Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Loud is the Borla Adjustable cat-back compared to others?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Loud is the Borla Adjustable cat-back compared to others?

Hey guys,

Yesterday I had a run in with a '02 or '03 Mustang GT and we got in a nice revving contest at a light right before we took a quick run...anyways that thing sounded so fricken awesome and was a bit louder and much better sounding than mine , I talked to him afterwards but he wasnt sure what was done...Said he took it to a shop and told them he wanted a deep "gurgle" sound .... anyways...

I have the Borla Adjustable cat-back on my car right now and it used to seem loud enough, but now I'm not so sure...I have gone on LS1sounds.com and spent a lot of time on there, but i just cant tell how my catback compares to others being everyone recordings are different distances from the car...and most have headers etc..

So for all of you that know from hearing them in person, How does the Borla adjustable compare in loudness to other cat-backs...I know SLP Loudmouth is one of the loudest...and the SLP Dual/Dual is one of the quitest...how much louder/quieter are they compared to my setup?? I am just trying to get an idea if this catback is as loud or louder then other CAT-BACKS...

I may change to something different...I guess if I could hear my car in a drive by or a borla sound clip of a drive by it would help, but I thought I would come here and ask your opinions first.

Thanks Everyone!!
Old 03-31-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have it and i think it's prtty loud, and the guy with the stand sounds like a douche
Old 03-31-2006, 04:30 PM
11 Second Club

Mine is very loud especially under WOT but I'm running a big cam LT'S , ORY and my Borla wide open. Under normal cruising it is definatley throaty and sounds damn good when it drives by without me in it. I had a guy in his 50'S Ccome flying up next to me at a stop light with the biggest grin on his face...and I quote "Man that car sounds so ******* good it gave me a hard on".... as he drove away I could still see him smiling in his driver mirror. I'm just glad he was next to me not behind me...poor car might have gotten violated in all four tips!!
Old 03-31-2006, 07:23 PM
TECH Resident

Well, when it comes down to it, it isn' t too much different than a LM, when it' s open. I like mine because it' s adjustable, but, pretty expensive. The tips also can be a source of controversy, but, I wouldn' t trade mine for another catback.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the replies guys!

I guess the Borla is one of the louder of the catbacks then...I know when I bought the car it seemed almost too loud....but now it just seems way too damn quiet...My hearing must be going lol...

I would like to put a cutout midway back on the exhaust...but would this really be a whole lot louder being the exhaust is already straight through when my borla is wide open?? I would love to be able to open and close it with the flick of a switch so that it can be louder than it is now.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want it louder get long tube headers w/no cats!
Old 04-01-2006, 11:52 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not to profile, but most guys like that with stangs are douches.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

I wish I had the money for some headers, but It just is not possible right now...maybe in a year or two when I have some extra cash to throw into the car

For the mustang guy...He didnt seem to know much about the car...I stopped askin him questions when he gave me that answer about the exhaust, cuz I told him I had a Borla Catback and he didnt even know what I was talkin about...

He did tell me that my car looked so much Meaner from the front and he wishes his looked like that..
Old 04-02-2006, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just took off my manifolds, cats, y, and loudmouth today. Put on LT's, ORY, and a Borla wide open. I love the way it sounds. Sounded good in the car too. Not too loud and no drone.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

On my previous SS, I had long tubes, 3" ORY and Loudmouth catback. It was ridiculously loud and very raspy around 2500RPMs, sounded like a machine gun in fact. Under WOT it sounded good and was just deafening, sounded like a Nascar to an extent. I eventually replaced the resonator with a 12" bullet and that helped a lot with the rasp but did not kill the decibel level any.

On my current SS, I have long tubes, 3" ORY and Borla adjustable catback. Its not as loud at low RPMs as the Loudmouth, but sounds tons better. At WOT its close in decibel level and sounds friggin GREAT. No rasp or drone at any RPMs and everyone tells me how badass the car sounds. Wait until I put the heads/cam on it

I would stick with the Borla you have, the Loudmouth would be louder but its not worth it in the long run. Loud isnt better IMO.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Y2K Pewter SS
On my current SS, I have long tubes, 3" ORY and Borla adjustable catback. No rasp or drone at any RPMs and everyone tells me how badass the car sounds.
What block-off plate are you running? I am running wide open with LTs, 3" ORY, and borla, and its got rasp like no other!
Old 04-03-2006, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be fried for saying it but I'm just not aware of any LS1 bolt on exhaust system that can beat the tone of a simple flowmaster'ed mustang. This is a very subjective thing but if you are looking for your LS1 to match the sound of the dood's mustang, it's probably not possible.

You may be able to get louder, but as others have noted there's a difference between pure volume level and tonal quality. The Borla you have is on the higher end of the volume scale while still having somewhat controlled tone.

A loudmouth would be louder, but the sound is not deep, just loud.

If anything you might like a GMMG.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99whitews6
What block-off plate are you running? I am running wide open with LTs, 3" ORY, and borla, and its got rasp like no other!

No plate, wide open
Old 04-03-2006, 10:00 AM
TECH Regular

my open borla with a custom y pipe and headers sounded sweet.

go to this site and listen to some sound clips-

http://www.ls1sounds.com/
Old 04-03-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Resident

Ya i know the sound of a mustang is not duplicable with our LS1...I love how our cars sound, but by just adding a damn flowmaster muffler which is what every damn mustang around here does, it makes them sound amazing...while adding one to ours does not net the same results...But I am very happy with the sound of my car, and I think I will stick with the borla...If I were to change I was going to go GMMG, but I think I am satisfied with the borla for now.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by todddchi
I'll be fried for saying it but I'm just not aware of any LS1 bolt on exhaust system that can beat the tone of a simple flowmaster'ed mustang.
Your opinion. I think aggressively cammed LS1's Sound hotter goin down the track.

Quick Reply: How Loud is the Borla Adjustable cat-back compared to others?