Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

over the axle dual...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default over the axle dual...?

Has anyone done this? use this product to relocate your panhard rod, in order to run 3 in piping over the axle? and does this work!!!!? http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...id=460&pcid=88
is it work it? right now i have dumps but i really dont like the rear of my T/A so empty and cause i think it would looks better with some tips. does anyone have pics?
Old 01-03-2006, 06:12 PM
TECH Veteran

I believe that's required to get 3" over the axle. I would say to do a search for some pics but the search is probably down again. (I'm at home on dial-up so I'm not even attempting to do a search now)
Old 01-03-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Damn! Why didn't I see that before?!
Old 01-03-2006, 09:00 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for that price just remove your PHR!
Old 01-03-2006, 09:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
for that price just remove your PHR!
but dont u need your panhard rod? For about 200 bucks it isnt bad, right?
Old 01-03-2006, 09:28 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

I ran without one for a long time. put it on when I took of my duals, and still didnt notice. there is a handful of people that take them off. They are also the ones that dont have front sway's. It is not a necessary part, granted it might help some.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
I ran without one for a long time. put it on when I took of my duals, and still didnt notice. there is a handful of people that take them off. They are also the ones that dont have front sway's. It is not a necessary part, granted it might help some.
you evidently have no idea about handling, lol

First off a panhard rod is totally different to an anti-roll bar (sway bar), they do very different things.

An anti roll bar is a solution to an inherant suspension failure. It reduces body roll under lateral loading. A panhard rod on the other hand controls lateral location of the rear axel under load.

If you noticed no difference with it off then you must drive like a girl, because it will make a massive difference with rear end control and on the limit handling characteristics.

Last edited by 300bhp/ton; 01-04-2006 at 04:58 AM.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by EVIL TA
Has anyone done this? use this product to relocate your panhard rod, in order to run 3 in piping over the axle? and does this work!!!!? http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...id=460&pcid=88
is it work it? right now i have dumps but i really dont like the rear of my T/A so empty and cause i think it would looks better with some tips. does anyone have pics?
I don't know much about the kit, but 3" duals are not really needed until 600bhp. And then it's still pretty boarderline as 2.5" duals will only be slightly restrictive. On a normal bolt on/cam car with 370-400 geniune (not Dynojet) rwhp a 3" will more than likely result in a slight loss of low end compared to 2.5" duals.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:25 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
I don't know much about the kit, but 3" duals are not really needed until 600bhp. And then it's still pretty boarderline as 2.5" duals will only be slightly restrictive. On a normal bolt on/cam car with 370-400 geniune (not Dynojet) rwhp a 3" will more than likely result in a slight loss of low end compared to 2.5" duals.
Somehow I knew that you were going to chime in on this and drop the "overkill" remark on the 3' duals.

I have my panhard rod on. I ran it off when I had my duals out the back. but it was all higway miles for those few months, so I really was not affected by it's ill-presence. yeah there is a difference if you drive aggresively which I do.
Bald tires sliding all over the place, it seems like i have no suspension at all.

I don't drive like a girl!!!
Old 01-04-2006, 05:27 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

+ I thought that you don't really need a PHR for drag racing. It was more of a DD or auto-X type of thing. BTW I only had an upper one when I got my car. what is up with that?
Old 01-04-2006, 05:36 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Anyone know if i could go and buy TSP TD kit and take it to an exhaust shop and have them finish it out the rear for the rear? Can this be converted like that and could a normal exhaust shop do it?

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 01-04-2006, 05:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

^ u dont need 3in duals, even if u get FI for now. 2.5 duals will be fine. sure any half witted shop can do 99% of the work u ask them to do, for a price of course.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:45 AM
TECH Addict

yes a panhard rod is more concerned with cornering than drag racing. However an adjustable PHR can still be handy as it will allow you to centre the axle better.

Where you'll notice a PHR is under hard cornering, without it the rear axel will move sideways which can cause the car to become unstable and snap into oversteer. The PHR helps prevent this unwanted sideways movement. However PHR's do suffer from arch radius, meaning as the suspension moves up and down so does the location of the axle.

A Watts linkage is a far better bet, but I've never seen one for an Fbody.

As for the 3" duals, well hell, if someone wants them then it's no problem to me .

I'll mod my car how I want to, and leave others to mod thiers

BTW if you're into drag racing duals maynot be the best thing, as you won't be able to fit an aftermarket body mounted torque arm with most dual setups. A good torque arm should net you lower ET's than a dual exhaust will over running a Y pipe setup.

Getting an X pipe to fit would be tight work:
Old 01-04-2006, 05:53 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Got the chromoly BMR TQ arm never had a problem with an Anti-Roll bar.. But I will have a slight problem when I go to 4 link suspension.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:53 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

I get some serious crow hop though!!!
Old 01-04-2006, 08:33 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man...you people. The piece in question is the upper panhard BRACE, not the rod that goes right below it. I have that piece, and still don't think it would be easy (if even possible) to get two 3" pipes over the axle on the passenger side. The heat shielding in that area makes things tight. I have that piece with my 2.5" pipes over the axle, and it is still pretty tight.

IMO, if you want 3" pipes, you'll have to do one pipe over each side. I'd recommend keeping the brace as well.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:54 AM
Launching!

I have this relo kit on order and plan to run custom 3" mandrel-bent duals all the way back, both pipes over the pass axle and out the back. It can be done.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Let me help you put all BS aside..

You CANNOT over exhaust an LS1 even in stock form. It may move power around in the curve alittle but, but the car will pick up ET from it.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Man...you people. The piece in question is the upper panhard BRACE, not the rod that goes right below it. I have that piece, and still don't think it would be easy (if even possible) to get two 3" pipes over the axle on the passenger side. The heat shielding in that area makes things tight. I have that piece with my 2.5" pipes over the axle, and it is still pretty tight.

IMO, if you want 3" pipes, you'll have to do one pipe over each side. I'd recommend keeping the brace as well.
So just b/c you havent done it with 3", it cant be done? thats all i want to know.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Getting an X pipe to fit would be tight work:
I can custom make an X-pipe that will fit in there...Look up in the Tools for Trade section...I was messing around with my new bandsaw and came up with that. Just look at my username and you'll see the pics n ther.e