Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP Rumbler noise level?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 11:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TSP Rumbler noise level?

I'm getting a new exhaust system very soon. I am definitely on a budget so I've been looking around for good relatively cheap catbacks. I was thinking Hooker or Magflow at first, but then I stumbled across the TSP Rumbler. I listened to it at ls1sound.com, and I like the sound of it, but I can't tell how loud it is. I've heard different stories from different people about that. Some have said it's pretty calm when you're just cruising around, but gets loud when you step on it, this is good for me, I like that. Then other people have said its REALLY loud(sounds like they mean all the time too), which i wouldn't want, so what would you guys say I really is?

For now I am only going to have the stock manifolds and y-pipe w/cats, but either later on this year or maybe next summer I want to get some Pacesetter LT's and an ORY. How loud is it going to be for both of those setups?

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2006, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

sounds like a dump truck with cats and it sounds like a nascar with no tone to it without them. -terrible- drone as well.

go with hooker or magnaflow for a much better sound.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the sound of mine
Sound clip in sig (that's with headers and ORY)
Old 05-15-2006, 02:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
I like the sound of mine
Sound clip in sig (that's with headers and ORY)
that sounds good,my tsp rumbler is getting installed wednesday
Old 05-15-2006, 10:41 AM
12 Second Club

Like I said, i think I like the sound of them, i just can't tell how loud they are on the videos. Can anybody try to explain it to me?
Old 05-15-2006, 11:39 AM
12 Second Club

Anyone? I really wanna do a Stock vs. Magnaflow vs. TSP Rumbler comparison. Everything is currently stock on my car except for a lid. I'm trying to decide between a Magnaflow or a Rumbler catback. The difference is almost $100(rumbler still being cheaper) even after I get my $100 tips I want to get for the Rumbler. The rumbler would have the win in the looks category cause I am going to get those tips that are exactly what I want, and it wins in cost, but if it's really really loud or nasty sounding I would go ahead and get the Magnaflow, what do you guys think?
Old 05-15-2006, 11:49 AM
Launching!

I have the SLP Loudmouth II. I've heard that and the Rumbler are fairly similar. The TSP has a Dynomax bullet I believe and I have the SLP. I was surprised when I installed it - how quiet it was at idle and the drone under load doesn't bother me AT ALL. I love the drone. It makes it feel like a real muscle car but still you can drive quietly when needed. I was torn between the Rumbler and the LMII. But am extremely happy with what I have. My vote - in your case is The Rumbler.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

It was pretty loud when I had mine with the bullet. It's actually a lottle louder with my Magnaflow bullet, but the drone isn't as bad.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:27 PM
12 Second Club

Actually, I just had an idea. Could I take this in to the local shop here and have them stick a muffler in the I-pipe for me and cut out the muffler from the back and replace it with just a piece of pipe, and then stick my tips I'm going to buy on there instead of the stock one? And if I could do that, what do you think they would charge(depending on the muffler)?
Old 05-15-2006, 12:55 PM
12 Second Club

Oooor I could just have them take out the stock muffler and stick a different one in there and also put those tips on for me. I'm full of ideas . lol. Too many options. Is the muffler part possible to be done at home, or not? And would there be any performance differences over getting a whole new catback by leaving the stock pipes for the catback in there? Or is all the restriction from the stock muffler? Thanks again.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

To answer how loud it is, it's a little louder than stock at idle, at normal accerlereation levels, it's a healthly rumble (but nothing that's going to attract alot of attention) at cruise (70 mph) it has some drone to it (you can drown it out by turning up the radio), WOT it lets you know it's there (that's on stock manifolds and Y)
As far as a perfomance gain from putting a bullet in the stock I pipe, and chopping off the muffler, you"ll gain some, probably around the same as a Rumbler catback, the Rumbler will increase the I pipe Dia to 3" the stock is 2.75, so you stand to gain a little bit more from the size increase (how much, who knows, probably not enough to notice)
Old 05-15-2006, 06:03 PM
Launching!

You can get a Sweet Thunder instead of the Dynomax right? I've been looking at this exhaust as well, and if it sounds like crap then i'll just wait. I thought the Sweet Thunder sounded GOOD? Is it not an option?

Jon
Old 05-15-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

No that's only for the tru duals, AKA Rumbler X
Old 05-15-2006, 08:54 PM
12 Second Club

I have Edelbrock LTs and an ORY, it's moderately loud during startup, quiet during cruising, and very loud at WOT. I love how quiet it is around town (compared to the week I went with open headers) and how it retains so much volume at WOT. Perfect for me.