Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me figure this out...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 06:54 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Help me figure this out...

Okay installed the headers, hooked up the TDs w/ it today. It has a leak on the band clamp which will get fixed tomorrow. It will get replace w/ a flange type connection. Okay let me get to the point! The car sounds great at idle and so so on WOTs. Reason I'm saying that is the car stumbles and backfires when I press the gas instanly (WOTs) and sometimes misfire. I checked all the wires, plug wires they're not touching the headers. Plugs and the wires are good. I've capped the little hose behind the intake manifoldd from deleting the AIR system. I've capped the EGR hole on the intake. What else am I missing? I didn't take any sensors out or unplug any sensors other than the O2 sensors, EGR and AIR sensors. I'm thinking the car is running TOO rich? My wife can smell the fumes and so do I. I've heard that I don't really need a tune for just exhaust done to the car, so no tune yet on it. I've reset the computer when I installed the headers and ran open headers for a day. Do I need to reset it again when I hooked up the true duals?

Any helpful info is greatly appreciated. I thought I've covered everything but apparently not because the car isn't running right.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

recheck your plug wires and make sure they are all "snapped in place" if you do a search you will see that this is a prob.. also if you have the factory 7mm get some 8 or 8.5 wires.. did you leave the plugs in to do the swap? if so it could be a cracked plug. just a few suggestions.. if not that then check your o2's. did you get extensions? i had the same prob switched to taylor thundervolt 10.4 wires and have no probs now. check into it. later aaron
Old 09-06-2006, 09:23 PM
Trunion King

I took out the plugs before I put the headers on and also bought new set of O2 bosch sensors... I'll check my wires tomorrow. Thanks for you input.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Regular

+1 on plug wire check. Solved my problems. Good luck.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

it doesnt matter what size plug wires you have......... what has happened is that you have a hairline crack on one of your plugs. on the header installs i have done its always the first one on the passenger side or the second one on the driver side, your gonna have to really look at those plugs because even a little bitty knick will make it malfuntion. good luck

charlie
Old 09-06-2006, 09:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CNVRTmyZ
it doesnt matter what size plug wires you have......... what has happened is that you have a hairline crack on one of your plugs. on the header installs i have done its always the first one on the passenger side or the second one on the driver side, your gonna have to really look at those plugs because even a little bitty knick will make it malfuntion. good luck

charlie
But he said he removed the plugs prior to header install. But I guess it doesnt hurt to look.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:36 PM
Trunion King

Will check the plugs for cracks too.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:12 AM
TECH Regular

Check your gaps aswell... I barely tapped a plug on the header primary ... it messed the gap up.

There is definitly a misfire in there. The engine is reading it, dumping more fuel, causing the unburnt fuel to go into the hot exhaust and ingnite, hence the backfire (mine sounded like a gun going off at times) and the terrible gas smell . If you bought new O2 sensors and you are still having problems with the O2's, check and make sure your extensions are not in contact with a header primary. Hope everything works out for you!

Another thing, if you went from stock exhaust to headers with true duals , it MAY take your PCM a couple miles to get used to the drastic change in exhaust flow. My problems became ALOT more prevalant when i replaced the stock catback with the duals. The headers were already installed.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:11 PM
Trunion King

FOUND OUT THE PROBLEM WAS!!!! 3 yep I said THREE cracked plugs. I must've crack them somehow when I was putting them back on because it wasn't crack when I took them off and getting them back installed. Anyways I fixed the problem. I'm sooo stoked. The car sounds soooo mean and NO backfires or misfire! Now all I have to do is fix the damn band clamp. Tried the aluminum foil trick got rid some of the leak but its still there. Gonna have to get it off and have the muffler shop get me the flanged connection.

Last edited by bene; 09-07-2006 at 06:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Help me figure this out...