Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Water Pump and GREEN Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 06:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A spun bearing sometimes isnt always loud, Whats your oil pressure like? I agree on getting an aluminum block hot is very bad. All the different metals expand at different tempatures. Maybe the noise was there the whole time, but you never noticed untill now because your actually paying now
Old 01-13-2007, 06:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM isnt the most common manufacturer to have water pumps go bad. I would say that it is a 100% even split between the amount of pumps I sell.

I work at Autozone, sell the things every damn day.

Toyotas and fords and Volvos get replaced all the time. There is no standout in my mind.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:51 AM
TECH Resident

And yes, I think you're a fool for not doing the job yourself. I go to school, work 40hrs/week and manage to do all the work on my car myself.

Do you even change your own oil?
Old 01-13-2007, 06:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
there's a difference. what i can't afford is downtime. i have my priorities in line, because i don't want to be the average american living paycheck to paycheck buried in debt.

Hello, Average American Here
Old 01-13-2007, 07:18 AM
11 Second Club

When I got my car it had the green stuff in it. I switched back to the dex-cool. I now hear the same noise as you choco. It could be possible that it was there before and now I hear it though.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In regards to your original problem, could your technique for flushing the old stuff out be the culprit?

Last edited by BigDaddyBry; 01-13-2007 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:20 AM
Teching In

You can't trust an IR hand-held temp reading shooting a shiny metal surface. The reading will be higher than the true temp.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:43 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just get a stroker and call it a day. You can get a small school loan and that will solve your problem.

FWIW: LAst cam swap I did in my orange ss I was a moron and forgot that I sat there with the hose in it while it was running after the swap. Capped it off, and went on my merry way. I am sure I got a tad bit of corrosion somewhere due to that. It was only for about 5 months. But the car got driven a total of 2100 miles.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:44 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Also was this a crappy scanner or was this the Tech II GM tool? That was the one you should have used if not.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:07 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by The1N_only
A spun bearing sometimes isnt always loud, Whats your oil pressure like? I agree on getting an aluminum block hot is very bad. All the different metals expand at different tempatures. Maybe the noise was there the whole time, but you never noticed untill now because your actually paying now
oil pressure is perfect. 45 at idle, 60 at cruise. temperature is perfect also, about a millimeter or two from the 210* mark just like normal. everything is running great.

perhaps i'm just listening for stuff and it's always there and i just haven't noticed it?

perhaps this new water pump is quieter and letting me hear more tick? i've always had slight tick that i had to strain to hear. it just sounds like LS1 tick, just louder.

perhaps the overheating sheared my oil and thinned it out? the oil has over 4500 miles on it and it's been in my car since july. perhaps it broke down over the whole ordeal? or perhaps coolant got into the oil and thinned it? i plan on changing it tomorrow or monday. i have GC 0W-30 in it now, and i have 6 quarts of mobil 1 turbo diesel 5W-40 waiting on my shelf to go in. i'll report my findings.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:09 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
In regards to your original problem, could your technique for flushing the old stuff out be the culprit?
the water pump was a bad cast. it bad a blocked coolant port. COMPLETELY blocked. everything is great now. my valvetrain just sounds louder. maybe i'm just listening too hard now, or maybe this water pump is spinning quieter and allowing me to hear more engine noise. or perhaps the hot temps thinned my oil. it's old oil and has to come out.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
the water pump was a bad cast. it bad a blocked coolant port. COMPLETELY blocked. everything is great now. my valvetrain just sounds louder. maybe i'm just listening too hard now, or maybe this water pump is spinning quieter and allowing me to hear more engine noise. or perhaps the hot temps thinned my oil. it's old oil and has to come out.
I was referring to your original pump that went out. Are you saying that the first pump was a bad cast?
Old 01-14-2007, 12:09 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
I was referring to your original pump that went out. Are you saying that the first pump was a bad cast?
oh no, the first pump was perfect. just the guy that owned the car before me never changed the coolant. it was original coolant and had an awful skunk smell to it. i flushed it, and a few days after, it started leaking. dexcool has a bad track record with eating gaskets, so apparently the dexcool ate the water pump gasket and gummed up like it likes to do, plugging the holes. the coolant flush unclogged the holes and started the leak. at least that's my theory. so that's why i only got 30,000 miles out of my original pump. i limped it around with a slow leak for 3 months but it started squealing very badly a few days ago out of nowhere so i figured i better replace it before i get stuck somewhere.

the second pump i tried was a new napa pump. it was a bad casting, causing my car to overheat on the temperature sensor, though neither the block nor the coolant reached temps of over 200*.

the third pump was a new napa pump also. so far it's a success *knock on wood*
Old 01-15-2007, 01:46 PM
10 Second Club

my stock pump only lasted 130k

finding a water pump on ls1tech = $100

putting on yourself = Free

Dexcool = $30

reading 4 pages of this = priceless
Old 01-15-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Junkie

aw crap.

i think South Carolina succeeded from the nation again..... we're not part of the national backorder on waterpumps... dealer here has several.. and can get several more within a day...

but did you know..... the LS2 pump that superseded teh LS1 waterpump, is available nationwide?
i just thought id share....
Old 01-15-2007, 04:56 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
aw crap.

i think South Carolina succeeded from the nation again..... we're not part of the national backorder on waterpumps... dealer here has several.. and can get several more within a day...

but did you know..... the LS2 pump that superseded teh LS1 waterpump, is available nationwide?
well i'm just telling you, according to the dealerships in my area, they are on national backorder, or at least were last week. one place had ONE in stock, burns pontiac on route 73, and i wasn't about to drive an hour in the world's worst traffic to get it.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you checked you belt tensioner? A lot of times taking a belt on and off will get a click out of it.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
aw crap.

What pulley does this have on it...?
Old 01-15-2007, 09:21 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by ls1_doc
Have you checked you belt tensioner? A lot of times taking a belt on and off will get a click out of it.
no sir, i did not. what in particular should i be looking at? it sounds like the tick is coming from underneath the car, so it's a possibility. it's a brand new belt btw.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:13 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

tick = lifter taking a slow poop on you.

Quick Reply: New Water Pump and GREEN Coolant