Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch can isn't "catching" anything

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 11:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Catch can isn't "catching" anything

I have that good ole' air water seperater type homemade catch can. There is a little bit of oil in it, its more like residue than anything. My car has 115k miles on it so its possible that I just get alot of blowby from my rings. Is there anything else that it could be?
Old 08-27-2006, 11:55 PM
TECH Resident

Did you hook it up right? Were you getting oil in your intake before? I know my homemade catch-can catches a good amount of oil.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeapaShifter
Did you hook it up right? Were you getting oil in your intake before? I know my homemade catch-can catches a good amount of oil.
That's a good question. I've been looking at putting a "Home Depot Catch Can" in my car and have purchased all the parts. However, I've looked at just about any install I can find (on the net) and seem to be finding contradicting installs. I've seen, on some installs, the arrow on the Husky filter sometimes pointing toward the TB and on other installs, pointing away from the TB. Which way is correct? I think I've determined that the arrow should be pointing toward the TB. Also, should the PCV be on the manifold side of the Husky filter or on the TB side of the filter?

Any of these issues should have an effect on how the oil is captured... I'd think.

Thanks,
Marc
Old 08-28-2006, 09:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Mine was catching alot after I installed it. I switched to 5W40 M1 from the 5W30 I had been using, and it barely catches anything now. The arrow should be pointing towards the TB, in the direction of the flow. My PCV is before the filter.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

i would put the PCV on the valve cover side of the filter with the arrow pointing toward the TB

reason being is that -
1) the arrow is there to show which way the air is supposed to flow
2) the PCV may help the oil vapor to condense a TINY bit before it hits the catch can. this will help the catch can do its job better.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you have an oil problem to begin with? Do you
spend a lot of time at WOT? To blow oil out the PCV
you have to be pressurizing the crankcase and have
a vacuum level in the manifold.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:43 PM
12 Second Club

I don't have an oil problem at all, I just put a catch can on because I did notice oil in the intake.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:16 PM
12 Second Club

I got an ebay catch can, and im not really cathing any oil it goes right throught the catch can and in to the intake. It doesn matter wich way this catch can goes on right?

I have heard of putting an inline filter between the catch can and intake, do you think this would work or just get clogged.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I reached a point where I stopped looking at wacky *** installs and simply worked it out. I'd like to thank LS69TA and iamsickofitall for their comments. That's exactly what I figured out after reading up on it, but a little validation never hurts.

Thanks,
Marc

Quick Reply: Catch can isn't "catching" anything