Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purpose of an X-pipe

Old 07-03-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Purpose of an X-pipe

I' m trying to explain why people use X-pipes in a true-dual setup to someone. I must not be explaining it correctly, because he' s still lost. So can someone please give me a nicely detailed explanation?
Old 07-03-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

What are you tryin to explain?? how much better they flow than a Y pipe? the reason people use X pipes are they flow good and give that aggressive exhaust tone that they want.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

What are the benefits of an X-pipe, than running true duals parallel straight off the headers without an X or H pipe?
Old 07-03-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

well i believe that the X pipe and straight pipes flow the same and there really is no difference there, but most of the time you dont hear about F-bodies with straight pipes since ground clearance issues and stuff like that, plus straight pipes you would have to put hangers up front to keep it from rattling around and stuff like that while the X pipe is sturdy enough to hold itself.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

They equalize back pressure from side to side and improve scavenging.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by motoxlifer
They equalize back pressure from side to side and improve scavenging.
I believe that' s along the answer I' m looking for. He' s arguing that no X or H pipe is the best way to go.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

Well I guess he's right. Open headers with no exhaust would be better, but dual exhaust with no H or X pipe is not better.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:03 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth Z
I believe that' s along the answer I' m looking for. He' s arguing that no X or H pipe is the best way to go.
As far as what? Exhaust sound? Power gains? Clearance?
Old 07-04-2006, 04:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28LS1camaroguy
What are you tryin to explain?? how much better they flow than a Y pipe? the reason people use X pipes are they flow good and give that aggressive exhaust tone that they want.
Nope not at all. An X flows no better than a like for like Y pipe!

well i believe that the X pipe and straight pipes flow the same and there really is no difference there, but most of the time you dont hear about F-bodies with straight pipes since ground clearance issues and stuff like that, plus straight pipes you would have to put hangers up front to keep it from rattling around and stuff like that while the X pipe is sturdy enough to hold itself.
Still wrong!
Old 07-04-2006, 04:38 AM
TECH Addict

Well I guess he's right. Open headers with no exhaust would be better, but dual exhaust with no H or X pipe is not better.
What's the difference between open headers and duals? If the duals have no mufflers or mufflers which flow sufficently then performance would be the same?
Old 07-04-2006, 04:42 AM
TECH Addict

I' m trying to explain why people use X-pipes in a true-dual setup to someone. I must not be explaining it correctly, because he' s still lost. So can someone please give me a nicely detailed explanation?
The mid pipe exists for scavenging purposes, some also claim a balance bar. Essentially this cross over pipe will lower db levels on all setups and scavenge on some setups, although I'm not certain how FI setups react to scavenging of the mid pipe, I suspenct it doesn't really take place to the same extent, but on this I could be wrong.

If you want a more technical write up click the link in my sig Induction/Exhaust. Post 6 is about headers and worth reading. Then skip down to post 13 by David Vizard, there is a lot of info there, but if you scroll down there is a section dedicated to mid pipes.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:52 AM
12 Second Club

300:FYI, your link doenst work anymore. But good info.

Ski
Old 07-04-2006, 05:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rebelord
300:FYI, your link doenst work anymore. But good info.

Ski
Link FIXED

Thanks
Old 07-04-2006, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
What's the difference between open headers and duals? If the duals have no mufflers or mufflers which flow sufficently then performance would be the same?
Several feet of restrictive exhaust tubing, which probably contains bends and curves and changes in I.D. if it's not mandrel bent. How could a full exhaust system flow as well as open headers?
Old 07-04-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

Several feet of restrictive exhaust tubing, which probably contains bends and curves and changes in I.D. if it's not mandrel bent. How could a full exhaust system flow as well as open headers?
I think too may people get WAY to obsessed with flow rate.

2.5" duals flow at zero loss of flow for over 500bhp. Beyond that they won't suddenly choke the motor loosing half the HP it will be a gradual decrease.

A bend will not impede flow to any noticable amount and any car for the street will see no difference IMHO.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:51 AM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i put an h pipe and duals for the sound everyone has a y pipe sound differences is what i did mine for,i will be puttiny a electric cut out fot at the track,or highway
Old 07-04-2006, 11:33 AM
Tech Resident

an x pipe simply increases scavenging. the way the exhaust gases flow around the bends increases the exhaust velocity. the faster the gas exists the better it moves/flows. x pipes do not really outscavenge a y pipe either so i've heard. y pipes scavenge very very well, they're just limited to a single tube versus an x pipe's 2 tubes. the best x pipes are the ones that start out like y pipes then bend into an x. i forget the proper term for them...

it ain't all about flow rate. it's about exhaust velocity. faster exhaust > slower exhaust.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Nope not at all. An X flows no better than a like for like Y pipe!
How do you figure that, X pipe you have two pipes that dont merge into eachother, the exhaust can escape faster through two seperate pipes rather than two that go into one. There would be more backpressure with the Y pipe and it doesnt make sense that straight pipes will flow just as good as open headers, open headers the exhaust goes out fast while straight pipes would be alittle more restrictive than open headers not letting the exhaust escape as soon.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:55 AM
Tech Resident

How do you figure that, X pipe you have two pipes that dont merge into eachother, the exhaust can escape faster through two seperate pipes rather than two that go into one. There would be more backpressure with the Y pipe and it doesnt make sense that straight pipes will flow just as good as open headers, open headers the exhaust goes out fast while straight pipes would be alittle more restrictive than open headers not letting the exhaust escape as soon.
because your engine doesn't need it. a 3" y pipe will flow just as well as a 3" x pipe on a stock cube because it doesn't NEED the extra flow. a 3" setup is perfectly capable of handling over 450hp without being restrictive. the x pipe does NOT function better than a y pipe setup because it flows better. it simply scavenges better. what does that mean? the exhaust exits the car faster. the faster your exhaust exits the more hp you'll produce.

MORE FLOW DOES NOT EQUAL MORE HORSEPOWER. FASTER EXHAUST VELOCITY EQUALS MORE HORSEPOWER.

say that with me. flow is not the end-all-be-all. faster exhaust velocity is the end-all-be-all. flow rate is just a step toward faster exhaust velocity, not the final goal.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:29 PM
Launching!

From the way I understand it, you want to use an X-pipe in a true dual set up to help with scavenging. Think of it this way. When the exhaust valves open, it sends a pulse down the pipe. If you had a single pipe coming from one cylinder bank, (straight pipes) you would have dead spots between pulses. Tie the two pipes together, (X-pipe) and now the pulses equal out better, they line up so to speak. It keeps the pulses flowing out the exhaust. Without the dead spots, when the exhaust valve opens there will be some what of a vacuum in the exhaust to pull the burnt gas out of the cylinder. In turn it allows for a cleaner air charge to enter the chamber. This is what we all want. More air in, more air out.... more power. Hopefully this helps answer your question.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Purpose of an X-pipe