Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need my car more quiet, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 12:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I need my car more quiet, please help!

Hello there, I've done my search and still can't decide. I recently installed Flowtech Longtubes with non-catted 3" ypipe (everything else is stock meaning no cam). On the ipipe I have a chambered muffler (from classicchambered.com) and a electric cutout after it. Below is a picture of what the setup looks like:

With it open it sounds way too loud for my taste. Now what do you think I can replace the chambered muffler with to make it quiter? I know someone is going to say put in some cats but I'm trying to not go that route. At WOT its just WAY TOO LOUD and too me kind of sounds terrible. I'm sure its commen sense that I'm looking for something that takes out the rasp or atleast somewhat eliminates it since I will be running no cats. Please help, thanks guys!

Last edited by scof0elife; 11-23-2006 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a stock ws6 catback if you want it .
Old 11-23-2006, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Are you saying it's too loud with the cutout open?

If so... why...not just close it?
Old 11-23-2006, 02:02 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LSUxBlake
Are you saying it's too loud with the cutout open?

If so... why...not just close it?
Well I have my stock slp catback on and when close its not going to give me the sound that I want. Basically sounding badass but when open its just really loud with a bit of rasp.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turn it off.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, either get yourself a catback, or have another Y pipe made. My cutout was very raspy until I had a Y-pipe made with a flowmaster-style Y collector, and that took care of all the problems. It will still be very loud, but that's what you expect when you have a cutout. As far as anything else you can do, maybe put a bullet right behind each header.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Regular

Another ypipe may help. But if you look at the picture, when open the cutout goes through my chambered muffler first not the other way around. So I was hoping a bullet would quiet it down.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you tried to just close the cutout partially? My setup is totally different from yours. I have Stainless Works headers with catted Y pipe going into the I pipe which contains the cutout then going into a B&B Triflo catback. Having the cutout open all the way was too loud for me too....and I hated that "blat blat blat" sound.

So my solution to this was pictured below:

So that's why I am thinking that if you play with the cutout and find a setting that's suitable for you, you wouldn't have to spend any more money on other parts?