Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing stock exhaust manifolds, what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 12:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing stock exhaust manifolds, what to expect?

Ok, so when I bought my 2002 WS6 the guy had already installed a set of Pacesetter LTs with an ORY. I'm going to be re-installing the stock exhaust manifolds (including original cats and O2 sensors) and stock y-pipe, for various reasons (being legal the primary one). Since I didn't install the headers originally, I'm not really sure what to expect. I'm going to be ordering the parts in the next day or so, and want to make sure I'm not missing anything. I already plan on replacing the manifold gaskets (I got the part # from GM, but I think they said it was the one with round ports instead of oval...mine should be oval, correct?), the AIR gaskets (if I decide to go with the restricted-flow gaskets, will I need to modify anything with the AIR system, or just get a tune?), the gaskets between the stock manifolds and the stock converters (again, GM parts guy told me there are 2 different gaskets for driver/passenger sides...is this true?).

So, is there anything I'm missing? How long should I expect this to take (I've done minor bolt-ons before, and I know my way around, just never done major exhaust pieces)? Should I replace the rear O2 sensors while I'm at it, since they've been off the car for a few thousand miles, or are they ok? The car was never tuned with the LTs on it, will I need to tune it after I replace the stock y-forward setup? Also, I read on LS1Howto that the torque specs on the header bolts are 11/18 lb ft (first/final pass), is this correct for an '02 as well?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm an exhaust n00b.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:06 PM
12 Second Club

looking to get rid of the pacesetters? if so pm me plz, ty
Old 05-22-2006, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

well id say if everyhting goes smoothy and u do it not rushing about 6-8 hours, if it was never tuned with the headers then it should be perfect for the stock stuff already and the 02's will prbably be fine as longas they havent gotton beatup from being throw around while out. i torqued my 01' headers to 18ft lbs i believe could just do like 15 to be safe
Old 05-22-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where are you located? It seems most places you can get away with "illegal" exhaust. Hell here in Kansas, there are no emission laws at all
Old 05-22-2006, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Expect a major loss in RWHP and sound!
Old 05-22-2006, 01:51 PM
Teching In

I just moved to MO from KS, and I have to get an inspection; I know I could find a shop that would "overlook" this detail, but I'd rather just be legal; plus it's too loud for my taste. I looked into getting converters put on, but there isn't enough room to fab them into the y, plus the car is lowered, so it wouldn't be long before they're dragged off.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

if your state is OBD2...just have the codes tuned out for a hundred bucks or so from a local guy with hp tuners.

there is room for cats in a y pipe setup because ive done them before.

and it wont scrape if you can find someone whos good at exhaust building.

what cat back is on the car?

i would really keep the LT's if i were you...but for some reason it doesnt sound like youre a young guy..because young guys dont complain about sound.

good luck though.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:20 PM
Teching In

Well, for the record, I am a "young guy," for a few more years anyway, by my standards. That's neither here nor there, though...I'm 99.9% sure I would be happy with the sound if I could get cats installed. Therein lies the problem, however. I've taken it to two different (1 well-respected) exhaust shops, and both say the same thing: no room. I've already purchased a stock y-pipe, so I'm headed down the road to stock again. I'm not in a position to spend $300+ to get a catted-y set up, this seems to be my only option.

I have a Hooker catback, btw. So, anyway, to get this thread back on track...help me out with the parts list and those questions mentioned in my OP...thanks!
Old 05-22-2006, 06:12 PM
TECH Regular

I feel your pain Jason. I too removed my pacesetters and ORY and put the stock manifolds back on The car sounded like **** without cats and they simply will not fit in a pacesetter y-pipe. I reused the stock gaskets for the third time and no leaks I still want longtubes but dont want to sacrifice sound quaility. I've been looking at the Dynatech Supermaxx system which is catted, all stainless and tucks up real nice but, I'm having a hard time parting with 1400.00 Did you get the manifolds with the car? BTW i'm 37 years young

On a side note: I hope the '09 or when ever it comes out CAMARO will have a floor pan that will allow a nice tucked true dual over the axle and out the back. YOU LISTENING GM
Old 05-22-2006, 06:27 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Strahley
Where are you located? It seems most places you can get away with "illegal" exhaust. Hell here in Kansas, there are no emission laws at all
Yeah, from the looks of it you can drive around without a door or front headlights on your car and still pass inspection. Weirdo state.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Yeah, from the looks of it you can drive around without a door or front headlights on your car and still pass inspection. Weirdo state.
You can also drive around with no front clip either (seen that) and with a bull in the back of your pickup
To the OP: it sounds like you got everything you need to go back to stock, you may want to get some new o2s (the rears if they've been deleted)
As for a tune, you shouldn't need to change anything, especially if it hasn't been tuned for the headers
Don't forget the antisieze for the bolts
Old 05-22-2006, 07:16 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man that is so rediculous. I have seen some bad cars in KS. Made me cringe.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the insight (and sympathy Shawn's SS). Can anybody tell me if 12558573 is the correct part number for a 2002 TA WS6 exhaust manifold gasket? That is the part number for the round ports, correct? On ls1howto.com, it says 01-02 Fbody has oval exhaust ports (part no. 12558573), which is it? And, from my original post, can anyone confirm if the exhaust->converter gasket is different driver vs. passenger side? I have both part numbers (if they are different; 12555806 & 88891747), but I don't remember which is which.

If I use the restricting AIR gaskets, will any other modifications need to be made to the AIR system or anything else??

Also, the bolts everyone bitches about become easier with a 10mm gear wrench, right? Any other "specialty" tools I should be sure to have before I get in there?

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2006, 07:36 PM
TECH Regular

don't know about the manifold gaskets but if I remember correctly the manifold to converter gaskets are different. Either way your local dealer should be able to get you the right parts.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shawn's SS
I feel your pain Jason. I too removed my pacesetters and ORY and put the stock manifolds back on The car sounded like **** without cats and they simply will not fit in a pacesetter y-pipe. I reused the stock gaskets for the third time and no leaks I still want longtubes but dont want to sacrifice sound quaility. I've been looking at the Dynatech Supermaxx system which is catted, all stainless and tucks up real nice but, I'm having a hard time parting with 1400.00 Did you get the manifolds with the car? BTW i'm 37 years young

On a side note: I hope the '09 or when ever it comes out CAMARO will have a floor pan that will allow a nice tucked true dual over the axle and out the back. YOU LISTENING GM
All you had to do was put true duals on the car, I love how it sounds, + its not too much louder than a catback when they are run out the back.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:46 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
That's just it - there is no inspection. Absurd examples nothwithstanding, you are responsible for your car, not the nanny state.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Regular

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=189&catid=45

I hope this helps, this is a Y-pipe designed for the pacesetter headers with cats installed. It is adjustable so the fit should be just about perfect. KEEP THE LONGTUBES! Good luck
Old 05-23-2006, 12:38 AM
TECH Addict

For what you're going to be giving up sound and power wise, I'd just drop the money on a catted Y. It's expensive, but would most definitely be worth it. It would sound great with Hooker and LTs.

What part of MO are you in?
Old 05-23-2006, 01:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ski23
looking to get rid of the pacesetters? if so pm me plz, ty
im next in line! are these emissions headers or race style? ...oh **** it you have a pm!
Old 05-23-2006, 03:40 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
All you had to do was put true duals on the car, I love how it sounds, + its not too much louder than a catback when they are run out the back.
Sure, if I had 1500.00 to dump on a custom set-up (speed inc. style) because a texas speed style ain't gonna cut it. I need ground clearance and dumps would drive me crazy