Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another debaffled and sealed hood write up

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Another debaffled and sealed hood write up

We all know the stock WS6 hood is really all the functional and many with these hoods are looking for ways to fully utilize its capability. I read all of the old posts about how people made their own foam seal but I needed to somehow have a rain blocker in place as this is my DD for half of the year. I started a thread in which I wanted to find out more information on how to use the existing BGRA pieces without having the whole kit so I wouldn’t have to fabricate my own pieces. 00’WS6Rocket posted pictures of his custom set up with those pieces (thanks) and it got me to thinking that I could do the same but slightly different because I did not want to cut away the foam and keep that clean look. I bought the gasket and the rain blocker and this weekend I was finally free to work on it.

Without much time to think through how I wanted it done, I took out my drill and removed the existing baffles using this webpage from Brian Greene http://www.geocities.com/brian98ramair/Baffle.html Once these were off I lined up the gasket and the existing hole/screw with where I wanted it to be placed and drilled two holes in the same spots on the hood (1/6” bit). I then drilled a hole on each end through the gasket and the hood to make a total of 4 holes (top, bottom, left, right).

I had to run out and buy some screws/nuts/washers/wing nuts for the next step. I bought a pack of 6-32 x 1” machine screws and nuts, 6-32 wing nuts and 1/8” x 1” washers. As you can see from the pics in the link provided on the bottom, I connected the 4 ends using the screws, washers, and nuts. Here was when a little of planning would have come in handy and would have saved some time. I was trying to find a way to somewhat easily remove/connect the rain blocker. I couldn’t put it on the outside of the gasket for obvious reasons and I didn’t want to put it in between the gasket and the outside of the hood because there might have been some clearance issues so the hood wouldn’t shut completely or it would damage the lower lid or the gasket. Plus, I had slightly cracked my hood when drilling one of the holes and did not want to make it worse by having to keep taking the gasket on and off to put on/remove the rain blocker. I figured it out, by removing one honeycomb grill nostril, I can put the rain blocker on the inside of the hood and tighten it in place with the existing screws with another washer (extra stability) and a wing nut through the nostril. Luckily my dad had the correct screwdriver for the goofy screw in the honeycomb and said I could keep it so I keep it and the rain blocker in the car with me when it is not in use.

Now I will say this, it takes a little longer to remove/insert the rain blocker than other ways but it still only takes 1 minute to do and it looks much cleaner IMHO. I am a novice when it comes to stuff like this and it still only took me an hour and a half to complete the whole thing, and that’s with running to the store, thinking on how to set it up, trying to yank out the old baffles, etc. I drove it in moderate rain that afternoon and the following day (about 120 miles worth) with the rain blocker in place, both days I checked my filter right when I got out of the car and it was still bone dry. With the rain blocker out, there is a definite SOTP improvement, especially throttle response, not to mention I think it made the engine and exhaust slightly louder

Here are the pics: http://community.webshots.com/album/551369804AQFsUZ
I'm not sure why some of the pics show the rain blocker crooked, it is straight..... must be the camera angle. Hopefully this will help some people
Old 06-26-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Can you post or pm where you got the gasket and BGRA Pieces?
Old 06-26-2006, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

speed inc. (http://www.ls1speed.com/catagory.cfm?catagory=Induction) has them, thats who I ordered them from. It takes a couple weeks because I guess they are made to order.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks!
Old 06-27-2006, 07:48 AM
On The Tree

no problem
Old 06-27-2006, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

now if only there was something for the SS hood.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Any comments? Either no one cares for it or this topic has been beaten to death I'm guessing its the latter of the two
Old 07-02-2006, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a nice install. I'm getting ready to do the same thing. Just waiting on the pieces to arrive from Speed Inc. Does a foam seal come with the BGRA gasket or do you have to pick up weatherstripping somewhere else?
Old 07-05-2006, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

The foam seal comes already attached to the gasket, the only thing I needed to buy extra were the screws/nuts. The two screws that came with it just barely broke through the other end
Old 07-05-2006, 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks. I can't wait to try this out.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

that rainblocker piece is a waste of money... I have BGRA too. Whenever it rains, i just take the gasket off and drive like that. Been through heavy storms with it and no problems.

The gaskets they give out now are much worse quality then the original gaskets i used to get.

Quick Reply: Another debaffled and sealed hood write up