Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to use to temporarily seal exhaust leak at the Y?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 12:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Question What to use to temporarily seal exhaust leak at the Y?

I've got a couple leaks where the MC's meet the Y pipe which is causing the car to run like absolute crap with it leaking before the 02's. I need to be able to drive it to MD which is about an hour away, so I need temporary fix in the meantime until the exhaust gets welded up. Any ideas?
Old 06-17-2006, 12:35 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fold up a bunch of aluminum foil into like 2" wide strips that are long enough to wrap around the pipe at the joint, then put a band clamp over that and tighten the **** out of it. It should conform to the shapes and fill in the gaps. Smear a little RTV right on the joint before putting the foil on for even more leak-seal-age.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

I already put some exhaust gasket sorta stuff on it, I'm not sure the aluminum would work at this point. I need something that can conform and fill in the leaks that are still getting through the exhaust gasket crap.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Aluminum HVAC tape (comes in a large roll at
Home Depot, or a much smaller roll for the same
price at auto parts stores). Few turns of that
should do it, especially if you put it inside a
band clamp.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
Aluminum HVAC tape (comes in a large roll at
Home Depot, or a much smaller roll for the same
price at auto parts stores). Few turns of that
should do it, especially if you put it inside a
band clamp.
Inside a band clamp? Do you mean wrapping it around the exhaust and then putting the clamp over it? I can do that for where the MC's meet the Y but not where the headers meet the MC's, they have a bolt/nut on each side and they can't be pulled together any more than they already are.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some aluminum foil or tape should work fine w/some clamps... thats what i used when i had a 3" gap in my y-pipe right before the cat.... you say its at the header/y gasket? ...not much you can do there.... it's not like an exhaust leak is going to permenatly damage your car if your just drivin it for an hour or so... my friend has been driving with one for six-months
Old 06-17-2006, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RrCoX22
some aluminum foil or tape should work fine w/some clamps... thats what i used when i had a 3" gap in my y-pipe right before the cat.... you say its at the header/y gasket? ...not much you can do there.... it's not like an exhaust leak is going to permenatly damage your car if your just drivin it for an hour or so... my friend has been driving with one for six-months
It's going to foul my plugs though if I keep driving on it. The leak causes the passenger side bank to just dump fuel into it and makes it run like it's on 2 cylinders. I can barely get the car going b/c it's lack of power.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Get some Permatex RTV Copper Gasket Maker. Loosen the clamps up and slide them back. Then apply the Copper Gasket Maker around where the pipes join. Spread it all the way around with your finger. Slide the clamps back over the joint, and tighten them up. Let the Copper Gasket Maker dry overnight before you crank the car up. This worked for me.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:25 PM

JB weld.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the exhaust repair tape from Autozone. It's an orange colored wrap. Wrap that around the header/Ypipe joint and then use a band clap around it. Once it heats up......no more leaks.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get some quicksteel. Then you won't have to have it rewelded! I use the stuff for everything. Works great.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 93formto98T/A
Get some quicksteel. Then you won't have to have it rewelded! I use the stuff for everything. Works great.
I'm just looking for a temp fix until Monday morning when I take the car to my exhaust person to have them fix everything correctly.... as well as put in dual e-cutouts
Old 11-01-2017, 12:37 AM

Default Flange leaking? Fix

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
I've got a couple leaks where the MC's meet the Y pipe which is causing the car to run like absolute crap with it leaking before the 02's. I need to be able to drive it to MD which is about an hour away, so I need temporary fix in the meantime until the exhaust gets welded up. Any ideas?
Something I created out of need. C Flange Bracket. There' a lot of pushback for a product not on the market. Every exhaust has a potential to leak. The most common leaks are at the flange, connecting points along the exhaust system. See for yourself if this is a good flange fix.

https://youtu.be/zBdFKlVRh48

Last edited by JoePublic; 11-01-2017 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-01-2017, 07:03 AM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

If it’s leaking where one pipe slides inside another, take an angle grinder and cut two slits 180 degrees apart on the outer pipe. Then use a band clamp. When you tighten it, the slits will give it room to compress. Won’t be perfect but should stop significant leaks.

Unless your outer pipe is already slotted. In which case, feel free to insult me as a complete moron

Quick Reply: What to use to temporarily seal exhaust leak at the Y?