2005, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

this is what i did with my s.w. y pipe yeah its 2.5 but the same applyes...

i found where it was bangin when the body drops down in 2 places on the driver side.. i had some 1" lowerinf blocks layin around from when i had my s10.. put it between the ypipe and the floor..got a jack and jacked up on the ypipe.. the stainless was strong eknouf to lift my driverside off the ground..but it flattened the top of the pipe and i lowered it down took it around the block and i havent had a problem yet.. just a lil cheep fix and if you look under there you dont seen no rig on the pipe or a hose clamped on..just my .02

Quick Reply: Pacesetter Y-pipe