Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K & N filter....who wants it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 03:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
yea but where does it say that K&N filters let everything through them
In many independant tests, all available via the interweb Just go look. And no not everything, but a suprising high percentage over paper or synthetic weave.

and blow your engine up?
eh???

It will cause increased wear not combustion

and ALOT of people buy them simply b/c if you keep your car long enough it is cheaper.
But it isn't, this is the great myth about k&n filters.

Paper filters are generally pretty cheap to buy, from a dealer sure they can be pricey but motorfactors and independant shops are always cheaper.

Plus even on an Fbody I think the filter change interval is something stupid like 20k miles or once a year. But due to k&n's clogging up quicker they will need to be cleaned far more frequently, 2 or 3 times the amount if they are to even maintain equal performance with paper filters. This means cleaning fluid and oil and of course time?

How long does it take to properly clean, re-oil and dry a k&n compared to swapping in a new paper filter??

New ford trucks paper filters are like 40-60 bux a piece, so its like 10 bux more for a K&N,
Plus cleaning and oil and more often. Think this has been covered already.

and if you plan to keep the truck for a while 1> you dont have to worry about finding a store that has it in stock
You seriously saying buying an air filter for a mass produced truck which currently ranks as the BEST selling vehicle class in the world is going to be a challenge????

2> you dont have to spend another 50 dollars.
No but you'd have spent about that on cleaning the k&n if not more. I would be very surpised is a filter cost that much anyhow.

I mean even here in the UK I can buy a brand new imported paper filter for my LS1 off the shelf for under £15 where as a k&n would be costing me around £60 for the filter. I can buy OEM paper air filters for Land Rovers off the shelf for under £10 where as a k&N costs £55 for the filter.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there are certain tradeoffs though for a K&N vs. an OEM paper filter. flowrate is backed up per the K&N website I believe. the quality of material the K&N filters are made out of makes me feel more secure that I'm using a quality filter and not a POS motorcraft filter from autozone.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:33 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
/!\... Fram oil filters are no good?!.../!\ ... I usually get AC Delco oil Filters, but Average Auto didn't have them last time. I go to Checker now...
Well...let me put it this way. I'll never run one on my car.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Well...let me put it this way. I'll never run one on my car.
My family has ran Fram products in our cars and race cars since before I can remember. Never had any problems.

I don't know any problems you have had but Fram, Purolator, AC Delco, etc are all right on the same level when it comes to oil filters.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Justin00SS
My family has ran Fram products in our cars and race cars since before I can remember. Never had any problems.

I don't know any problems you have had but Fram, Purolator, AC Delco, etc are all right on the same level when it comes to oil filters.
what about their air filters?
Old 11-15-2006, 09:39 AM
Launching!

i changed over to paper filter a long time ago. i figured if i want the same effect as a k&n i'd just stab some holes in the paper filter with a screwdriver
Old 11-15-2006, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1 SIC Z
what about their air filters?
Got one in my car right now.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

I smash Brawney paper towels into my oil filter. I mean look at the name. ******* Brawney. It doesn't get any manlier then that!

Even the guy on the package looks like he'd climb a tall *** mountain just to take a leak off of it.
Sig worthy
Old 11-15-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by m6speed
i changed over to paper filter a long time ago. i figured if i want the same effect as a k&n i'd just stab some holes in the paper filter with a screwdriver
Thats about the size of it......

Old 11-15-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
In many independant tests, all available via the interweb Just go look. And no not everything, but a suprising high percentage over paper or synthetic weave.

eh???

Paper filters are generally pretty cheap to buy, from a dealer sure they can be pricey but motorfactors and independant shops are always cheaper.

Plus even on an Fbody I think the filter change interval is something stupid like 20k miles or once a year. But due to k&n's clogging up quicker they will need to be cleaned far more frequently, 2 or 3 times the amount if they are to even maintain equal performance with paper filters. This means cleaning fluid and oil and of course time?

How long does it take to properly clean, re-oil and dry a k&n compared to swapping in a new paper filter??

You seriously saying buying an air filter for a mass produced truck which currently ranks as the BEST selling vehicle class in the world is going to be a challenge????

No but you'd have spent about that on cleaning the k&n if not more. I would be very surpised is a filter cost that much anyhow.

I mean even here in the UK I can buy a brand new imported paper filter for my LS1 off the shelf for under £15 where as a k&n would be costing me around £60 for the filter. I can buy OEM paper air filters for Land Rovers off the shelf for under £10 where as a k&N costs £55 for the filter.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:43 PM
11 Second Club

Laughable! AC Delco oil filter>Fram oil filter
Old 11-15-2006, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
Laughable! AC Delco oil filter>Fram oil filter
ehhh.....I'm not too particular. I use AC delco, Fram, Mobil1, purolator, etc.

Except of k&n because they aren't worth it.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton

eh???

By blowing an engine I ment it stops working not literally blowing up
And Ive worked at advance auto for over 3 years and currently do, now a days for how specific cars are getting it is IMPOSSIBLE for a local parts store to keep filters in stock for EVERY MAKE AND MODEL, so yea for a 05/06 ford truck we have to order the filters and their 60 bux for the paper ones, and the fuel filters are 60ish too, the K&N cleaning kit is 10 bux and can be used many times. Like what was said everyone to all their own
Old 11-15-2006, 06:19 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Except of k&n because they aren't worth it.
Whats wrong with K&N oil filters? I mean, they're no fram...
Old 11-15-2006, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Coy
Old 11-15-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Coy
They cost more then the fram. I'm sure they are a fine oil filter but if they perform like their air filters do then I don't want it.

I bet you have to recharge the oil filter from time to time as well.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BirdmanLS1
meh, some of us want to blow our stock engine so we have more of a reason to get a 408

My car came from the factory with a k/n . 82,000 miles later it looks brandnew . when I oil it I set it out in the sun before putting back on the car . I swapped intakes a few weeks ago and my factory one is super clean inside . intake port / valves had no deposites
Old 11-15-2006, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cws T/A

My car came from the factory with a k/n . 82,000 miles later it looks brandnew . when I oil it I set it out in the sun before putting back on the car . I swapped intakes a few weeks ago and my factory one is super clean inside . intake port / valves had no deposites
I think only the GMMG cars came with k&n type stock.

I think nearly all f-bodies came with the paper stock. I coule be wrong about special models though.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:16 PM
Teching In

Wow, i actually read every single post So here is what i think is a legite question, what about people with CAI's? Do they even make a cone paper filter?...i just haven't seen one so i'm asking to know, not to be a smart ***.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ryan34
Wow, i actually read every single post So here is what i think is a legite question, what about people with CAI's? Do they even make a cone paper filter?...i just haven't seen one so i'm asking to know, not to be a smart ***.
Yes.

Alot of fords come with cone filters. So do the GTOs. You'll have to measure the diameter of your intake and then that of the filter and find one that matches it.