Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with intake/TB for 408

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with intake/TB for 408

I'm budget building a LQ4 402. I want to use a LS6 intake but what TB should I get. Can I use the stock 6.0 truck TB? Should I have the stock one ported or just go and buy a bigger aftermarket unit? I'll also be running a set of LS6 heads. I have access to a family owned machine shop so most of the work will be done in house, however this is the first Gen III build so I want to get it right the first time.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:54 PM
TECH Regular

since your on a budget I'd say send the ls6 intake to tony mamo( I think thats right) and have him port it and do a real good job porting the TB, also Id go SD and loose the maf. Then later if you want you can dish some money out on a better set up
Old 09-14-2006, 07:18 PM
10 Second Club

step it up to a sheet metal intake and a 90mm throttle body.

unless you have already bought and had LS6 heads ported go look for information on the L92 heads.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cop Car
step it up to a sheet metal intake and a 90mm throttle body.

unless you have already bought and had LS6 heads ported go look for information on the L92 heads.

I thougth he said he was on a budget. Oh yes, he did. So that makes the sheet metal set up out of the question. But the prices of the Fast set upr are coming down. I would stay with the LS6 intake for now when you get the cash later then explore other options...
Old 09-14-2006, 08:41 PM
10 Second Club

he didnt say how big of a budget. ive seen sheetmetal intakes for the $1500 range, which makes them a few hundred more than the FAST. he will see much better gains with a sheetmetal than a FAST
Old 09-18-2006, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

As far as the heads go I've read that a set of ported 317 heads will put up similar flow #s to the LS6. I'm just worried about not having enough compression with the 317's. Since I'm also thinkin of spraying some nitrous on down the line would it be better suited with the smaller LS6 combustion chambers or the larger 317's. I don't think i'll need a sheet metal intake now because this is just a street car. Isn't it a bad idea to hog out the stock TB. I've read that some tuners won't fool with a setup like that. How much larger can you go on the stock LS6.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 68LS1WANNABE
As far as the heads go I've read that a set of ported 317 heads will put up similar flow #s to the LS6. I'm just worried about not having enough compression with the 317's. Since I'm also thinkin of spraying some nitrous on down the line would it be better suited with the smaller LS6 combustion chambers or the larger 317's. I don't think i'll need a sheet metal intake now because this is just a street car. Isn't it a bad idea to hog out the stock TB. I've read that some tuners won't fool with a setup like that. How much larger can you go on the stock LS6.
go look for info on L92 heads, they flow 330 cfm at .600 lift right out of the box. $800 for a brand new assembled set from GM. this would also dictate your intake choice however. you would either need to use the L92 truck intake (bad idea) the carbed L92 intake from gm (has places to be drilled out for injectors) or the L76 (i think) intake from australia that is still not out here yet.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

What do L92 come off of? Guessing the ls6 intake won't work either. Would this be a good setup for one of the sheetmetal intakes you've been talking about. When I think sheetmetal it reminds me off the super tall runners on a 10.5 Outlaw. Are we on the same page here or you have something else in mind. There will be some additional cleareance under the hood since it will be going under a 68 camaro with a 2in cowl.