Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: PCV Options
Leave it alone.
11.11%
Add a catch can.
34.81%
Change to a truck PCV valve.
6.67%
Remove the entire system and run a breather.
47.41%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

What to do with PCV system?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 11:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
vacuum occurs during normal everyday driving right. so where is it going to go if its not going thru the pcv? i like the idea however it just seems as though this would be bad for the seals on my motor.
Vacum is the air going into your motor when the intake valve is open and the piston is traveling down.
its not a bad thing. it's just that car manufactuers use this to run other things, power brakes, PCV valve operation, AC/heater controls.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BackinBlack02SS
Where are these people? It would be nearly impossible to create enough positive pressure to force oil out of any seals.
Whatever , I’m not going to argue with you, I’m just stating what I’ve read from this forum since 2001. As far as "blowing out seals” That's what you said before you edited it to "force oil out of any seals", I don’t know where you got that from. IMO I stated that I would run two breathers only. And some of my reasons are due to condensation building on the top inside of the valve covers, I believe the water vapor is going to want to rise to the top areas of the engine and I would want there to be two breathers to help the water vapor escape, especially if I only drive the car down the street before the car really has enough time to heat up the oil. IMO I would want to vent as much as reasonably possible to prevent this and other oil leaks, as far as running one or ever three breathers there is still going to be a slightly more pressure on the inside of the crank case relative to the outside of the crankcase, That’s why I believe some people start having small oil leaks running breathers and using an oil that tends to leak more like Mobil one, I would want to make sure I have as little pressure in the crank case as possible, that’s all.

Last edited by Oatmeal; 02-03-2006 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

If I get rid of the whole pcv system will I throw codes?
Old 02-03-2006, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rothman
If I get rid of the whole pcv system will I throw codes?
No you will not throw any code's but you probably will not pass a visual smog inspection.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well then I think I'll try it. Thanks
Old 02-04-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SmaknaSS
IMO I would want to vent as much as reasonably possible to prevent this and other oil leaks, as far as running one or ever three breathers there is still going to be a slightly more pressure on the inside of the crank case relative to the outside of the crankcase, That’s why I believe some people start having small oil leaks running breathers and using an oil that tends to leak more like Mobil one, I would want to make sure I have as little pressure in the crank case as possible, that’s all.
OK, I'm confussed now! How would you have more pressure running breathers than a pcv when the breather would allow constant free flow of pressure and the pcv only opens at certain points of pressure Or are you meaning you should run 2 breathers to vent as much pressure as possible from both sides of the engine?

Last edited by FL01SS; 02-04-2006 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

After reading all that it's my impression that changing the PCV system to the LS6 style is probably the safest route to take. A combination of that and a synthetic oil, which i'm trying to find out which, would probably reduce oil consumption.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:53 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i would like to do it more for the fact of getting rid of all that extra crap laying in the bay but its looking like it could cause harm to the car. beings i only have 13k on mine and its about to become a daily driver i think i better stick with what ive got.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FL01SS
OK, I'm confussed now! How would you have more pressure running breathers than a pcv when the breather would allow constant free flow of pressure and the pcv only opens at certain points of pressure Or are you meaning you should run 2 breathers to vent as much pressure as possible from both sides of the engine?
When you run the stock PCV system you allways have a certian amount of vacume in the crank case( Execept at WOT and when it's not connected correctly or have no leaks of course)If you unsrew the oil cap you will see what I mean,you will probably hear air rushing in while its running.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:54 PM
TECH Regular

Right, got that, but were you saying there would be more pressure running breathers than leaving the stock pcv system on there?
Old 02-06-2006, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FL01SS
Right, got that, but were you saying there would be more pressure running breathers than leaving the stock pcv system on there?
there will be more pressure on the crankcase when running breathers because you dont have a vacume source from the intake any longer. but dont worry, the pressure in the crankcase will only be slightly more than the outside of the engine. BTW, Ill probably always run breathers over the stock PCV on every engine I have due to fact that since I started running breathers my engine runs much smoother now and I hardy ever get KR anymore(That makes me feel better about running nitrous now that I dont get KR or hear pinging anymore). I also got tired of seeing oil all over my intake runners on my heads every time I disconnected my intake.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:45 AM
TECH Addict

So you lose vacuum? Does this affect your accessories that are run off it (brakes)?
Old 02-07-2006, 08:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How about this---

Here is my answer:
Remove stock PCV system.
Run fresh air tube from throttle body to DRIVER'S side valve cover.
Cap off 2 tubes on PASSENGER'S side valve cover.
Install breather/oil seperator on PASSENGER'S side valve cover where stock oil fill tube is.
Run hose off breather /oil seperator to a catch can.
Run hose from catch can to intake manifold.

Optional: Buy a second DRIVER'S side valve cover and install on passenger's side of the car to eliminate having to cap the tubes on the stock passenger's side valve cover; and making it easier to install the breather/oil seperator.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:37 AM
TECH Resident

hmm now im thinking about this but im also worried about blowing seals, so here what im gettin if when u take the oil cap off u hear air wooshing in that means when its stock and closed the motor wants to suck air in but it cant, also like someone else said having breather would this cause power stuff to not work properly due to not enough vacum on them sense the breather are giving it all it wants., now on my old 88 monte carlo ss that i had i put a breather in place of the tube that went stright from the air filter box to the valve cover, it always would be oil after about 10k miles so i guess it was venting the oil vapor and such from the crankcase, i also dont remember ever gettin blown seals on it. although i still had the pcv valve on the other side
Old 02-07-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check this out, This company called "GZ motorsports" seems to only specialize in crankcase vacum pumps for a lot less than Ive seen anywhere.

http://www.gzmotorsports.com/street-pump-kits.html
Old 02-07-2006, 10:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SmaknaSS
Check this out, This company called "GZ motorsports" seems to only specialize in crankcase vacum pumps for a lot less than Ive seen anywhere.

http://www.gzmotorsports.com/street-pump-kits.html
$514 is alot less?
Vacume pumps are for race motors.(ie: low tension rings)
Old 02-19-2006, 12:02 AM
TECH Addict

So....

how about that write up?

hmmhmmhm!! I can't seem to figure this out. Vacuum is ncesary to run som eof the accesories. However, if you remove the pcv system, not only will your motor look alot cleaner, but you'll have more ventalation of crank pressure, therefore causing less strain on the seals.

Any i right so far?

Also, i dont see why having anoher breather, unless your worries about not having enough vaccum, would be that much of a big deal.

I was looking at my motor and this is how it works right?..

You have a hose leadin from your driver side to a pcv valve, into you tb. We also have a hose from the passenger side valve cover into the front manifold plug. IS this right? SO to remove the system, i would need to run a breather or two, on the pass oil filler cap (and on the driver side tube that leads to the pcv hose.) Plug the two vents on the pass side of the motor (tb and lower manifold) and that is it?
Old 02-27-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

What do you do about the pcv stuff that is in the valley cover?

just leave it all alone?

None of this will effect accessories in any way?
Old 02-28-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
What do you do about the pcv stuff that is in the valley cover?

just leave it all alone?

None of this will effect accessories in any way?

Unless you have an LS6 engine, there is no pcv stuff in the valley cover. The accessories will not be affected at all.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

So just just rip off any and all rubber lines connecting to and from my valve covers, and plug all openings?
Then just add a breather?

Correct?

Quick Reply: What to do with PCV system?