Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Think I Fried My Maf

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006 | 09:15 AM
Staging Lane

Default I Think I Fried My Maf

Well this weekend i installed pacesetter LT.
so i had to exstend my O2's but i did not cover them in wire lume or anything so one wire melted some and it might have shorted.
That brings me to the ses codes i have on. the only codes are maf low circut not anything to do with the O2's. So i took the MAF apart and cleaned it with electric cleaner. but no luck.
So any ideas should i install a new one or will it fry that one and could it be the pcm?

PS will i do any harm if i drive it with it like that?
Old 07-24-2006 | 10:48 AM
TECH Regular

are you running a stock maf or aftermarket. I had similar problems with the SLP maf.
Old 07-24-2006 | 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

its stock
Old 07-24-2006 | 05:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by warscout2
Well this weekend i installed pacesetter LT.
so i had to exstend my O2's but i did not cover them in wire lume or anything so one wire melted some and it might have shorted.
The first thing you want to do is fix the melted wire because that is probably what is causing the SES light.

That brings me to the ses codes i have on. the only codes are maf low circut not anything to do with the O2's. So i took the MAF apart and cleaned it with electric cleaner. but no luck.
Actually the O2 sensors and MAF are powered off the same circuit. It is the engine sensor fuse which is a yellow 20 amp fuse located in the fuse block closest to the front of the car. Many people who have melted O2 wires throw a P0102 MAF Sensor Low Frequency code.

So any ideas should i install a new one or will it fry that one and could it be the pcm?
After you fix the melted wire, check the engine sensor fuse because I bet it's blown, replace the fuse if needed, and you should be good to go.

PS will i do any harm if i drive it with it like that?
No but I believe your car will run in open loop speed density mode all of the time.
Old 07-24-2006 | 05:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stillremains
The first thing you want to do is fix the melted wire because that is probably what is causing the SES light.

Actually the O2 sensors and MAF are powered off the same circuit. It is the engine sensor fuse which is a yellow 20 amp fuse located in the fuse block closest to the front of the car. Many people who have melted O2 wires throw a P0102 MAF Sensor Low Frequency code.

After you fix the melted wire, check the engine sensor fuse because I bet it's blown, replace the fuse if needed, and you should be good to go.

No but I believe your car will run in open loop speed density mode all of the time.

this sounds good but as i was driving home it threw codes for both o2s and and something about the tranny we are going to go check that stuff and then start changing things out.
Old 07-24-2006 | 06:57 PM
Launching!

check the fuses i had a maf problem and the tranny was hard to put in to reverse
Old 07-25-2006 | 12:32 AM
TECH Resident

this sounds good but as i was driving home it threw codes for both o2s and and something about the tranny we are going to go check that stuff and then start changing things out.
I forgot to add in my previous post that the reverse lockout solenoid is also on the engine sensor fuse and I bet you're throwing DTC P0801 Reverse Inhibit Solenoid Control Circuit. I'm almost positive you have a blown engine sensor fuse and once you replace it and fix your melted O2 sensor wire, everything will be back to normal.
Old 07-25-2006 | 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

wow thats why ls1 tech is the best you guys were dead on and after i fixxed the fuse and the wire it runs great. thank you all.

Quick Reply: I Think I Fried My Maf