Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raptor Ram Air Hood functional air kit..

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Ram Air Hood functional air kit..

Picked up a Raptor Hood from Gagdet Motor Sports a while back,, I love it.. I should of got the functional kit for it too,, but I didn't... Now I would like to get it... But I'm not giving them 300 bucks for it,,, Does anyone know if there are other kits out there for this hood??? I've seen a pic of a setup with the a two cone setup and it looked like the bottom of the raptor hood..
Old 06-16-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone know?
Old 06-16-2006, 11:21 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Search for "volant intake", I think that's the one you're wondering about.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Obviously the Volant was not made to fit this hood, so do you just cut and hack the Volant air box to match up?
Old 06-18-2006, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is that hood even functional?
Old 06-18-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by HartAttack
Is that hood even functional?
Both the inlets and optional heat extractors are all functional. It's just that air inlet box is an extra $300!
Attached Thumbnails Raptor Ram Air Hood functional air kit..-raptor6-1-.jpg   Raptor Ram Air Hood functional air kit..-raptor_d-1-.jpg   Raptor Ram Air Hood functional air kit..-raptor2-1-.jpg   Raptor Ram Air Hood functional air kit..-raptor3-1-.jpg   Raptor Ram Air Hood functional air kit..-tim-s-pontiac-6-.jpg  

Old 06-18-2006, 02:34 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

That air box is not going to give you any more than the stock set-up with a lid. The inlet on your hood will supply all the air to the stock airbox that your motor can use.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey jasonww, that last pic is actually of my friends firebird, LT1 with a LS1 front end and a raptor hood. But to tell you the truth Transam_00, it's not worth it. My friend dyno'd a TA with the raptor ram air box and then swapped on a stock box and lid and the raptor ram air box actually dyno'd less power.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Addict

Any kind of functional Ram Air hood will show little or no increase on a dyno. The only time funtional Ram Air actually works is at speed. When the car is sitting on a dyno, even with a fan blowing in front of it, its not actually 'ramming air' anywhere, while sitting stangant stationary. High Performance Pontiac did an article of the 'BG Ram Air Modification' a few years back, on a mostly stock TA with 3.73 gears, run at a track like it should be. As compared to the baseline runs, the Ram Air kit took a full tenth off the E.T, and added I think 2mph at the trap. I bought the same kit after reading the article. You don't feel a differance while driving, but it makes a diff. in the real world. Top end only, of course.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
Any kind of functional Ram Air hood will show little or no increase on a dyno. The only time funtional Ram Air actually works is at speed. When the car is sitting on a dyno, even with a fan blowing in front of it, its not actually 'ramming air' anywhere, while sitting stangant stationary. High Performance Pontiac did an article of the 'BG Ram Air Modification' a few years back, on a mostly stock TA with 3.73 gears, run at a track like it should be. As compared to the baseline runs, the Ram Air kit took a full tenth off the E.T, and added I think 2mph at the trap. I bought the same kit after reading the article. You don't feel a differance while driving, but it makes a diff. in the real world. Top end only, of course.
Was that test done on a LT1 or LS1? Cause the LS1's airbox and lid setup is so good, i dont see it making a difference, now in the LT1's on the other hand, their stock air induction sucks so on an LT1 i could see the ram air helping.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:55 PM
Launching!

I have the stock airbox with an slp lid on my 98TA non ram air of course. The height of the box is like an inch less and the opening where your air filter sits is smaller. However, its very easy to heat up the plastic where that opening is and cut out a much bigger hole. its one of those "free" upgrades for the ls1. With the opening like that and the ram air hood i dont think ur going to notice any difference whatsoever with an airbox that is just a little taller.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:55 PM
Launching!

notice or see on the track*

Quick Reply: Raptor Ram Air Hood functional air kit..