Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering column clearance with QTP longtubes

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theinstag8r
my fathers pacesetters had the same problem, he loosened both bolts on the steering shaft and slid it down, that changed the angle and gave him about 1/4-1/2 clearance from the header
What bolts need to be taken out to do that im also gonna try moving it over at the firewall and lifting the header up if there is an play in th holes.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SSJIMMY
What bolts need to be taken out to do that im also gonna try moving it over at the firewall and lifting the header up if there is an play in th holes.
I'll say it again...

Guys... just loosen the steering column from underneath the dash. There are 3 or 4 bolts that hold it to the firewall and there is no need to completely remove the bolts. Then have someone use a pry bar to push the steering shaft away from the header. While that person is holding the steering shaft away from the header, go back underneath the dash and re-tighten the steering column bolts. Takes less then 5 minutes. This way you are actually moving the steering shaft away from the header
Old 05-21-2006, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

NoMore im going to try that too I found the bolt but it looks like its already moved over pretty far but ill try it. just seeig what bolts on the shaft can be taken out to silde the shaft down. Im just hoping something works cause my car does have frame damage which I will get fixed in a few months hopefully.

Quick Reply: Steering column clearance with QTP longtubes