Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Descreening the MAF, richer or leaner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 03:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Descreening the MAF, richer or leaner?

Does it make you run richer or leaner?
Old 08-21-2002, 03:18 AM
TECH Resident

Default Re: Descreening the MAF, richer or leaner?

Leaner for sure.
Old 08-21-2002, 03:20 AM
TECH Regular

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Bad02WS6:
<strong>Leaner for sure.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hmm. Has anyone ever ran into any problems running a little leaner with a descreened MAF?
Old 08-21-2002, 04:59 AM
TECH Addict

It depends on the car.98's pick up but anything after that year was a hit or miss mod and what I mean is some picked up power and some lost power and some didnt gain anything but that was with changing to an aftermarket maf sensor or just maf sensor ported ends.Try it its easy to put back in the car.
Old 08-21-2002, 06:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Alonzo:
<strong>It depends on the car.98's pick up but anything after that year was a hit or miss mod and what I mean is some picked up power and some lost power and some didnt gain anything but that was with changing to an aftermarket maf sensor or just maf sensor ported ends.Try it its easy to put back in the car.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You could run into a problem with any year LS1. My '98 pinged like a $@#*% with ported ends! ported MAF's have also been linked to transmission problems with A4 cars since a ported MAF lowers the line pressure to the transmission!
Old 08-21-2002, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by LS1JAY:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Alonzo:
<strong>It depends on the car.98's pick up but anything after that year was a hit or miss mod and what I mean is some picked up power and some lost power and some didnt gain anything but that was with changing to an aftermarket maf sensor or just maf sensor ported ends.Try it its easy to put back in the car.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You could run into a problem with any year LS1. My '98 pinged like a $@#*% with ported ends! ported MAF's have also been linked to transmission problems with A4 cars since a ported MAF lowers the line pressure to the transmission!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">See thats what I am saying some cars like it and some hate it.You are the first 98 I have heard of that actually pinged after doing it.Well live and learn.
Old 08-21-2002, 10:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On my 01 Hawk it went leaner,then the computer compensated and WOT went to pig rich(10.5-1)That was something I wished I never did.
You get better results with a MAFT.
Old 08-21-2002, 11:20 PM
TECH Regular

What about the new SLP MAF? Am I beter off just keeping my stock descreened and getting a MAFT? Is the new SLP unit any good?
Old 08-22-2002, 04:14 AM
TECH Resident

The SLP 85mm MAF will not do much for a nearly stock car. I beleive it is stock calibrated, just bigger. If you ask me. Stock calibration is a good thing, That way you have a better idea where you are starting from. My SLP MAF works realy well, But I also have a MAFT.
Old 08-22-2002, 07:38 AM
On The Tree

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by u8dusst:
<strong>What about the new SLP MAF? Am I beter off just keeping my stock descreened and getting a MAFT? Is the new SLP unit any good?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">get a maft, pretty cheap and adjustable as more mods come. Autotap helps too