Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Home Depot Catch Can Parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my setup. I have learned how to load. But apparently from the pics I just took I haven't learned to keep up with emptying out and replacing the inline filter. As you can see I reversed the PCV by rotating the 'heat sink' . from there I put in the tubing and routed it down near the battery up to the two cans and then to the filter and then finally into the intake.
Attached Thumbnails Home Depot Catch Can Parts-s4010032.jpg   Home Depot Catch Can Parts-s4010033.jpg   Home Depot Catch Can Parts-s4010034.jpg   Home Depot Catch Can Parts-s4010036.jpg   Home Depot Catch Can Parts-s4010037.jpg  

Home Depot Catch Can Parts-s4010041.jpg  

Last edited by mySStery_machine; 02-12-2007 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Added more pics
Old 02-12-2007, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

If the canister you use is designed properly it won’t matter,, Uphill or down stream.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Ok so since no one would tell me if I had to run a pcv valve with this set up I went ahead and ran it without it. I'm kinda concerned now though because everyone else seems to still have there's. Is there any real point to it since i'm using a filter now. Is there any real advantage to using a clear fuel filter as well as the compressor filter? For the record my filter's not full, I moved it round before the pic and oil is on the sides of the filter.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Resident

I not only stated that I ran mine from the PCV, but also showed it in my pics. You do still want to use the PCV. As for my double set of compressors and the fuel, the more protection I can gain the better. It is inexpensive enough to replace and it is good for piece of mind.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zacs98Z
Ok so since no one would tell me if I had to run a pcv valve with this set up I went ahead and ran it without it. I'm kinda concerned now though because everyone else seems to still have there's. Is there any real point to it since i'm using a filter now. Is there any real advantage to using a clear fuel filter as well as the compressor filter? For the record my filter's not full, I moved it round before the pic and oil is on the sides of the filter.

HOLLY **** MAN, CLEAN YOUR MOTOR
Old 02-15-2007, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
HOLLY **** MAN, CLEAN YOUR MOTOR
Look at the thrid post on this page. I usually keep my motor clean but I just haven't cleaned it in a while. The exterior looks bad to but I really don't care right now. It's too freakin cold to wash it right now.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=159036&page=3
Old 02-15-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Zacs98Z
Look at the thrid post on this page. I usually keep my motor clean but I just haven't cleaned it in a while. The exterior looks bad to but I really don't care right now. It's too freakin cold to wash it right now.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=159036&page=3

still looks dirt
Old 02-18-2007, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

Stipid question but how do you guys empty your canch cans? Im about to do this and was wondering if you let it drain through the bottom with that valve or if you unhooked it and dumped it out the sides.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:38 PM
TECH Resident

I actually just unscrew them and dump them. Just make sure you take care not to drop the O-ring that seals the container to the line. I can't get anything in there to push in the bottom, then you also run the risk of getting it all over you engine as well.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default draining oil

how is the oil drained I don't see a drain petcock?

Thanks
Old 02-19-2007, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

Look up above your post, I tell how I do it.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have this on mine with duel catch cans.
the oil gets by the first one so I can only assume it gets by the second one. what do you think?
Old 02-19-2007, 11:57 PM
TECH Resident

That's the exact reason O have the inline fuel filter as well. It catches whatever gets through. Not saying that NONE of the oil gets through but a LOT less for sure.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default can

Originally Posted by Ripper415
personally, i wouldn't put the setup where you have it. right now the can and hoses are practically touching those parts of the car that get really really hot while driving. after the car's running a few minutes you could fry an egg off that stuff. i would think you run the risk of melting either the plastic can or hose. it also kinda defeats the purpose of the catch can. the point is to trap as much oil from the oil air mixture as possible. to do this, it needs to reach as cool a temp as it can before it hits the can, allowing the oil to form droplets and condense and be picked up in the can. check out my setup. i have it running around the a/c condensor which stays cool even when the car is running. you have to buy another foot or 2 of hose but at like $1.50 a foot who cares since it helps traps more oil.
I agree w/ you about the heat issue.

I've know about this oil issue for a while. think I'll try you're setup w/ the additon of the truck PCV.

Tip I think you should get some flush cutters (radio shacK $5.) for the tie wrapes the way you have them they will slice you're skin like a razor.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1fast01
Just a question; is it safe to put the oil caught in the catch can back into the motor???
Neg on that - that is blowby, not just oil. It is corrosive and dirty, and probably isn't something you want to put into the engine again. That is why PCV scavenges it out for burning in the first place, it's not really something you want.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default airflow

heres my install instead of using a 90 degree angle coming out of the PCV I used 1/4 copper tubing, I think this will improve the airflow.plus not getting to close to TB cable.

plus I was to cheap to pay $5. for the fittings.

it's been on for 2 two weeks normal driving and of course WOT runs here and there about 200 miles.

can has caught a few drops of oil.
Attached Thumbnails Home Depot Catch Can Parts-catchcan1.jpg   Home Depot Catch Can Parts-catchcan2.jpg   Home Depot Catch Can Parts-catchcan3.jpg  
Old 03-18-2007, 11:28 PM
TECH Regular

There are so many catch cans on the market. I like the Home Depot/Lowes version as it is cheap. But, what is the main feature you need for a catch can to really work? I found some JDM catch cans for less than 20 dollars, new. Are they worth a hoot?
Old 03-19-2007, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default can

I did'nt see a $20. can do you have a link?

basically any container would work to catch oil vapors.

I'm considering this http://www.prostreetonline.com/store...atch_cans.htmlweapon R

the home depot on do'es look kindof cheap. and I think I'll be spending more time than I want to empting it. and dropping the cheap o ring.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:50 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by badmfkr
I did'nt see a $20. can do you have a link?

basically any container would work to catch oil vapors.

I'm considering this http://www.prostreetonline.com/store...atch_cans.htmlweapon R

the home depot on do'es look kindof cheap. and I think I'll be spending more time than I want to empting it. and dropping the cheap o ring.
Its cheap, but if it works it is worth it, if not, chock it up as lesson learned.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OIL-R...mZ230105760637
They have more for this price.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:15 PM
TECH Resident

how long does it usually take you guys before you start seeing oil in the catch can? and a full can?

also, isn't the catch can supposed to go before the pcv filter? i ended up relocating my pcv filter to the hose that comes out of the intake, that way the catch can filters most of the oil before it hits the main filter. i was told to do this. what do you guys think?

i had done it originally by leaving the pcv filter in it's original place and noticed i was catching way too much oil too fast so i relocated it and now it seems like it's more consistent?

i just installed mine today and so far so good.

Quick Reply: Home Depot Catch Can Parts