Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Bigger always Better??

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 09:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is Bigger always Better??

Here soon.. I will be trying to squeeze every hp outta my setup to achieve a goal. Currently I'm Running 1 3/4 SLP Long tubes with ORYP and 3" Exhaust through a cutout.. What gains if any would I see going to a 1 7/8 Headers??? True Duals?? 4" exhaust??

Thanks,
Justin
Old 12-02-2005, 09:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

What setup?

And why every HP, because I bet there are a ton of other things which you could do also.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:48 AM
TECH Resident

In short, if your engine isn't bigger, even if it flows better, bigger can be bad for performance. If you go too big (like heads and cam) you're gonna have an engine with NO bottom end power and that'll probably fall on it's face part way down the track even with good tuning. 1 7/8ths is considered overkill and will, in most cases, loose low end power for minimal top-end gains (if you've got a 408 stroker or bigger, go for it, if not - I'd stick with the 1 3/4 or go for some stepped headers. If 3" is about the limit I'd put on exhaust pipes on even fairly heavily modded LS1's. No catback can outflow a cutout but IMHO, I like true duals - they sound great and flow amazingly well - only drawback is ground clearance (you'll loose some with a cutout too depending on where you put it). Anyone feel free to 'take me to school' if I've said anything false . Good luck making more power.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
What setup?

And why every HP, because I bet there are a ton of other things which you could do also.
I'm on the AFR 205 G5X3 setup.. I've pretty much accounted for every other area... Ported 90/90 combo, ASP pulleys, Electric WP. etc etc
Old 12-02-2005, 11:28 PM
Launching!

Anyone feel free to 'take me to school' if I've said anything false. Well GTObsessor. I'm taking you to school. I have true duals on my car that goes over the axle and exits out the rear from beneath the bumper in the stock location and I have MORE ground clearance with the duals than I had with that stupid, power robbing "Y" pipe system. I have no idea where all you guys get the idea that dual exhaust has a ground clearance problem. If the system is designed properly, there is no ground clearance problem. (I designed my own system and had a muffler shop friend built it for my car.) It was designed to look like a factory system. Yes, I used the stock manifolds and I left the cats. in their stock location. So, I have the performance gains of a dual exhaust system, (about a 5 percent (15 horses) horsepower gain over that stupid 'Y' pipe system), better ground clearance, A system that is street legal in all 50 states and it all looks stock. What more could one ask for.

Last edited by JEB Garner; 12-03-2005 at 12:01 AM.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:33 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

True duals with bullets will give you the biggest gains. Also 3" is plenty.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

You can't over exhaust an LS1.. Sure going with a bigger setup you will lose some down low but you gain it back up top and some through the curve. I think most of us spend most of the time in the upper RPM range when we race.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:15 PM
TECH Regular

if you are trying to get all the horsepower out of your setup you should seriously consider getting rid of those slp headers.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
You can't over exhaust an LS1.. Sure going with a bigger setup you will lose some down low but you gain it back up top and some through the curve. I think most of us spend most of the time in the upper RPM range when we race.
don't be stupid of course you can 'over exhaust' it. Try reading the sticky about exhausts, or look up some of David Vizards work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for high rpm's, well if you're exhaust is performing best at 6800-9000rpm it's pretty usless on a LS1

Last edited by WILWAXU; 12-07-2005 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JEB Garner
I designed my own system and had a muffler shop friend built it for my car.) It was designed to look like a factory system. Yes, I used the stock manifolds and I left the cats. in their stock location. So, I have the performance gains of a dual exhaust system, (about a 5 percent (15 horses) horsepower gain over that stupid 'Y' pipe system), better ground clearance, A system that is street legal in all 50 states and it all looks stock. What more could one ask for.
Pictures?? A copy of your design? Think your muffler shop buddy wants to make another?
Old 12-03-2005, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Griswold
if you are trying to get all the horsepower out of your setup you should seriously consider getting rid of those slp headers.
Why is that? SLP longtube headers flow just as well, maybe better, than the other 1 3/4" header made for an LS1, except for maybe Kooks. Even switching to Kooks there won't be much of a gain.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

Anyone feel free to 'take me to school' if I've said anything false. Well GTObsessor. I'm taking you to school. I have true duals on my car that goes over the axle and exits out the rear from beneath the bumper in the stock location and I have MORE ground clearance with the duals than I had with that stupid, power robbing "Y" pipe system. I have no idea where all you guys get the idea that dual exhaust has a ground clearance problem. If the system is designed properly, there is no ground clearance problem. (I designed my own system and had a muffler shop friend built it for my car.) It was designed to look like a factory system. Yes, I used the stock manifolds and I left the cats. in their stock location. So, I have the performance gains of a dual exhaust system, (about a 5 percent (15 horses) horsepower gain over that stupid 'Y' pipe system), better ground clearance, A system that is street legal in all 50 states and it all looks stock. What more could one ask for.
sounds nice.

BUT a well designed Y pipe cat back will have offered the same gain.

And no way is a cat back going to give you 15bhp without doing some thing with the headers and CATS. There is such a thing as flow rate?

If you want to know more about it have a look at the sticky about exhausts/mods

BTW - duals are not always better.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CRL 01 SS
Why is that? SLP longtube headers flow just as well, maybe better, than any other 1 3/4" header made for an LS1, except for maybe Kooks. Even switching to Kooks there won't be much of a gain.
Can you prove any of your claims, or are you just basing it on here say?

And why are Kooks so good? There are many many other manufactures out there which offer similar headers.

Is this mearly the fact that you yourself have SLP headers and like to try and prove they are as good??

I'm not saying SLP headers arn't any good, but they are however:
-expensive
-do have clearance issues (proven)
-have also seen and heard of claims of making more power with alternative headers in direct comparison on rolling road dyno's.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Can you prove any of your claims, or are you just basing it on here say?

And why are Kooks so good? There are many many other manufactures out there which offer similar headers.

Is this mearly the fact that you yourself have SLP headers and like to try and prove they are as good??

I'm not saying SLP headers arn't any good, but they are however:
-expensive
-do have clearance issues (proven)
-have also seen and heard of claims of making more power with alternative headers in direct comparison on rolling road dyno's.
No, I wasn't defending the SLP headers because I have them. I agree that the ground clearance sucks on the passenger side, but other than that they are not bad headers. People bash them all the time and say that they don't flow well, which is false. I was asking Griswold why he thought that the person who started the thread should "seriously consider getting rid of the SLPs." Like I said, I don't consider the SLP headers to be the best flowing header availabe for the LS1, but they're not the worst either. If you have a dyno sheet that shows otherwise, post it up.

Last edited by CRL 01 SS; 12-03-2005 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing they didn't teach you in school, is that true duels AREN'T 50 state legal. They aren't legal in California or any of the other states that have adopted California emission standards. I'd be interested to see some pics of your setup, because MOST people do have ground clearance problems with TD's. There are only so many ways you can route TD's under an f-body, and I think I've seen pics of all of them.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:31 PM
TECH Regular

I didn't intend to start the slp vs. the world debate with my comment. I have seen a lot of people pick up power switching from slp to another 1 3/4 header. Do a search and I'm sure you will see what I mean. Not to mention the ground clearance is a lot better with other headers.

For this particular application, if he has afr 205's, g5x3, ported 90/90, pulley, ewp, etc.....I would be willing to bet money he would pick up power all over the place switching to another header. Just my opinion of course.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:27 AM
TECH Resident

It better be WELL worth it for me to switch headers..