Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR mounting instruction for SLP LS6 intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default EGR mounting instruction for SLP LS6 intake

Does anyone know how the EGR tube should be mounted on the SLP LS6 intake. Specifically, I would like to know:
- Where on the EGR tube to cut?
- How much to torque down the EGR fitting nut on the intake?
- Should the tube be installed the header-side first, or the intake-side first, or does it matter?

Thanks.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

IMO i would just take it off, just a waste of space.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:35 AM
Restricted User

um dude the LS6 intakes dont use EGR first of all, and second of all delete all that crap, its useless, takes up space, shaves a few pounds off ur car, its harmless if you do delete it, and read around all that it will do is set off a mickey mouse check engine code you can have erased with just any decent program/tuner...if your headers have the provisions for EGR for the stock LS1 style manifold, then all you have to do is take it all out including the AIR pump/system, and buy a blockoff kit from somewhere like thunder racing...ill even set u up with the links so u can read buy 'em out without searching much..

http://thunderracing.com/catalog/?ac...id=223&pcid=54

*Part#"99-86EGR" Thunder Racing LS1 EGR Block-off plate, stainless $10.00

*Part#"99-86SP" Thunder Racing LS1 Smog-pump (A.I.R.) tube Block-off plate, Stainless Steel (2 required) $9.00
there u go buddy
Old 09-08-2006, 02:41 AM
TECH Addict

you CAN buy them from SLP with the EGR fitting on them, but you shouldnt have to cut anything, not sure about torque but I would just snug it up, dont forget the intake is just plastic, and it really dont matter which side you attach first. But a normal LS6 intake WILL NOT have the EGR provision on it, it has to be one of the special ones im pretty sure SLP is the only company that makes them
Old 09-08-2006, 03:10 AM
On The Tree

Sorry. Forgot to mention that I already have the intake. But I did mention SLP, which its LS6 intakes come with the EGR provision.

As far as the cutting goes, I think I've read some posts here that I have to cut the tube, otherwise it can't be inserted into the fitting. (And I believe so too by looking at the shapes of both the fitting and the tube.)

The EGR tube is kinda stiff. I'm guessing it might have to be bent somewhat to make it fit because the length will be different after the cut. I probably would know for sure by myself when I actually do the swap, but I just wanted to ask for tips first to save some time from trials and errors.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:06 AM
12 Second Club

WTF are you guys talking about, the SLP LS6 intake can come with the EGR provision. (It's also offered without it).

Here's a pic of mine :

Here's the pic from SLP's website :

I can't find a link to any online instructions, but you need to cut the end fitting off the EGR tube so it will go into the fitting they provide, just above the ridge where the size of the tube changes. I don't have the torque spec, but use a screwdriver through the little hole to hold the bottom while you snug the top up good. Careful not to overtorque it. The EGR line is flexible so it doesn't matter when end of the EGR gets mounted first, take your pick.

It's a nice increase in power over the stock LS1 intake.

Cheers and good luck,
Rob (Bad30th)
Old 09-08-2006, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

That's exactly what I want to know. Thanks.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Oh, one more thing.

This is a used intake. Do the gaskets need to be replaced?
Old 09-08-2006, 12:26 PM
12 Second Club

Nope, they should be fine and shouldn't need to be replaced... Just make sure there are no rips/nicks in them where they seal the intake ports and the TB.

The rear of the SLP intake has the same provisions as the stock LS1 for brake booster, MAP and HVAC line. It should come with a MAP sensor.

Cheers,
Rob (Bad30th)
Old 09-08-2006, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

Ok. I think I'm ready to go then. I'll probably do the swap tonight.
Thanks again for your help.