Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Volant CAI or SLP lid with new filter?
Voland cold air intake
21.93%
SLP lid with a new airfilter
78.07%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

best intake......

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 08:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this may not help anything but i had the stock intake with k&n with mods on my old 99 z i was running 13.7 at 105.? added the slp lid jumped to 13.5 at 107.? only added 1.5 tenths and 1mph or so which is good for a 99 dollar upgrade then i added the slp ssra kit that goes under the k&n run alongside the radiator down to the front of the car jumped to 13.3 at 108-109 again only little here and there but for around $300-$350 around a 4 tenth upgrade and around 4mph increase not bad it worked for me with my particular set-up.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:04 AM
Staging Lane

I have a Ws6 with ram air and it got the flowpac and ram air and it works good to me

Old 02-27-2006, 12:49 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by T-rex
I'm with you,I'd like to see some proof,something other than opinion.
We have never tested against the Volant of FIPK, but in our testing, the FTRA provided high trap speeds, better throttle response and fuel economy over the SLP CAI and the FRA mod.

www.installuniversity.com also did some testing on the FTRA to verify improvements in fuel economy, power and V.E.

We have had several freelance journalists do articles on FTRA improvements but none of the magazines would publish them unless the manufacturer paid to advertise in them!
Old 02-28-2006, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

I bought the H.O. and the fipk, but it'll be a month before i install the. Im going from the lid, LM to fipk, QTPs, ported TB, MSD wires, Dr gas 3" to 2.5" X pipe and STs.

I wonder how much horsepower i will pick up?
Old 02-28-2006, 05:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have and SS with the whisper lid. What else can I do to improve my air intake? Besides upragding to the ls6 intake.

Some that I can do for better ram air or something. You would think that since my car was made at SLP that it would already have the SLP stuff on it stock right?
Old 03-02-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

lid, stop supporting over priced garbage like slp.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:57 PM
Launching!

Why is SLP stuff garbage ?
Old 03-04-2006, 02:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If only I could get a BGRA...
Old 03-06-2006, 03:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fast Toys Performance Parts
Yes, the Volant does seal off air from the engine bay but there is no direct routing of air into the airbox itself (ie. it is still receiving air by engine vacuum alone). Better than FIPK in my opinion but still will not perform as well as a lid and FTRA combo.
Are you referring to the set up on a Z28/SS? I ask 'cause I can plainly see the dual cones in my sealed Volant box on my WS6. I've removed the rear hood baffle which improves the flow of air into the box.

With the setup I have, the only air getting into my TB is outside air.

Whether you have a sealed SS or WS6 hood makes a difference IMHO.

Marc
Old 03-06-2006, 05:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Exactly!!
Old 03-07-2006, 12:42 PM
Teching In

I still just have the stock setup (TA), but if i were to compare the volant and K&N i would go with the volant because of the enclosure (i guess you could make an enclosure for the k&n, to keep out hot engine air and add a ram air effect), but it also seems like from the pictures i have seen that i would be possible to mod the volant shroud to accept a FRA. i did however read that a few people with the volant have had problems with fit.

i can see how a FRA and lid setup could create a higher pressure than the more open volant box, though

If the lid/fra does not supply at least as much air as the engine can possible take in over all rpm's and speeds, then does the volant/k&n?

the pressure and total flow also depend on whether or not you have a ram air hood
if one is able to supply more air at a high rpm while standing still, does it still supply more air at that same rpm at any given speed where the ram air has an effect?

it would take alot of testing to figure out what setup is really a better performer for each aplication (autox vs. drag vs. street), but i am sure that most of the answers to these questions are known by some people

these are just a few thoughts i have, and i can't say how valid each are. hopefully someone who knows alot more than me will post
Old 03-09-2006, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS 2
im kinda shooting myself in the foot here.....(i have a volant for sale)
but i did a back to back dyno test. 5 minutes apart. first with the volant, then with the lid (lid, filter, lower air box, everything) and we picked up 6 rwhp with not touching anything else.......

however the TA version on the volant flows MUCH better do to the neck. and i seriously doubt has the same flow problems as the camaro volant. (do a search ive posted up pics and write up on this problem)
I've seen my car Dyno 337.6HP and 1 minute 40 seconds later it dropped to 332.0 HP With no change AT ALL. So it could be damn near the same power, and Dyno runs could be the only thing causing any change.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:14 PM
12 Second Club

take your hood off, take your lid or volant offf, and uh yea, im sure this will work the best :
Old 03-10-2006, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey guys does anyone have a pic of were to cut under the aircleaner? I tried searching under free mods and such but havent had any luck.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:17 AM
Launching!

Go to http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm and look up the Free Ram Air. It has a complete install guide.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I got a Volant too. I went to it due that, I think, there is so much more air available due to the way the enclosure seals against the hood even if it is not a perfect seal. Im talking about the Volant for the TA with the twin cone filters. All the air that come through those nostrils gets sucked up there instantly. When you accelerate you can hear those cones sucking air too. Plus the bling factor is a must....LOL!

Old 03-11-2006, 12:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by chaman
I got a Volant too. I went to it due that, I think, there is so much more air available due to the way the enclosure seals against the hood even if it is not a perfect seal. Im talking about the Volant for the TA with the twin cone filters. All the air that come through those nostrils gets sucked up there instantly. When you accelerate you can hear those cones sucking air too. Plus the bling factor is a must....LOL!

The reason you are hearing the whistling sound is because the silencers are gone. The same noise is heard with aftermarket lids.

But I do think the Volant like yours look good!
Old 03-11-2006, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

I have been trying to decide on which to get also. The Volant or the SSRA and lid. I can see the argument for both and when thinking about it a little more. It seems that the ssra would funnel the air better than the Volant would (even with the baffles removed). I would think there would be more turbulence with the Volant piece than the way the SSRA would just funnel and shove all the air into the lid. Opinions?
Old 03-22-2006, 06:11 AM
On The Tree

i vote lid and free ram air mod....works for me
Old 03-22-2006, 02:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i vote lid and my set up in signature