Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 04-25-2016, 04:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

True Duals, questions answered here. Post YOUR information and pics too!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammbone
yeah Jason up at APE did it. Not sure what you mean by cross overs? are you talking about an X pipe or over each side of the axle?
Yeah, X pipe or H.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah Jason up at APE did it. Not sure what you mean by cross overs? are you talking about an X pipe or over each side of the axle?
That's a nice setup you have. That's the same thing I want to do except with an H pipe crossover and the magnaflow 59959 cats. And I'd be using ARH 1 7/8" headers.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bene
Yeah, X pipe or H.
i have heard mixed reviews on what to go with. most have said x pipe while i have heard others say they have seen no difference in track times. i figure i can always add one later.

Originally Posted by drain89
That's a nice setup you have. That's the same thing I want to do except with an H pipe crossover and the magnaflow 59959 cats. And I'd be using ARH 1 7/8" headers.
thanks. my kooks are 1 7/8". little bit tighter fit but better in the long haul imo. why are you going to run cats if you don't mind me asking?
Old 12-13-2008, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have heard mixed reviews on what to go with. most have said x pipe while i have heard others say they have seen no difference in track times. i figure i can always add one later.

thanks. my kooks are 1 7/8". little bit tighter fit but better in the long haul imo. why are you going to run cats if you don't mind me asking?
Mainly to make sure I won't get the fuel smell, but also to quiet it down a little. The very slight loss in hp is not noticeable (especially in a street car) and is the right thing to do.

I agree about the bigger headers. Even though my car is still just a dinky little stock 346. One of these days when I put in a 416-455 cube stroker...I won't have to buy bigger headers.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:20 AM
Staging Lane

Mainly to make sure I won't get the fuel smell, but also to quiet it down a little. The very slight loss in hp is not noticeable (especially in a street car) and is the right thing to do.

I agree about the bigger headers. Even though my car is still just a dinky little stock 346. One of these days when I put in a 416-455 cube stroker...I won't have to buy bigger headers.
Makes Sense!!!!
Old 12-14-2008, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hammbone, since you don't have a crossover yet; would you be willing to do me a favor?
I've always wondered about the correct location for placement of the crossover on our cars. I have a hunch that there is not room to put it where it should go.
Is there any chance that you can put some oil on a q-tip and lightly rub a line of it down the inner sides of the pipes from your collectors to about midway down to where they turn to go over the axle. Then just run the car until it heats up to operating temp. and look for the spot where the oil was cooked off the pipes. That hot spot is where the crossover is supposed to go.
I bet it will be right behind the collectors where you cant really put one. If that's the case I wonder if putting a crossover further back would really do anything besides sound better?

Last edited by drain89; 12-14-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

There has been a difference between 1 7/8" and 1 3/4" longtubes on a LS3 after the tune. One of the sponsors did a test on it and the 1 7/8" did make more power and they where really suprised at it. That is with an LS3 though but doesn't mean you need a something that big to make a increase. I tried looking for the post but nadda. From what I recall I think it was like 10whp or something like that.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:04 PM
Staging Lane

Hammbone, since you don't have a crossover yet; would you be willing to do me a favor?
I've always wondered about the correct location for placement of the crossover on our cars. I have a hunch that there is not room to put it where it should go.
Is there any chance that you can put some oil on a q-tip and lightly rub a line of it down the inner sides of the pipes from your collectors to about midway down to where they turn to go over the axle. Then just run the car until it heats up to operating temp. and look for the spot where the oil was cooked off the pipes. That hot spot is where the crossover is supposed to go.
I bet it will be right behind the collectors where you cant really put one. If that's the case I wonder if putting a crossover further back would really do anything besides sound better?
i have heard of using a wax pencil as well. i will be more then happy to do this when i get a chance. it could be a while. well i guess i shouldn't say that as i will be ordering my bmr k member and control arms this week. i will do it when i put those on if i can remember.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Another True Dual Xr1 brother. Sounds good hammbone.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Position the X as close as possible to the engine which is where it will be most effective but generally the only place to put it on a F-body is behind the transmission.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KW4life06
Another True Dual Xr1 brother. Sounds good hammbone.
Thanks.....
Old 12-15-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

i bought some long *** pipes from a junkyard. so i'm gonna do trual duals on my 93 z28.

not sure which way i'm gonna do it yet.. theres 2 options. 2 pipes ran straight back using the pipes i bought...

or somehow connect a extra exhaust z28 exhaust i have and run the other one next to the one thats already running to the back. hard to explain. cant wait. gonna have 2 flowmaster 40'a tucked in the back.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice setups forsure. I will post pics of mine once its done.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd like to say in the comparison of H-Pipe vs X-pipe that usually there is quite a tone difference between the 2, with the h-pipe having a more old school sound and x-pipe a little more blatty sounding.

