Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics of my new exhaust 3"-4"-3"(Warning! alot of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 09:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Pics of my new exhaust 3"-4"-3"(Warning! alot of pics)

Did a little reflecting on my setup and decided my current exhaust was a bit restrictive for the hp I'm making.

Old exhaust: TTS longtubes, 2 1/2" y-pipe with gutted cats and a 3" borla cat-back wide open.

New exhaust: TTS longtubes, 3" y-pipe, no cats, flowmaster 3"-4" merge, 4" back over the axle, then back to dual 3", old borla muffler, 3 3/4" stainless suv slash tips.

Tossed around the idea of cut-outs or TD's but I just don't like how cramped it is or the ways it needs to be run.

I think I should see a measurable gain from the 4". 6xx rwhp through a 2 1/2" y-pipe and single 3" is definitely a restriction.

The 4" cross section area falls right in between a dual 2.75" and dual 3".

4" cross section area = 12.56
3" cross section area = 7.06 x 2 = 14.12
2.75" cross section area = 5.93 x 2 = 11.86

It didn't go together to bad. All the rain we've been having made the project drag out though . I only have Sunday's off and worked on it a few hours here and there during the week. All in all I'm pretty happy with how it came out.

Had to notch and strengthen the upper panhard bar to clear the 4" over the axle.
The worst part of it was having to make the 4" radius/y into the muffler.

They didnt' make a tight enough radius in 4" pipe so I had to make a template and cut wedges to get what I needed.

A chop box would have been great and saved me alot of time but I didn't have access to one when I started. Did all the marking/cutting with hose clamps/grinder with a cut-off wheel.

The car actually seems a bit more mellow. I fired it without the tips and it was a bit "abrasive". I couldnt' believe how much the tips changed that. They have a core with fiberglass packing. Almost like a bullet. Once those were on it took the "crackle" out of it.

Small vid:
http://media.putfile.com/Preston-and-the-Beast

Thanks to my buddy Cliff . No, I didn't title the clip that lol. Plenty of cars that would tear me up.

Another vid: http://videos.streetfire.net/video/d...03bc12de49.htm

Last edited by SSmokin 01; 07-18-2006 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:10 PM
9 Second Club

Old 07-07-2006, 09:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow looks nice, but we need sound clips buddy!
Old 07-07-2006, 09:22 PM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks awesome, I absolutley love homegrown hardcore stuff.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont like the tips but otherwise good stuff.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not digging the tips
Old 07-07-2006, 10:08 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks fellas. I'll see what I can do about some sound clips.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Regular

I like the tips man, keep em'. Front yard looks like a yard sale! Just kiddin, exhaust looks awesome man, friggin' huge!
Old 07-07-2006, 10:14 PM
TECH Resident

i dont think the tips look too bad.. did u hollow out the borla or just beat the **** out of it really bad...
Old 07-07-2006, 10:23 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fire-formula 93
I like the tips man, keep em'. Front yard looks like a yard sale! Just kiddin, exhaust looks awesome man, friggin' huge!
I'm keeping them. Tips are like wheels. Not everyone likes the same thing.

There's also not a whole lot to choose from in a 3" .i.d. tip. Plenty in 2 1/2" but that would kind of defeat the purpose lol.

Originally Posted by carado1984
i dont think the tips look too bad.. did u hollow out the borla or just beat the **** out of it really bad...
The case is hollow with I'm guessing some sort of packing material. It's just the case thats crushed. The straight pipe going from the inlet/outlet is still in tact.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Regular

Bad *** man! Great job. Where in NY are you from?
Old 07-07-2006, 11:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good lord I bet thats louder than sh*t. Nice fab work.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:32 AM
TECH Addict

do you not have a garage to work in?? poor neighbors
Old 07-08-2006, 02:24 AM
That's what she said...

