Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Tricking" PCM into Thinking the EGR System Still Works?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default "Tricking" PCM into Thinking the EGR System Still Works?

I know many of you have done an EGR delete on your cars. You also probably use tuning software to deactivate te EGR system from the PCM. However, for CA smog reasons, is there a way to trick the computer into thinking the EGR system is still active, even though it has been removed? I was thinking there might be some resistors you can use or something. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 08-27-2006, 07:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could you just put a block off plate between the stock header and EGR?

It has to stay in for the visual correct?
Old 08-27-2006, 07:57 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry, I missed that you wanted it removed.

Could you gut it?
Old 08-27-2006, 09:15 PM
TECH Junkie

I was looking at the EGR circuit the other day. Something could be made, but with CA's visuals, it would probably be a lot easier to re-install the EGR for a day.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
I was looking at the EGR circuit the other day. Something could be made, but with CA's visuals, it would probably be a lot easier to re-install the EGR for a day.
Well the LS7 manifold I'm using has no provision for the EGR. I just need to be able to pass the computer scan, visual is not a concern
Old 08-27-2006, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

If you only have to pass the computer scan (checking for codes) then just delete the EGR codes. I don't know anything CA emissions though.

I do remember seeing something about a resistor for the EGR, but I don't remember the details.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Even if you delete the EGR codes, it will still show up as non-functional if it is removed.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Even if you delete the EGR codes, it will still show up as non-functional if it is removed.
I am almost positive that you can disable the codes yet still have the readiness monitors set to "Complete". Unfortunately I can't tell you how to do this. Might want to post this in the tuning forum.

Also, since you have a 99 you are allowed up to 2 "Not Ready" monitors on the OBD II portion of the test. Assuming you don't have 2 other monitors being "Not Ready" you should pass.

Brian
Old 08-28-2006, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well on my last smog I had exactly two not ready codes. One was for the rear oxygen sensors, I'm not sure what the other was for, CAGS maybe? After reading into this more, I guess you can turn off a "trigger" that tells the computer the system is non-functional. So the smog system still thinks its working.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by brians98ss
I am almost positive that you can disable the codes yet still have the readiness monitors set to "Complete". Unfortunately I can't tell you how to do this. Might want to post this in the tuning forum.
This is true.

But, if you are dead set on tricking the EGR, why not extend the wiring to an inconspicuous location and temporarily install the EGR solenoid?
Old 08-29-2006, 06:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i installed my headers, i blocked the egr off at the headers and at the intake, but left it in for visual. can't tell unless you know what your looking at.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:49 PM
Launching!

get rear O2 sims for the rear and turn them back on and use your one "not working" left for the egr. You can get a sim for the skip shift to and be back to two. Probably need one for air too??? That I think would be a simple on or off, resister?????
Old 08-29-2006, 05:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DJ_951
get rear O2 sims for the rear and turn them back on and use your one "not working" left for the egr. You can get a sim for the skip shift to and be back to two. Probably need one for air too??? That I think would be a simple on or off, resister?????
See, what I don't understand is how you are allowed to have a "Not Ready" for your EGR, but not allowed to remove the EGR system. The not ready means the system is not functioning, so why even have the damn thing on the car... Anyone have an explanation?

Quick Reply: "Tricking" PCM into Thinking the EGR System Still Works?