Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic Balancer

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 01:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harmonic Balancer

I plan to change out my old balancer with a 'new' one I got from a friend...don't have the cash for an underdrive right now and I have to change it ASAP..can see rubber coming out of it and its driving me crazy with all the noise.

Any tips on the install? I rented a harmonic balancer install kit from AutoZone today and got a Chrysler pulley puller...seemed to fit best. Ive got a large breaker bar and a 24mm deep well to take it off, but my torque wrench only goes to 150 ft lbs and I think the torque specs call for like 230 (plus I don't know how i'm gonna get on it that hard)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Matt
Old 05-16-2006, 03:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Do a search on pulley installs. You should find plenty of help on that subject and there is even a pulley install guru on here.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:08 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

installuniversity.com

Check out the cam install page.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
installuniversity.com

Check out the cam install page.
You mean this?
Old 05-16-2006, 10:32 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks guys.

I guess there isnt as much to this as I thought. I'll go do it and see how it goes.

MH
Old 05-16-2006, 02:22 PM
11 Second Club

I know a complete noob question, but the radiator doesn't need to be removed when doing only a pulley swap, right?
Old 05-16-2006, 02:44 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by stillremains
You mean this?
Yessssssssss that's what I mean, thanks!

Originally Posted by you2slo
I know a complete noob question, but the radiator doesn't need to be removed when doing only a pulley swap, right?

I don't think so. It would be easier, but I think it's only really necessary if you're trying to slide the cam out.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:23 AM
12 Second Club

Hey guys, I have a problem

Everything went smoothly until re-installing the balancer. I used a piece of wood and a hammer to tap it on enough where the bolt would bite, started tightening it down, and it went about 3/4 of an inch and wouldnt go anymore. I tried to put some force behind it, and it still wasnt right, so i pulled the old bolt back out and THE END OF IT WAS STRIPPED! It was covered in metal shards, all of which seem to be aluminum and I have no clue what to do. I don't want to mess up the crank. Im hoping if i run the correct tap down it, it will clean out whatever junk was in the threads to cause this...yall think that would work? HELP!
Old 05-17-2006, 01:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TwistedZ28
I don't want to mess up the crank.
Sounds like it's too late!!

If you pulled it out and it had shavings you stripped the crank.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:24 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by TwistedZ28
Hey guys, I have a problem

Everything went smoothly until re-installing the balancer. I used a piece of wood and a hammer to tap it on enough where the bolt would bite, started tightening it down, and it went about 3/4 of an inch and wouldnt go anymore. I tried to put some force behind it, and it still wasnt right, so i pulled the old bolt back out and THE END OF IT WAS STRIPPED! It was covered in metal shards, all of which seem to be aluminum and I have no clue what to do. I don't want to mess up the crank. Im hoping if i run the correct tap down it, it will clean out whatever junk was in the threads to cause this...yall think that would work? HELP!
The end of the bolt was stripped or the crank was stripped? I would get an air blower/magnet and try to remove all the material I could, then run a tap in the crank.

It will be hard as **** to find a long *** tap though.

Did you not read the install guide at all? You either need a longer bolt or a threaded rod with a nut to do it right. You can also stick the pulley in the oven to help it go on farther.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:40 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
The end of the bolt was stripped or the crank was stripped? I would get an air blower/magnet and try to remove all the material I could, then run a tap in the crank.

It will be hard as **** to find a long *** tap though.

Did you not read the install guide at all? You either need a longer bolt or a threaded rod with a nut to do it right. You can also stick the pulley in the oven to help it go on farther.
Yes, I read everything...and tapped the balancer on rather easily with a mallet and a 2x4. Started tightening down with the old bolt and it wouldnt go more than 3/4 of an inch..pulled it out and the end threads of the bolt were gone.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:02 AM
11 Second Club

The longer bolt is to be used when reinstalling the new pulley so that you have enough bite to start pulling. Post a pic of the end of the bolt.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:40 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by you2slo
The longer bolt is to be used when reinstalling the new pulley so that you have enough bite to start pulling. Post a pic of the end of the bolt.
Cant post a pic for a while...my camera decided to break itself..but the last few threads are stripped. What gets me is that it went in about 3/4 of an inch rater easily, pulling the balancer on with it.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey I'm sure it's listed on this forum somewhere but where is a good place to get the longer crankshaft pulley bolt??? Fastenal maybe?-I looked at some auto parts store and a couple of hardware stores and nothing even close. I pulled my stock one off with a puller/installer set to put on SLP's 25% pulley but can't reach the threads with the installer bolts or the pulley bolt itself...any thoughts will be appreciated
Old 10-04-2006, 10:08 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by wht01ws6ta
Hey I'm sure it's listed on this forum somewhere but where is a good place to get the longer crankshaft pulley bolt??? Fastenal maybe?-I looked at some auto parts store and a couple of hardware stores and nothing even close. I pulled my stock one off with a puller/installer set to put on SLP's 25% pulley but can't reach the threads with the installer bolts or the pulley bolt itself...any thoughts will be appreciated

https://ls1tech.com/forums/removed-locked-thread-graveyard/391883-new-crank-dampener-installation-tool-pics.html

I graciously accept cash donations for my "help"...

Old 10-05-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391883

I graciously accept cash donations for my "help"...

lol thanks Steve I couldn't find a longer bolt at Fastenal or at this other bolt warehouse type place but did find about a 3 ft. x 16 mm 2.0 threaded rod to cut down and use with a couple of nuts and washers drive the well lubed pulley onto the crank
Old 10-05-2006, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got it on there and properly torqued down with no problems..threaded rod and a couple of nuts and washers worked perfect
Old 10-05-2006, 02:28 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Has anyone tried the heating method? I've done it before for other press fit stuff and wonder why more people don't do it for the crank pulley as well. Pop it in the oven and set it to the lowest temp (less than 250 degrees) for about 30 minutes and it should go on pretty easily. Let it cool for a while and you should be good to go.

Only reason I could see not doing it this way is if it were a fluid harmonic balancer.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:21 PM
10 Second Club

and the fact that you then have a 250 degree ballancer you have to remove from oven, take to the garage, get under the car with and put it back on, all without burning yourself.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:52 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cop Car
and the fact that you then have a 250 degree ballancer you have to remove from oven, take to the garage, get under the car with and put it back on, all without burning yourself.
I deal with **** much more dangerous than a 10lb hot balancer everyday at my job. Chemicals that are hot, explosive, extremely reactive etc. What's the big deal. Put on a pair of welding gloves, carry the balancer, put it on the ground under the car, get under it, mount it. Your not performing brain surgery here. Have you ever grilled before and put a pan on the grill and have to carry it inside? How about roast a turkey? Ever done that? Nothing tough here.

Next your going to say that it's dangerous changing spark plugs because you arms could get scraped.

Take off the skirt, and if you do get burned, what's another scar, it heals, unless of course your a hand model....

If you haven't realized, I'm kidding and was just surprised that you'd be worried about handling a hot part.