WOW! That second pic looks like my living room right now! That system looks great man. Only thing I can think of is to run a cutout inline of the passenger side tail pipe. You could divert all flow to the muffler that way. It would be cake to weld in some flanges and bolt the cutout between them.

I plan on running Kooks 1-7/8" into a 3" kooks ORY w/ 4" merge. From there I'm going to stick a 4" bullet inline, then run a 3" cutout (electric) after the bullet. It will have two 3" flow paths at this point.

After the cutout, it'll reduce to 3" and go into an SLP dual/dual for some serious sneaky-sneaky action. The bullet is should make the 3" cutout sound pretty nice when opened.

I've got everything but the headers/ORY/catback, and they are in the mail. My 4' joint of 4" pipe from summit came with a big *** dent in the bitch. I'm not going to need much of it, so I'm not going to sweat it lol. The only problem I have now is fitting the bullet in between the merge on the y and where I want the cutout to be (the "cutout hole" under the rear passenger seat).

BTW - When running my 3" duals out the back, I went to the trucks/SUV section of magnaflow.com to find the ones I'm running now. They are 3" inlet, 3.5" x 5.5" oval. Pics in the sig. I really like the double-walled tips.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:29 AM
10 Second Club

Nice work, I like the tips too
Old 07-08-2006, 11:18 AM
TECH Regular

I feel for you. I've got a 4x4 Ford Ranger that I'm always working on (Fords are Junk!)that doesn't fit into the garage anymore because of the suspension lift and I have no choice but work on it in the driveway. But it looks like you are working in the street, Yikes! Nice fab work by the way
Old 07-08-2006, 11:20 AM
9 Second Club

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

Originally Posted by Lafngas98Z
Bad *** man! Great job. Where in NY are you from?
Long Island.

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
do you not have a garage to work in?? poor neighbors
No garage. If you look in the pic with everything on the driveway you'll see its a single and packed.

It's actually my fiancee's parents house. I've done all the work to my/her car there.

No problems with the neighbors. They're usually just curious to see what I'm doing and stop to chat. It's funny, they've lived there for 20+ years and I know more of their neighbors than they do lol.

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
WOW! That second pic looks like my living room right now! That system looks great man. Only thing I can think of is to run a cutout inline of the passenger side tail pipe. You could divert all flow to the muffler that way. It would be cake to weld in some flanges and bolt the cutout between them.

I plan on running Kooks 1-7/8" into a 3" kooks ORY w/ 4" merge. From there I'm going to stick a 4" bullet inline, then run a 3" cutout (electric) after the bullet. It will have two 3" flow paths at this point.

After the cutout, it'll reduce to 3" and go into an SLP dual/dual for some serious sneaky-sneaky action. The bullet is should make the 3" cutout sound pretty nice when opened.

I've got everything but the headers/ORY/catback, and they are in the mail. My 4' joint of 4" pipe from summit came with a big *** dent in the bitch. I'm not going to need much of it, so I'm not going to sweat it lol. The only problem I have now is fitting the bullet in between the merge on the y and where I want the cutout to be (the "cutout hole" under the rear passenger seat).

BTW - When running my 3" duals out the back, I went to the trucks/SUV section of magnaflow.com to find the ones I'm running now. They are 3" inlet, 3.5" x 5.5" oval. Pics in the sig. I really like the double-walled tips.
I thought about the cut-out there. I just know I'll never close it. I like it loud lol.

Sounds like a nice set-up. Good luck with it.

Thanks for the HU on the magnaflow site
Old 07-08-2006, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

wow looks GOOD, looks like a lot of work ,but its 1 of a kind
Old 07-08-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool

looks real nice..we will be waiting for video........
Old 07-08-2006, 02:21 PM
That's what she said...

Here's an idea. Keep the catted-y and stick a 4" to 3" reducer on there backwards. That way you can put it on for emissions time and it will bolt up to the 4" I pipe.

Quick Reply: Pics of my new exhaust 3"-4"-3"(Warning! alot of pics)