Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Victor Jr on N/A motor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Victor Jr on N/A motor?

Hi All,

I'm building a Cobra replica with an LS1 in it. I've been playing around with a blower setup but lately I've been thinking of keeping the motor N/A and using the blower on another project.

I've got plenty of hood clearance so I was thinking of using the Edelbrock Victor manifold and a 4 Barrel T/B . I've already machined my own fuel rails and it would be an easy swap. It would give the motor an old school look and mean I could run a conventional air cleaner under the Cobra hood scoop.

I was also thinking of going cam only and fitting the TSP MS3 or MS4 cam and a set of matching springs etc. I've got 1 7/8 4-1 headers 3.9:1 gears T56 box and about 2200 pounds weight.

How does the Victor manifold perform on a NA 346 with a cam?

Have I got rocks in my head or will this work?

Thanks

Michael

Old 01-14-2007, 06:47 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It might work, but you see them more commonly on solid roller setups. It would definitely finish the look you are wanting to go for. What casting heads are on there? valves/ect?
Old 01-14-2007, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1 Cobra
Hi All,

I'm building a Cobra replica with an LS1 in it. I've been playing around with a blower setup but lately I've been thinking of keeping the motor N/A and using the blower on another project.

I've got plenty of hood clearance so I was thinking of using the Edelbrock Victor manifold and a 4 Barrel T/B . I've already machined my own fuel rails and it would be an easy swap. It would give the motor an old school look and mean I could run a conventional air cleaner under the Cobra hood scoop.

I was also thinking of going cam only and fitting the TSP MS3 or MS4 cam and a set of matching springs etc. I've got 1 7/8 4-1 headers 3.9:1 gears T56 box and about 2200 pounds weight.

How does the Victor manifold perform on a NA 346 with a cam?

Have I got rocks in my head or will this work?

Thanks

Michael

If its not worked over and installed right out the box...It will be a dog. If its worked over and a cam matched to it and the heads in most cases it will run like a top. I do prefer the GMPP intake over the Edelbrock as there is more meat in it to shape it and work the unit as a whole.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

The motor is a stock crate motor. I believe it's a 99 model with the 853 heads.

As for working it over, I was thinking of just port matching the intake to the heads initially. A set of Ported LS6 heads will probably come later.

Cheers

Michael
Old 01-14-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

is it me or is that steering on the wrong side?? and what kind of fuel rails are those?
Old 01-15-2007, 01:20 AM
On The Tree

Check again, the steering wheel isn't on the wrong side, it's on the right side You guys have your steering wheels on the left side

I like the Edelbrock Victor manifold over the GMPP manifold because the Victor uses the standard Port O rings where as the GMPP requires gaskets. The Victor will look much tidier.

You can buy the aluminium fuel rail extrusion by the meter (yard). The extrusion has a 3/4" bore and a thick rectangular base for the injectors. I just tapped the ends to take the AN fittings and machined the bottom of it for the injectors to plug into. The mounting tabs were just machined from aluminium angle. 30 minutes or so work on the buffer and they polish up so you can see your reflection in them.

The more I look at this manifold and TB setup the cooler I reckon it'll look. Edelbrock make a 4BBL throttle body that takes the stock TPS and IAC from the LS1 TB. It flows 1000CFM which should be plenty to feed this motor

Edelbrock 4 Barrel TB

I reckon an oval aircleaner something like this one from summit would look great on top of it just through the hole in the hood and inside the scoop.

Cheers

Michael
Old 01-15-2007, 10:24 AM
9 Second Club

I did this swap on an 02 silverado tuck last week. It works awesome!!!!! Check out this link to the thread at PT.Net

http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...d.php?t=383344
Old 01-15-2007, 02:00 PM
10 Second Club

since you are in OZ use a ITB setup. if you dont want to do that, ill get a Vic Jr, and ill mail it to you, and you can mail me a Harrop
Old 01-15-2007, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for that Rhino, that's given me a lot of confidence.

I spoke to the guys from TSP this morning and they seemed to think it would work fine. They even thought tuning the thing with the 4bbl TB and manifold might be easier than a stock intake setup with the big cam.

The Harrop setup is nice but it's also $5800 aussie dollars I reckon the Victor manifold TB and air cleaner will cost me about $1200 aussie Dollars. It'll still have plenty of impact when you open the hood since that's what this is really all about. The stock motor has more than enough go to scare the crap out of me in this light weight car. I could do a lot of other stuff with the spare $4600. Perhaps a N2O system? Plenty of plate systems arround that will fit nicely under that 4 barrel TB.

Cheers

Michael
Old 01-15-2007, 10:53 PM
10 Second Club

yeah, but even with a big nasty cam, a harrop or other ITB intakes would make it idle like stock

ps. im in love with them, and will eventualy have them, but till then im going to run a single plane carbed intake
Old 01-16-2007, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

I just found an article comparing the performance of most of the manifolds readily available. The engine used for the test was a reasonably stock LS1 with a cam in it. Very similar to the setup I'm looking at ie stock cube cam only engine.

At the end of the test it includes what looks like the GMPP 4 barel manifold. This was the big surprise of the test and made significanly more than all of the others. I think that maybe it's the design with TB at the front dictated by hood clearance may hurt the factory style manifolds performance a little.

Here's a link to the article: Manifold test

Cheers

Michael
Old 03-02-2007, 02:22 AM
On The Tree

Well I decided to go ahead with the Victor Jr setup. It all arrived from Summit Racing the other day. I've just bolted it up to see what the hood clearance is like and it all fits fine.

I've still got a bit of work to do on the wiring and getting the hardware all connected.

Here's a couple of pics:

Cheers

Michael
Old 03-02-2007, 07:28 AM
11 Second Club

Looks good. I've got a friend that's doing that and portmatching the intake to some ported ls6 heads. Similar TB I think, but he's running an elbow to use the stock style lid.

Any before and after power gains or track times once it's up and running?
Old 03-02-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

looks sweet, i canr wait til i go with a victor, they are amazing for boost from what i've heard.

nice build my friend +1
Old 03-03-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah looks great and i love them edlebrock (sp) fuel rails too..
Old 04-14-2007, 10:23 AM
Staging Lane

LS1 Cobra

Any updates on your motors new setup??
Old 04-14-2007, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

wow, I wonder if you could use that Victor manifold in a late model camaro... (Dunno if it'd clear the firewall).

If it did that would be awesome with a nice cowl hood on there...!!!
Old 04-14-2007, 10:56 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by 99kamarokid
is it me or is that steering on the wrong side?? and what kind of fuel rails are those?
He is Aussie...so it is on the right side...not the wrong side, like we see it here.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

I've got a circuit race meet next week end so it'll get a decent run then. Unfortunately I haven't run it with the LS6 manifold to compare. At some point I'll get it on a Dyno and see what it makes.

I've just finished my headers and sidepipes and got them back from HPC.

Should sound great on the track.

Cheers

Michael
Old 04-14-2007, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks killer.. we need a vid now lol

Quick Reply: Victor Jr on N/A motor?