Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT Header Help...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT Header Help...

I'm going to buy some pace setter long tube headers with a off road y-pipe, but I was wondering if I should buy the race version with no AIR or EGR? Does the race version still have o2 sensors? Also I wanted to make sure that all I need for the installation is header gaskets, two 24in. o2 extensions and a couple exaust clamps.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by horse-power
I'm going to buy some pace setter long tube headers with a off road y-pipe, but I was wondering if I should buy the race version with no AIR or EGR? Does the race version still have o2 sensors? Also I wanted to make sure that all I need for the installation is header gaskets, two 24in. o2 extensions and a couple exaust clamps.
yes the race headers do still have the o2 fittings. All I used on my header install was the stock gaskets. I did put a little bit of high temp silicone on the gaskets. I don't know if those headers come with gaskets or not but if they do DON"T use the gaskets. They are crap. Reuse the stock gaskets.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

Thanks, they do come with gaskets, but if they are crap I don't want to use them. What about the header bolts can I use my old ones are should I buy new ones.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can use the stock header bolts. I would advise taking out the sparkplugs because I broke one of mine when pushing my headers up through. They were brand new But the best place for the paper gaskets that come with the headers is in the trash.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:03 AM
12 Second Club

Pacesetters now come with copper gaskets, which I hear work great. I re-used the stock ones though. Also, you should get enough exhaust clamps with the headers and y.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:08 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you need to replace the gaskets, the dead soft aluminum ones work really well also.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:54 AM
TECH Resident

I wouldnt recommend reusing the stock ones either. Go to a dealership and get the stock metal gm gaskets. I have heard they are the best to use. Does ARP make header bolts? If they do, id consider replacing the stock ones with the ARP's. I Wish i had done that if its possible.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:00 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

It is hard to beat the MLS stockers though. Yes, ARP makes header bolts for our heads. They are header studs actually. Part# 113-434-1301 www.thunderracing.com
Old 11-07-2006, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

I was wondering were I could get the block off plate that goes over the hole in the intake when I remove my EGR tube? Also If I buy the race style headers will I need any other block off plates to finish removing my AIR and EGR? I know taking the AIR and EGR off will cause my SES light to come on, but will it cause my car to run bad? One more question, is there a hand held tuner that can delete the codes so that my SES light will stay off?
Old 11-08-2006, 01:42 AM
TECH Resident

If u buy the race style headers then they will remove ur AIR and EGR inlets and u can just remove hose from the system. Yes ur SES light will come on after u remove the AIR and EGR. I dont know if there is a held hand tuner to delete codes, but i would just go to a tuner and have him delete it. It's not that expensive. U can also get a performance tune at the same time while ur at it.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:11 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

You have to have them deleted with tuning software. Handhelds are sucky anyway.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:03 AM
12 Second Club

I was wondering were I could get the block off plate that goes over the hole in the intake when I remove my EGR tube?
No plate. You want a rubber expansion plug. The two sizes that work are 1 1/4" - 1 3/8" and 1 3/8" - 1 1/2".
Old 11-08-2006, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

I'm guessing I can buy the rubber expansion plug at Lowe's or Home Depot? Does anyone know if there is a good tuner around Paducah, KY.? I heard there is a good tuner around Memphis, Tn. About how much would it cost to get my EGR and AIR codes deleted?
Old 11-08-2006, 10:17 AM
12 Second Club

I'm guessing I can buy the rubber expansion plug at Lowe's or Home Depot?
Maybe, I don't know. I found mine at Advance Auto Parts.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

i would go ahead and take your spark plugs out so you don't break them and also just check and see what kind of condition they're in. i put all new ones in mine. also check your header bolts and see how rusty they are...i replaced mine for like $25. as for deleting the codes, it would be a good idea....mine keep going on and off, i need to do the same. not sure about the cost, maybe $40-50
Old 11-08-2006, 11:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by amsterdamn
Pacesetters now come with copper gaskets, which I hear work great. I re-used the stock ones though. Also, you should get enough exhaust clamps with the headers and y.
True about the Pacesetter copper gaskets. I just put my Pacesetter LT's on and they have some good looking copper gaskets now. I had already bought the stock GM ones though so I used them. It should cost you no more than $50 to get the EGR and rear O2 codes deleted. Your SES light will come on after about 5 minutes with the LT's. Mine runs great....just need to find time to get the codes deleted now. I used the bolts that came with the headers...just put a little Anti-sieze on them first.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:13 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

You can pick up that freeze plug in the HELP! section at most auto parts vendors.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

So from what I've gathered the pacesetters should come with the clamps and copper gaskets and I can use my old header bolts. I can buy the rubber expansion piece for my EGR at advanced auto and get the codes deleted for around $50. So now I just need to find a tuner around my location, does anyone no were I can find one around Paducah, Ky.?
Old 11-08-2006, 06:11 PM
TECH Veteran

So from what I've gathered the pacesetters should come with the clamps and copper gaskets and I can use my old header bolts. I can buy the rubber expansion piece for my EGR at advanced auto and get the codes deleted for around $50. So now I just need to find a tuner around my location, does anyone no were I can find one around Paducah, Ky.?
Try using this link.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/424857-looking-local-tuner-seriously-read-me-before-asking.html