Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mufflex Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 05:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mufflex Exhaust

does anybody have it? saw it on speedinc.com, comes in 3.5 to 4 inch, w/flowmaster race muffler or spintech muffler. My car has an intake and a flowmaster muffler. looking to get good sounding/performing catback. if i got with the 4" will there be enough back pressure?
Old 11-22-2006, 05:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by noxiouSS
does anybody have it? saw it on speedinc.com, comes in 3.5 to 4 inch, w/flowmaster race muffler or spintech muffler. My car has an intake and a flowmaster muffler. looking to get good sounding/performing catback. if i got with the 4" will there be enough back pressure?

3 inch is plenty the 3.5 and 4.0 on mostly stock car is way overkill
Old 11-22-2006, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

overkill, but fine. Specially because you'll be able to grow into it.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
overkill, but fine. Specially because you'll be able to grow into it.

Old 11-23-2006, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both 4" mufflex setups, the single outlet flowmaster and the dual outlet Spintech. The flowmaster is quite a bit louder, and nicer sounding IMO. Backpressure...who wants that? The catbacks are very nice but take some adjusting because they are so big, so they don't clunk or rattle. I do think it would be a much better value if they offered more muffler options, since both muffler options are a chambered setup and they don't flow overly well.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Backpressure is something you don't want. The old myth only exists that on a stock tune removing the exhaust restriction will alter the fueling, hence people think backpressure is good. But it ain't.

The larger the tubing the better flow and less restrictive at higher HP levels. On a h/c setup the 3" Y is becoming a noticable restriction, although having said that there are plenty of people who have topped over 600rwhp with them to no real detrement.

The biggest issue with a 4" setup is locating it, it will be a bit of a bugger. Plus it might loose out on exhaust velocity and sacrifice a little low end grunt. But probably not and this is because from what I've heard the mufflers used on these system flow like crap (well in a manor of speaking). In the FI forum these mufflers are not favoured at all and have proven to be a serious restriction on high HP setups. So they seem to completly negate what they are designed for.

Also be warned you'll only have one tail pipe with this setup, some like others hate this.

Personally I think there are better exhausts out there.

Stainless Works offer a 3.5" "Muscleflow" exhaust, don't know much about the muffler but Stainless Works has a great reputation.

I think it's EAD who make a chambered exhaust using Stainless Works Powerpack mufflers.

The GMMG is always good, but the Powerpack certainly flows better. And of course Stainless Works own chambered exhaust.

If you're on more of a budget then the SLP LM is very good also, but will sound better if you run CATs. Swapping the resonator out for a Magnaflow muffler is a cheap alternative, thus then making a "Magnamouth".
Old 11-23-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

the 4" will make very close to the same amount of power in the curve as duals. Peak power will be a little less but not enough to really factor in. It will flow well and if you want a different muffler they offer a mangaflow muffler. I don't know how it sounds but I've seen a few people using it.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:20 AM
TECH Regular

thanks for the info guys.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

I really like the way the spintech sounds-very unique
Old 11-23-2006, 11:03 AM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Stainless Works offer a 3.5" "Muscleflow" exhaust, don't know much about the muffler but Stainless Works has a great reputation.

I think it's EAD who make a chambered exhaust using Stainless Works Powerpack mufflers.

The GMMG is always good, but the Powerpack certainly flows better. And of course Stainless Works own chambered exhaust.
We made a 4" Chambered exhaust using www.classicchambered.com mufflers. We went with those because they offer a chambered muffler with a true 3" ID. Sweet thunder and Stainless Works both offer mufflers with 3" inlets, but the actual muffler is still only 2.5"

See the link in my sig for videos, pics, and dyno.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim @ EAD Performance
We made a 4" Chambered exhaust using www.classicchambered.com mufflers. We went with those because they offer a chambered muffler with a true 3" ID. Sweet thunder and Stainless Works both offer mufflers with 3" inlets, but the actual muffler is still only 2.5"

See the link in my sig for videos, pics, and dyno.
Cheers for the clarification. Sounds bad ***