Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, hopefully my last exhaust question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 08:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ok, hopefully my last exhaust question...

I have two options now, 1 being and Y-pipe and catback, and 2 being custom x pipe by a guy at a local shop. I don't have enough money right now to buy everything with either option, but graduation money should be coming at my party, so I should have enough to cover it...

If i want to do anything now this is my only option, I would have to get the catback now and wait on the other stuff until later when I get the money. Here are the prices for the options, if you see anything that could possibly be cheaper, feel free to let me know where it is , I'm just a *bit* tight on money.. lol

1st option
Pacesetter LT's ($375 + S&H, installed by my dad and I)
TSP ORY ($130 + S&H, installed by my dad and I)
Magnaflow Catback ($350 + $30 S&H, installed by my dad and I)

Total = $885 + S&H for the LT's and ORY

The biggest positive about this setup would be that I can start doing stuff right away, and don't have to wait for my party. It also costs less. I would be a little worried about rasp too, but I really have no basis for that.

2nd option
Pacesetter LT's ($375 + S&H, installed by my dad and I)
Custom True Duals, X-pipe, out the back, not dumped (Guy at the shop quoted me $500-$570 depending on the muffler)
Tips ($84 from the same guy + cost of welding them on)

Total = $959-$1029 + welding tips + S&H on LT's

The biggest positive for this would be that I know I couldn't possibly have gotten something better. Sound is supposed to be good, power is good. No real worries except money(I really hope he was telling me the real costs of the custom job, I tried to explain exactly what I wanted) Oh, and I like the tips he has more than the Magnaflow ones too .

So, what do you think I should do? I would be getting flowmaster mufflers I think, but I don't know where in the $500-$570 range they are, hopefully the bottom . Anyway, what do you think?
Old 05-17-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO a little patience would be in order
Order the headers (since they're the same for both options), then wait until you find out how much you get for graduation money, then decide (based on the budget) what you want to do, and it sounds like you want duals out the back
BTW Speed inc has free shipping on orders of $100 or more headers are $375 there
Old 05-17-2006, 09:27 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, cool. Thanks for the info on Speed inc. The problem is it isn't entirely patience thats the problem. I wasn't planning on getting the LTs and ORY yet, I was going to get those later. Thats one of the problems with the Duals that I forgot to mention, they force me to do everything all at once, which I didn't want to do. Plus I'm not 100% confident the guy will do the exhaust exactly right because he said to me "actually a y-pipe is better than duals because the y-pipe will scavenge", then went on to explain what scavenging is, even though I knew all about it . The guy has done a LOT of hotrods and stuff, I'm just not sure he knows this car really well. i know he's worked on at least one Camaro that he says has over 500rwhp right now(procharger), but other than that, I don't know what he's done on these cars. And should I be weary of the $500-570, or is that a normal price for getting this done?
Old 05-17-2006, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

Here's a potential other option for you, Bassani makes a true dual system for stock manifolds (~$800 for the aluminized steel version) if you really don't want to go with the headers right now, it bolts to the stock manifolds, it's all pre bent and goes out the back, so it's basically a true dual catback, so you can install it yourself (yes it can be modified to accept headers should you want them later on)
As for the true dual price, I've heard double the price you posted, and I've heard 1/2 that, so I really can't say if that's realistic or not
FWIW I would go with the headers ORY and the catback, it's easier to do, you aren't waiting on a shop (that you seem not to be very confident in) it flows almost as good as the duals, and you don't have the potential ground clearance/over axle clearance problems that you can have with the duals. If you plan to lower the car, you can end up scraping the duals.
Not to mention the sound level, now, you might like it loud, but what about neighbors/local PD, are they going to object to the sound level, and hassle the **** out of you every time you drive the car
I'm trying to discourage you from the duals, but just tossing out the potential pitfalls

Last edited by 2K2WS6TA; 05-17-2006 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:07 PM
12 Second Club

Hmmm... That does sound like a possible option, where could I find those? I don't see them on bassani's website, but I could just be looking in the wrong place. Or also, where could I find it the cheapest that you know of? Thanks
Old 05-17-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Addict

Bassani is the only one that sells that exhaust, so it's that price, usually no discount
Link
http://www.vincihighperformance.com/fbodyls1.html
Click on exhaust, has a sound clip
Old 05-18-2006, 12:04 AM
12 Second Club

Alright, I guess I'll stop worrying about the true duals then. I have just heard they are really good sounding from some people and I was worried about not being able to get the full power out of a catback with y. Is there a certain horsepower that they will support up to before they start being more restrictive than a true dual system?

And as for rasp and sound, how do the Magnaflow system and the TSP Rumbler compare? Which one is louder and which one is deeper at all the rpms ranges and with or without LTs.

Thanks for all your help, I hope to get this all sorted out in the next day if possible
Old 05-26-2006, 07:12 PM
10 Second Club

here's the dyno of the wife's car back when i swapped from the borla 3" adjustable catback to the bassani tru-duals.