Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Help Pls? Header bolts broke in head

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 04:48 PM
tc3
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Quick Help Pls? Header bolts broke in head

Right now my car is sitting on ramps with headers slid off so i can try to take the broken bolts out... There is two of them(front two) sticking out about 1/4 inch. I have tried vice grips and got no movement with them...

Was thinking about either maybe jbwelding something on there to turn(will that hold) or using a torch to heat the area and try vice grips(dont wanna warp heads of course tho)

can anyone give me some quick ideas... And all i could find on a search was about easy-outs which i can not see possible with heads on car.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

If you have a welder or any way of borowing one... tack on a lever to the bolt and try that (like a welded on wrench). it might work since there is no way of drilling it out without taking off the heads
Old 04-01-2006, 05:01 PM
tc3
On The Tree

no... that would be great and all but no welders here...

thanks tho
Old 04-01-2006, 05:28 PM
tc3
On The Tree

i was thinking of using a dremel to cut a slot in the stud and using a stubby screwdriver to unscrew it? any suggestions about this? Would it be possible to break it loose that way?
Old 04-01-2006, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

If it wouldnt break loose with a wrench i dont know how it would come lose with a screw driver... maybe if you put a vice grip on the screwdriver and then try to turn it but then you get back into breaking it off again... its worth a shot tho but if the stud starts bending where it was slotted stop, clamp the slot together while the screw driver is in place then try turning it. hopefully it would work
Old 04-01-2006, 05:55 PM
tc3
On The Tree

yea thats kinda what i was thinking also, but only to find out my mom took the dremel to my sisters house... and i have no car... looks like im waiting till tomorow... sucks... i was gona goto track tommorow morning...

Arnt there place's where you can rent welders?

edit:

anyone know where i can find one of the things on the third page of this document?
http://www.webrodder.com/article.php...f6a0394e5bfaba

Last edited by tc3; 04-01-2006 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I broke one off in my head and got this... http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00952162000

It's $50, but worth every penny for not having to pull the head.

Here's what the bolt looked like...

I seem to remember that we had to dremel the sides of the bolt down a little bit to get the extractor to fit right, but it worked like a charm, tapped out the threads in the head, and put new GM bolt in.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:46 PM
tc3
On The Tree

Well my threads arnt that good... and i dont have quite that much of it either..

and the second one has the end of the bolt that doesnt have threads on it all the way. so only like 1 thread going around then the rest is blank

Is there no jb weld that is strong enough for this kind of thing? if it helps the bolts broke when tightening them(didnt seem like they were actually against the flange, stupid *** me)

thanks

Last thing.... if i used a metal file to file down the sides of it and used vice grips on flat edges, does that have a chance of working? or just screwing it up too much...?

Last edited by tc3; 04-01-2006 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:55 PM
tc3
On The Tree

****... just spent 35 bucks on this only to realize that i have no room to hammer and would be hammering something that is harder then what its stuck in... WTF is the matter with me...

EDIT: just noticed this so ill just go back tommorow and trade it in..
Old 04-02-2006, 10:45 AM
tc3
On The Tree

anyone local of central florida with a welder wanna deliver... ill pay you...