Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Budget Long Tubes Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 01:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ric, the key here is lsx series engines. Sure for a short block chevy
things are cheap but not so for these engines.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Nothing performance wise is cheap for these cars.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:50 PM
11 Second Club

i bought true budget headers, lol flowtech LT's uncoated and ORY- 396.00 shipped, lol from thunderracing i believe
Old 04-04-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went w/ pacesetter coated, ory, magnaflow all from TSP. they are being installed as i'm typing
Old 04-04-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Coated flowtechs here. Still look good after 2 years.

Only problem I had was that the first set had crooked flanges.

If you get them make sure you check the flanges for straightness.....other than that they are fine.
Seems like opinions change like the wind around here. Back when I got mine everyone loved them

Although if I were to do it over again I would get the pacesetters just because of the way the rest of the exhaust mounts to them. I had to have a custom true dual exhaust made because not many companies use the 3 bolt flange like the flowtechs have...most use the slip fit.

But then again...my custom duals did cost a lot less than the tsp rumbler x, and my system is almost identical.

My advice would be...if you have a good exhaust place nearby that does a lot of custom exhaust work then I would go with the flowtechs, flowtech 3 inch xterminator x pipe kit, and buy a couple of bullet mufflers. This was the cheapest route for me. If not then I would get pacesetters and a tsp rumbler x and install it yourself. Because you are going to want duals eventually...they are awesome.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:13 PM
Teching In

If i delete the codes out of the pcm for the rear o2s, will it effect the odb2 reading for emissions?
Old 04-04-2006, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
Both of those are the WORST headers on the market. Don't even consider them.

I'd get the Pacesetters and the Texas Speed and Performance y-pipe for the Pacesetter headers. The Pacesetters headers themselves are of excellent quality, but the Pacesetter y-pipe is garbage compared to the Hooker and TSP y-pipes.

The problem with the Pacesetter y-pipe is the merge. It has a rough cutout and one pipe overlaps, I've seen two different y-pipes from Pacesetter and none are really nice, but one was horrible. -Joshua

I've seen alot of bad comments on the Flowtech LS headers, specifically a thin flange that often breaks. However, I havent seen anything bad at all about the Hedmans.

Whats your evidence?
Old 04-05-2006, 10:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has been a very helpfull thread. Does anyone know if you get the custom tune and they delete the rear O2's with the tune does the SES light stay on or is that just without the tune?
Old 04-06-2006, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

my pacesetters have nice welds and thick flanges.
you cant go wrong with those headers
Old 04-06-2006, 10:36 AM
Launching!

http://www.burnsstainless.com/TechAr...s_article.html
Old 04-06-2006, 11:01 AM
12 Second Club

What is the difference between ceramic coating and stainless steel? Does one last longer than the other, or are they the same thing? I think this thread may have pursuaded me to go with Pacesetters instead of KOOKS
Old 04-06-2006, 11:08 AM
Launching!

From the article I posted above:

...there are companies that coat headers with a thermal barrier, typically some type of ceramic formula, in order to keep the heat inside the exhaust system. Stainless steel performs this function without the need for add-ons because it has a much lower coefficient of thermal conductivity, thereby keeping more heat inside and transmitting it to the header outlet. Radiated heat is perhaps the most important reason to wrap or ceramic coat the headers to protect the car and the driver from excessive, fatiguing high temperatures.
Typical 1010 carbon (mild) steel conducts 219% more heat per foot than do the types of stainless steel we use in header fabrication. By contrast, quite a bit more heat stays inside the stainless header tubes and does not get passed into the surrounding air. By not allowing the contraction of the cooling gases as they flow down the tubes, more exhaust velocity is retained which promotes better scavenging at the collector. This retention of velocity increases the overall header efficiency.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:13 AM
12 Second Club

^^ So from a temperature stand point Ceramic will perform as well as Stainless. Will Ceramic coating resist rust as well as stainless. I dont want to find myself needing to replce the ceramic coated Pacesetters when the KOOKS would still be holding strong.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:38 AM
Launching!

You should still see slightly higher gains with the stainless. There have been dynos posted to prove it.
I've read posts of people saying their coating wore off in places in as little as 6 months and wishing they'd bought stainless to begin with. I'm sure others will reply saying their coated pipes are going strong for years and years. I decided to shell a few hundred more for the higher quality product. Exhaust = done. I won't have to touch it again.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:53 AM
12 Second Club

^^Cool thanks for the info. Im gona have to go with the KOOKS then, especially being in New York weather. I want to install it and never think about it again.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:18 PM
Launching!

y flowtechs work great-no problems at all-I would check the straightness like the other guy said, just to make sure. One of mine was not straight and they sent me a new set in a couple of days. I bought them for 230 uncoated. I can't see the flange breaking its still pretty thick, and I wouldn't expect someone to tighten the bolts down to 150 pound ft torque-the welds do look like *** though
Old 04-07-2006, 01:21 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for everyones input. I've come to the conclusion that Budget Headers are worth it, but uncoated are not. I've decided to go with the pacesetters with the TSP ORY from Texas-Speed.com
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/cate...MID=1&catid=45
Thanks Again
Old 05-27-2006, 10:52 AM
12 Second Club

Default Finished My Pacesetters

Wednesday- Pulled all the stock crap out- 2 1/2 hrs
Thursday- UPS Delivered. Very smooth install. Very well designed header IMO. Only one flaw on pass side where the bung for the O2 sensor was welded it was angled a little too high so trans pan was in the way. So I filed off 1/8 inch off the lip of the pan and that worked. Texas Speed ORY SUCKS. I thought that was suppost to be a bolt in deal. I had to take that to an exaust shop to get installed for 100.00 bones. He had to hack it all up just to get it to work. Over all very pleased with the headers just need to go get my tune know. (coming next week)
Old 05-27-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

What about those really cheap stainless headers - do we have a consensus on them yet or are they too new?
Old 05-27-2006, 05:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

I always suggest LG pro longtubes. I love mine.