Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clearance issue when doing a ravin-mouth? pics please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: king of prussia, pa (home) and williamsport, pa (school)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default clearance issue when doing a ravin-mouth? pics please!!!

alright, usually when you get longtubes and ory then you swap out lm resonator for borla xr-1, or dynomax race muffler or somethin liek that. is there enough room to fit an actual muffler in that spot? i mean a muffler that has 3" center/center. the dimensions of the muffler body are 13.5" x 9" x 4".

ive been searching all day for somebody with pics of the underside of the car exposing their loudmouth or tsp rumbler installation. cant find any that are good. all ive read is that one borla race muffler comes close to hitting driveshaft ... but thats not all the info i need.

has anybody ever done this before? replacing the resonator with an actual muffler?
heres a pic of the muffler i have. its a ravin z33. i dont know any fbody's with this muffler, but trust me .. it will sound amazing

Old 03-22-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

let me try that again

Old 03-22-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Regular

i have heard the borla is a tight fit so i dont know if something like that would fit.....
Old 03-22-2006, 02:21 PM
12 Second Club

I had a Ravin on my car when it was stock. It sounded pretty good.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're not going to even come close to fitting that muffler where the LM resonator goes. That's why you see people using bullets, sweet thunders/powersticks, spiralflows....etc. because there just isn't any room under there.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

I had a LM set up and tried to fit another muffler in its place and there was just no room. When It was up on the stands at the exhaust shop he fit a magnaflo muffler 4x9 in the space where the lm bullet goes but the muffler was a offset/offset style muffler with the inlets and outlets on the same side but still a oval muffler. This was only done by putting the muffler on an angle. it fit but looked horrible and hung wayyyyy to low. Maybe youll have better luck but it def did not work for me. on a side note the ravin mufflers do sound good, you can buy them at midas right.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah midas sells them. i bought mine off ebay from a guy in arizona who gets them. ive never heard this muffler on a chevy, thats why i'd love to hear onyxrock's car or somebody else who has done it. ive only heard this muffler on a dodge truck 4.8L i think .. it sounded amazing. by far the best v8 muffler out there. thats why i went with this one. i figure id experiment a bit, hoping for amazing results
Old 03-23-2006, 12:58 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

put the muffler further back on the I-pipe(where most true dual mufflers go before the axle), and replace the resonator with straight 3" pipe. It would probably look janky, but it would work.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

awesome, i think i will do that. do you have any pictures of anybody doing this? or even so, have you done this on your car???

thanks everybody for your help
Old 03-23-2006, 02:02 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
You're not going to even come close to fitting that muffler where the LM resonator goes. That's why you see people using bullets, sweet thunders/powersticks, spiralflows....etc. because there just isn't any room under there.
theres just no room for that man...if u wana put that muffler on ur car...u gotta put it where it belongs.. in the catBACK under your trunk area...its too tight of a fit and even if u get it to fit in place of the Loudmouth resonator its gonna be horrendous looking and not to mention clearance goes to hell... i have a 3.5" dynomax bullit and it hangs kinda low..i cant imagine an actual muffler put it in the catback like normal pple dont complicate ur life lol
Old 03-23-2006, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if i put it in the back then id have to do more customization. its 3" center/center muffler. id rather experiment a bit and see what i can accomplish. i def plan on taking it to meineke or somethin to have a little bit of piping fixed up. worst comes to worst, ill sell the ravin muffler and just get either moroso bullit or sweet thunder chambered to reaplace the raspy *** loudmouth resonator.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by emerica4601
if i put it in the back then id have to do more customization. its 3" center/center muffler. id rather experiment a bit and see what i can accomplish. i def plan on taking it to meineke or somethin to have a little bit of piping fixed up. worst comes to worst, ill sell the ravin muffler and just get either moroso bullit or sweet thunder chambered to reaplace the raspy *** loudmouth resonator.

Not trying to be a dick here, but you're trying to do the "next to impossible" and you're worried about customization????? Listen, you would have to remove your pass. rear seat and smash the **** out of the floorboard to get a muffler like that to fit where the LM goes. If you must have that muffler, put it where the stock muffler goes and have a single exit on the driver's side. That's the ONLY way you will get that muffler to fit. Trust me man, I built my own exhaust, I know how much room is under that car.
You might as well get your order placed for the bullet or sweet thunder, because it's just not going to work. Period.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

alright ... i took an afternoon and tried to put the ravin muffler in place of the loudmouth on my buddy's t/a with loudmouth catback.

1. no way it would just 'slip into place' and be alright to bolt back up
2. i was able to get 3" inlet of the muffler on the 3" pipe that came off the y pipe.
3. if i removed 1 piece of the stock loudmouth catback (the peice that curves a bit before going over the axle) then i can get the system to work by haveing new piping made.
4. not gonna be expensive. already got it quoted ... under 100 bucks. their only doing about 1 1/2 feet total of bent 3" piping.
5. when i slipped it on my buddy's loudmouth catback, it sounded damn good. not as loud as the loudmouth, but def not raspy. im impressed

once the whole exhaust is complete, ill be sure to start another thread and post pictures and videos.

thanks

Quick Reply: clearance issue when doing a ravin-mouth? pics please!!!