With my x-pipe though I noticed it really does sound more like an H-Pipe sound. I don't know if its because of my mufflers or what but just some insight on what little difference it made for me acoustically.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

I wanna no if anyone has soundclips or videos of them running straight, x or h pipes over the axle all the way out with no headers and with magnaflow racing or borla xr1 mufflers. I want my car to sound like an old school muscle with deep tone. I dont really car to have the loudest car on the block i just want a nice sound in and outside of the car. Im going to be getting my exhaust done soon so wanted to see if any of you guys could help. I have a 02 trans am ws6. I have people saying run straight piping all the way out then i have people saying run an h pipe but i dont no because i never heard a stock car with one of the 3 pipes for myself so if someone could help me it would be appreciated.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd go with some sort of crossover. It won't make it louder by any means. If your looking for a stock manifolds with dual exhaust sound, look up some soundclips of bassani's true dual kit. If you aren't shooting for being really loud, you might also want to consider keeping your cats/ getting high flow cats. They will bring you sound down more.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

I have just started looking at upgrading mine to LTs, tds with an H. This thread has been great for evaluating the different mufflers, pipes, and setups... But I still have a couple of questions that I didnt see answered (could have overlooked them though, it is a long thread...)
Some of the background stuff that goes into switching to true duals and headers that goes along with any of the setups:
Im in Indiana, so dont have emissions checks, so dont need cats. What do I do with the O2 sensors?
What about the EGR, still have it hooked up, blocked, restricted??
My motor is pretty much stock right now, so when I go from the stock SLP exhaust to the LTs and duals will I need to have the car tuned? It so, is this something I can do myself?

Thanks!!
Old 01-07-2009, 11:17 PM
On The Tree

I didnt like the sound of it from what i heard on the website. Im just after the muscle car sound the rumble again i searched the borla xr1 and the magnaflow racing series mufflers on youtube and from what i hear they sound very good deep tone to them. I think i would go with the magnaflow personally. A couple pages back there is a nice H pipe but someone said being that far spaced apart the kid mine as well not have put them up. Why did he say that whats so bad about them being far apart?
Old 01-07-2009, 11:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Scammper
Some of the background stuff that goes into switching to true duals and headers that goes along with any of the setups:
Im in Indiana, so dont have emissions checks, so dont need cats. What do I do with the O2 sensors?
the front o2's you will keep but will need to extend the harness so it will reach the holes in the long tubes. texas speed makes extensions for a fair price. you will delete the rear o2's all together. it will cause your car to throw the SES light and it will remain on till you have it deleted from your computer.
Originally Posted by Scammper
What about the EGR, still have it hooked up, blocked, restricted??
My motor is pretty much stock right now, so when I go from the stock SLP exhaust to the LTs and duals will I need to have the car tuned? It so, is this something I can do myself?

Thanks!!
EGR.... Get rid of it if you don't car about emissions.

Tuned... you don't have to have it tuned but it is always best especially if you want to have your car run safely and to its fullest potential. the thing to remember is you don't want your car to run too lean by any means. rich is the safer side of things but tuned is perfect. you might be able to tune it yourself if you a wideband and efi or hptuners. if you never have then take it someone that has or have someone help you that has.

Originally Posted by Animal323
A couple pages back there is a nice H pipe but someone said being that far spaced apart the kid mine as well not have put them up. Why did he say that whats so bad about them being far apart?
Because exhaust travels the path of least resistance. the purpose of an H or X is to creat the scavange effect which is similar to a vacume effect cause the gas to flow quicker and more free (correct me if i am wrong guys). with the H real far apart very little exhaust will flow "thru" the H as it is "kind of out of the way" (for lack of better words) thus it isn't really producing much of a scavange effect rendering it somewhat useless. i may not have explained that very well so hopefully someone else will chime in.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Animal323
I didnt like the sound of it from what i heard on the website. Im just after the muscle car sound the rumble again i searched the borla xr1 and the magnaflow racing series mufflers on youtube and from what i hear they sound very good deep tone to them. I think i would go with the magnaflow personally. A couple pages back there is a nice H pipe but someone said being that far spaced apart the kid mine as well not have put them up. Why did he say that whats so bad about them being far apart?
Thats exactly why I went with mine. Barely ever raspy, and tone. Like the car should sound.

Quick Reply: True Duals, questions answered here. Post YOUR information and pics too!