Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

header install help please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 05:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default header install help please!!!

Ok so I am in the process of installing my ceramic coated pacesetters, I have read the Hanes manual and many install guides online but I still need some help.

1)How exactly do you get the spark plugs out so i can drop the stock exhaust manifold???

2)Should you take the cats off first then the manifolds or get the header studs off and drop the manifold with the cat still attached?

I might have some more questions later but ANY help, tips, pics, guides would be AWESOME
Old 12-12-2005, 05:57 PM
11 Second Club

http://www.geocities.com/foff667/98Camaropg4.html
Old 12-12-2005, 05:58 PM
11 Second Club

You get the spark plugs out however you can. I was able to get to all of them with the manifolds on from the top. The passenger side rear plug had to come out from underneath though.

It's easiest to take off the y-pipe first, then pull the manifolds out from under the car.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by drummydummy
Ok so I am in the process of installing my ceramic coated pacesetters, I have read the Hanes manual and many install guides online but I still need some help.

1)How exactly do you get the spark plugs out so i can drop the stock exhaust manifold???

2)Should you take the cats off first then the manifolds or get the header studs off and drop the manifold with the cat still attached?

I might have some more questions later but ANY help, tips, pics, guides would be AWESOME
1) I took all of the spark plugs out from the top except for #8, that one's way to easy from the bottom.

2) I pretty much disassembled the whole exhaust system before pulling out the manifolds but I was doing headers and duals at the same time. Everything came apart pretty easily even though half the bolts broke on me. Once I had everything off the manifolds slid out the bottom really easily and the headers went right back in even easier.

Good luck man, you'll have it done in no time.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

I took the exhaust off piece by piece. I got 7 plugs from the top, then got the back passenger side plug from underneath. When you do this install be sure to have the car way up in the air. If you are doing this on the ground, be sure to have jacks that will lift the car up enough so that you can turn the new headers around under the front of the car. I had mine like 2-3 ft off the ground. Only issue I had was getting the driver side header in because of the extra piece of casting on the block, what I did to get the header up there was placed another jack under the header and forced the header up there which moved the motor on its mount for a second, worked great.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

got my car high up in the air and they slid right in like butter
Old 12-13-2005, 12:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks a lot guys, really. I ended up leaving the cats on the manifolds and pulled them out from the bottom. I just finished bolting up the drivers side header and stopped for the night. It got caught on that lovely extra block casting but with a little force it went right in. I was actually suprised at how easy the drivers side header went in after all the horror stories I heard of the drivers side header install! Now I have a new problem - the air connection for the drivers side does NOT match the new pacesetter air connection! This means I'll probably go ahead and take the systems out. I'll keep ya'll updated on how the rest goes tomorrow! OH one more thing. . .

Any tips on how to get all the stuff disconnected on the passenger side. It's kinda snug up there at the top next to the coil packs.

THANKS GUYS!

Last edited by drummydummy; 12-13-2005 at 01:08 AM.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:43 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do a search for !AIR.
Good luck!