Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Water Pump and GREEN Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 07:14 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
so now i'm out 3 hours of labor, a new thermostat and like 4 gallons of wasted green coolant....
Look on the bright side, at least it wasn't Dexcool! That ****'s expAAnsive!

Old 01-11-2007, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, my car's all screwed to hell.

i must have gotten a bad water pump or something because it won't stop overheating. replaced the thermostat, still overheating. i just spent the last hour at the shop watching my car beating the **** out of itself according to the ODBII scanner, the temps saw 252*. seems a little excessive. at least it MIGHT be the pump.

so now i'm out 3 hours of labor, a new thermostat and like 4 gallons of wasted green coolant, and the car is in worse shape than when i brought it there. the car has never overheated before. all that was wrong was a slowly leaking water pump. now the car may as well be undrivable.

yay to my luck. someone's got it out for me today. while at the shop, a little panel with a screw on it fell out of the ceiling and came like 4 inches from konking me in the head. granted the thing weight half a pound, but it's out of principle. everything's fucked.

bah
i dont think its possible to have good luck taking anything to a plain old shop , reason i fix with everything myself.

start trouble shooting- your fans turning on ?? all your fuses good? if your fans arent coming on it wont really matter how new your wp is, or how good your green fluid is..
Old 01-11-2007, 07:26 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
That's because it takes an act of congress to get the air out of these cooling systems sometimes. Temps will skyrocket and fall over and over again.

You just need to start it up cold with the cap off, stand next to it adding water a little at a time untill it's full. It may take a while, and the water may try to bubble out of the cap at times, but it's not full yet. I've found squeezing the radiator hose speeds this process. When it starts to come out of the cap, screw the cap on, then test the waters before removing it agian.

Don't beat yourself up (too much), if the pump was leaking from the weep hole, then it needs to be replaced.
we did this for damn near 3 hours. no success. the line to the thermostat is staying ice cold, yet we tried 2 thermostats to no avail. it simply seems the pump isn't churning the mixture.

FWIW, i was switching to green because the guy's been egging me to. he had me convinced. he swaps nearly all his cars over to green. it seems A LOT of mechanics have a vendetta against dexcool. he just did a waterpump swap on an SS camaro and switched to green coolant - with 100% success and ease, of course. i get the shitty end of the stick.

Originally Posted by 00454sscamaro
i dont think its possible to have good luck taking anything to a plain old shop , reason i fix with everything myself.

start trouble shooting- your fans turning on ?? all your fuses good? if your fans arent coming on it wont really matter how new your wp is, or how good your green fluid is..
the fans work fine. as far as i can tell, they're the only thing keeping the engine from melting

i really don't care what coolant i use as long as my waterpump lasts a long time and i have no head gasket issues. i had a kid in my class who works on cars a lot tell me he's changed a car over to green before and sold it a few months later. a month after he sold it, the head gasket went bad. yea, that made me feel good

i've heard plenty of radio mechanics bash dexcool, also. i don't know what to think about coolant. i just don't want a bad head gasket or a bad water pump. i just want my car to WORK
Old 01-11-2007, 08:15 PM
Teching In

http://bioengr.ag.utk.edu/Extension/...es/engcool.htm

read this
Old 01-11-2007, 08:45 PM
That's what she said...

Alot of mechanics are against this new fangled idea we call "EFI" too.....
Old 01-11-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GA/TA
I'm not a hundred percent positive on this but i was told one time that if you completely flush the system and put green in there its ok. Its when the 2 mix it creates that muddy **** and it can clog up everything.
Someone had evidentally put green coolant in my old 98 six banger bird, back when I began driving, it caught a leek and I put the dextrol in it. It wasn't long before that muddy **** built up clogged the radiator and eventually blew the engine. I think presone makes a new coolant that can add to either or.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by greysteel_M6
Someone had evidentally put green coolant in my old 98 six banger bird, back when I began driving, it caught a leek and I put the dextrol in it. It wasn't long before that muddy **** built up clogged the radiator and eventually blew the engine. I think presone makes a new coolant that can add to either or.
yes they do, you are supposed to use purified water with dexcool, and actually even with the green stuff. sorry to hear your having problems, when you flushed the system did you notice any gunk. if so maybe there is a clog in the heater hoses.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

ok your bottom line is "ice cold"... did you guys ever take out the radiator OR THE HOSE TO THE RADIATOR and check for blockage? are you getting fluid coming out of the vent lines on top of the heads?
Old 01-12-2007, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

you could always seafoam your radiator..
Old 01-12-2007, 12:13 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by SiL3NtXWS6

