Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap/free mods

Old 04-06-2006, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap/free mods

Is there any single site for cheap/free mods to the LS1. Any must do's, or definately don't do? Seems I'm seeing a lot of different ones people swear by, and I have time this weekend to tinker.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

There are a lot of topics on free mods. I think there is even a sticky. But I will tell you the ones I know off the top of my head. The FRA (free ram air) mod is and i belive dose help you when your goin fast enough look here to see how its done.
http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

The T.B bypass mod, save you time a lot of people dont think it works and i agree. Its where you remove the coolant line that runs to ur t.b to stop it from sticking at wot when is freakin freezin outside.

If ur lookin for apperence mods u can try to remove ur side moldings. Im doin it this weekend cause i think the car looks sooo much better with out it.

I will also be doin the .50 resistor mod for the CGAS which Im looking Forward to cause it sucks with skip shift.

I cant really think of any more w/ out search on them but at least its a start.

Here are a couple sites to tinker around on

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/guides.htm

http://www.lastofthebreed.com/Installs/InstallIndex.htm

Hope this helps.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Some people swear by a few. Personally, I don't see any problem with most of them. Some may not add much hp, if any, but are more of a convenience, like the tb bypass makes it easier to pull the tb off when needed.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

The mod to add a spring to the rear hatch release seems to be a promising one. I'm tired of hitting the hatch release button like 5 times to get it open. LOL
Old 04-07-2006, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Most of the free mods are pretty pointless.

The best one IMO is porting your own throttle body. And is definatley worth something.

The thottlebody bump stop mod is also worthwhile although don't expect massive gains from it. I can also see the benefit of the FRA (free ram air) mod. It may not do much on a stock engine but once the intake demands are upped the larger opening will be benficial.

I did the throttle body bump stop mod and FRA at the same time, I wouldn't say I felt any real SOTP improvement but I could certainly feel the extra throttle pedal travel with my foot and would say at speed under WOT the response felt crisper and it did feel a little more lively at 140mph than it did before.

!EGR, !AIR, !MAF Screen, ported MAF, TB by-pass and the like are all IMO pretty pointless from a performance stand point as they either don't affect HP or there is a reason it exists in a particular way and altering it will affect what it's meant to be doing.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by tcossair
The mod to add a spring to the rear hatch release seems to be a promising one. I'm tired of hitting the hatch release button like 5 times to get it open. LOL
I did that last weekend. It still doesn't open on the first try. After the first time though, it'll open every time
Old 04-07-2006, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Just use the key instead
Old 04-07-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Where's the fun in that?
Old 04-07-2006, 10:30 AM
TECH Resident

get a better spring
Old 04-07-2006, 03:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can also check out www.ls1howto.com. They also have pretty good write-ups on mods and swapping parts.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:38 PM
Teching In

when you pull off the side moldings, won't there be alot of **** built up where they were attached.. how do you get it all off without ******* anything up??
Old 04-07-2006, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LoSTRaMaiR
when you pull off the side moldings, won't there be alot of **** built up where they were attached.. how do you get it all off without ******* anything up??
They make adhesive removers for that, and a lot of people use Clay bar's to remove built up crap. I'm removing mine this weekend, I've done it on other cars before though.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LoSTRaMaiR

I used my thumbs and some elbow grease. Just takes some time, then I used a little Tar and Bug remover on the really tough spots. Not a single blemish when done and makes the car look so much cleaner.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:34 PM
12 Second Club

The only free mod i have done is the tb by-pass. Dont waste your time with that one. I could have spent those 3 dollars on a soda and a king size snickers.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:25 PM
12 Second Club

Default free mods

LS69TA do this mod from:http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

Just keep screwing them rubber bumpers out and your hatch will pop everytime!

Free ram air is probably the only one worth doing, apart from skip shift on M6 IMO

Cheers Andy
Old 04-10-2006, 03:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tcossair
Is there any single site for cheap/free mods to the LS1. Any must do's, or definately don't do? Seems I'm seeing a lot of different ones people swear by, and I have time this weekend to tinker.

lets see.. you have a M6 car.

if i were to buy an M6 car that was dead stock:

little projects:
"free ram air"
port throttlebody
lid
!EGR
!CAGS
!AIR
flash up a hypertech tune (or a bin with a similar tune)

little pricier, but my first few mods would be:
headers and ORY
LS6, if i didnt already have one stock.
stronger rear is high on my list, both for gears, and because im abusive.
stronger clutch for the same reason as the rear.
cam.
E-cutout and keep the stock exhaust
QA1s
Slicks for the track.

just that, and i should have a mid20 MPG with mixed driving (low 30 hwy) 11 second street car that is quiet and civil with the cutout closed, and loud and nasty with it open. very nice combo.

you can add onto that some smaller things afterward.. but thats the basics id do without question.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:30 PM
TECH Regular

Wal-mart has two things that work really well Dissolv-it and Goof OFF....I used to be a rice and put graphics on my car and decided to take them off. LEft a horrible mess but took it right off with these two products..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cheap/free mods