Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T/A and X-pipe clearance

Old 03-27-2006, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default T/A and X-pipe clearance

Hey all, not sure where to put this so mods feel free to move it...

I am thinking about getting torque arm that attaches to the center support like, like spohn and a few others. I am just wondering if I run an x-Pipe type exhaust would it fit around the Y-pipe style T/A mount or should I just go with the flat mount???

Pics, of anything like this combo would be good too, so I can estimate clearance...

Thanks,
Old 03-28-2006, 07:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geez ah nobody has taken pics yet oh man holy cow um Somebody lol needs to knock over a truck of guns and cigs and run oft with the money to really get this **** out there
Old 03-28-2006, 10:42 PM
Launching!

If you are going to use an "X" pipe, why are you concerned about a "Y" pipe? I believe that "X" pipes (and "H" pipes) was used with dual exhaust. If you have dual exhaust, you don't have a "Y" pipe.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SlowFormula
Hey all, not sure where to put this so mods feel free to move it...

I am thinking about getting torque arm that attaches to the center support like, like spohn and a few others. I am just wondering if I run an x-Pipe type exhaust would it fit around the Y-pipe style T/A mount or should I just go with the flat mount???

Pics, of anything like this combo would be good too, so I can estimate clearance...

Thanks,
If you have LT's you need to go for the t/a that works with LT's regardless of mid pipe design.

The main issue is an X pipe typically wants to sit directly where the t/a mounts to the chassis. Take a look at Spohn or UMI's website for pics of a t/a.

I have seen one pic where the X was actually fitted in the section of the t/a arm where the Y pipe would normally go, it looked a tight fit (possible banging issues) and would certainly need to be custom made.

A 'H-pipe' arrangement would be easier to locate, either that or stick with a good Y setup.

Y pipes are pretty decent really, as they scavenge in a similar manor to an X-pipe. A 3" Y pipe will not really be a detrement on a bolt on cammed LS1. A 3.5" Y will flow about the same as 2.5" duals.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:40 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JEB Garner
If you are going to use an "X" pipe, why are you concerned about a "Y" pipe? I believe that "X" pipes (and "H" pipes) was used with dual exhaust. If you have dual exhaust, you don't have a "Y" pipe.
Not to bust your *****, but did you even read the question? It was in reference to running an X-pipe style dual exhaust when you have a torque arm mount that has the relief for a Y-pipe, and if there are any clearance problems. I am just trying to figure out if it is possible to tuck the dual system up into that Y-pipe relief in the T/A mount, or if I should get the straight mount and run the exhaust below it. I have no concerns about a Y-pipe in dual exhaust setups, and definitely know the difference...
Old 03-29-2006, 08:02 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1SlowFormula
Not to bust your *****, but did you even read the question? It was in reference to running an X-pipe style dual exhaust when you have a torque arm mount that has the relief for a Y-pipe, and if there are any clearance problems. I am just trying to figure out if it is possible to tuck the dual system up into that Y-pipe relief in the T/A mount, or if I should get the straight mount and run the exhaust below it. I have no concerns about a Y-pipe in dual exhaust setups, and definitely know the difference...
Yo, slam

John, sorry no pics but I have the sophn torque arm mounted to the tunnel and an X pipe that was custom made to fit. Tight!!!!!!!!!! as a mother, but it works.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:07 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
The main issue is an X pipe typically wants to sit directly where the t/a mounts to the chassis. Take a look at Spohn or UMI's website for pics of a t/a.

I have seen one pic where the X was actually fitted in the section of the t/a arm where the Y pipe would normally go, it looked a tight fit (possible banging issues) and would certainly need to be custom made.

A 'H-pipe' arrangement would be easier to locate, either that or stick with a good Y setup.
That's what I was worried about, it being too tight. A guy with a vert showed me this pic, but he doesn't have the T/A mounted there and think it looks pretty tight if it was. I found this thread too, but he had to mod his T/A mount to run it under and keep ground clearance... I can see how and H would be easier but I really like the sound from an X exhaust. Would anyone actually know if you make an H that has a really short crosover that it might sound more like an x design? meaning if 2 pipes are right next to each other and maybe even barely touching and you put a crossover in there.

Actually I think I found the answer myself, here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....57&postcount=6
Old 03-29-2006, 08:08 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mvonada
Yo, slam

John, sorry no pics but I have the sophn torque arm mounted to the tunnel and an X pipe that was custom made to fit. Tight!!!!!!!!!! as a mother, but it works.
Do you get any sort of banging under hard aceleration???
Old 03-29-2006, 08:59 AM
Banned

I don't know if I've already mentioned it before although what I have is a non specific image of duals routed over the axle and out the back This is what it is from outside hopefully this helps actually it fits very nice without being too restrictive and besides the characteristic of welding what you want to look out for is clearance between the car and the actual exhaust If you have that paricular clearance technically interference is no longer an issue and in addition the poly mounts that it's based on keep the vibration to an absolute minimum for you I really like it after finding sets of options everywhere from different duals Anyway now I digress so hopefully this is an image that helps out I totally believe it's nice and has all the required characterisitcs to help you to appropriately make a decision.
Attached Thumbnails T/A and X-pipe clearance-bassani_ground.jpg  
Old 03-29-2006, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

lol, they're talking about mounting a chaissis mounted torque arm. It also has a driveshaft loop typically and incorporates and transmission tunnel brace as part of the mount. In this pic you can see there is no room to mount an X-pipe in it's most logical location.

It's certainly possible but it will be a tight fit for sure.

Search this Thread