You had that one-a-comin' choco.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OUCH!!!
Old 01-12-2007, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Rofl! that's freakin' great! Maybe he could do a write up for us
Old 01-12-2007, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Camaroz
Rofl! that's freakin' great! Maybe he could do a write up for us
But that would mean he would actually have to do work to his car
Old 01-12-2007, 09:38 PM
Tech Resident

well, fixed the problem. turns out napa gave me a bad water pump. the casting itself was bad. one of the coolant holes was completely plugged up. you couldn't even blow air through them.

apparently this water pump issue is a BIG problem for f-bodies because the water pumps are on NATIONAL BACK ORDER. there are no water pumps available at ANY GM dealerships, even to order, around my area. we went back to napa and got ANOTHER pump. this one works, and all is well. switched to green coolant also. thanks to the pump screwing up, my system has also been flushed about 4 times completely, so all the dexcool is definitely out.

there's a problem. my engine is making a strange ticking sound. i've never heard this ticking sound before. it has me really scared, since the engine overheated a few times from the bad pump. now, the engine temp READ 253 degrees since the sensor is next to the exhaust manifold, but we measured the temp of the coolant coming out and it was about 200 degrees, and the engine block temperature was about 189* (he has a laser temperature reader). we shot the laser through the coolant hole right onto the head and it only read around 190*. but this ticking doesn't sound good. it's coming from the underside of the car. does this sound like the water pump? it's kind of like tapping a soda can with a pencil. i'm kinda nervous, i hope a valve spring didn't break or something due to the heat any ideas what would make a ticking noise from underneath the car after a water pump swap?
Old 01-12-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's your car telling you to get that shitty coolant outta there You may think you have all the dexcool out but think about the heater core etc.

Every once and a while on really cold start's. I get lazy lifter tick.. it only lasts for a min or so until the lifter pumps up. It's expected out of a 124K mile motor though, just annoying at times..
Old 01-12-2007, 09:59 PM
Tech Resident

It's your car telling you to get that shitty coolant outta there You may think you have all the dexcool out but think about the heater core etc.

Every once and a while on really cold start's. I get lazy lifter tick.. it only lasts for a min or so until the lifter pumps up. It's expected out of a 124K mile motor though, just annoying at times..
the car was red hot after a 10 mile drive. completely warmed up to normal operating temps. i'm lost.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

You may have spun a bearing
Old 01-12-2007, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

the car was red hot after a 10 mile drive. completely warmed up to normal operating temps. i'm lost.
Honestly, You shouldn't have let the car overheat AT ALL. As soon as you saw it start to run hotter than normal you should have turned it right off! You live and you learn... 1 of the things you learn this week is to NEVER overheat a aluminum block!
Old 01-12-2007, 10:35 PM
Tech Resident

Honestly, You shouldn't have let the car overheat AT ALL. As soon as you saw it start to run hotter than normal you should have turned it right off! You live and you learn... 1 of the things you learn this week is to NEVER overheat a aluminum block!
i didn't do it. the car was hot according to the temperature gauge, which is a dummy anyway. yes, the PCM read 253*, but the block was still in the 180*-190* range and the coolant coming out was 200*. the reason why the PCM reading was high is because the sensor was right on the exhaust manifold, which btw, according to his laser, was 252*. the heads were in the 180* range also.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:45 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by The1N_only
You may have spun a bearing
i doubt it. a spun bearing would be a loud tick. to really hear this tick you have to stick your head under the car. the engine's not clanking or anything, it just sounds like LS1 lifter tick, except a little louder and i've never heard it before.

Quick Reply: New Water Pump and GREEN Coolant