Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF Housing Swap - Retune ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF Housing Swap - Retune ???

If I swap out my MAF stock housing (not the sensor) with an aftermarket housing will it effect my current tuning in a bad way?
Old 01-15-2007, 12:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

not really
Old 01-15-2007, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

I my opinion i would leave it unless you are really up there in HP. If you do change the ends and your MAF table is off you could loose vs making any gains. I would say you would have to do some work to your MAF tables. I would deff do a good scan of the car after i changed the housing.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:10 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't mess with the MAF.

It's going to start flowing more air than it's reading. You wouldn't put a resistor in one of your O2 sensor wires would you? I know you're thinking with the whole "every little bit helps", which is true most of the time, but not here.

If you are worried about the MAF being a restriction (which is won't be untill 500+ RWHP), stick an 85mm unit in it from a 2002 z06. Then you can have the MAF tables tuned in the computer.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:34 AM
Banned

I believe MAF ends cause the MAF to lean the air/fuel ratio, that's how they make more power. I don't think they actually flow much more to be worth it, as far as CFM improvements. I don't think you would see much power improvement other than incremental, due to the slightly leaner mixture. I'd prob spend my money on something else. But to answer your question you could probably benefit from a tune, but I would wait until you have more mods like full boltons or cam before I invest in a full tune.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:46 AM
Internet Mechanic

Making any change to the flow characteristics will effect driveability of the car, some more then others. I would never put ported ends on a MAF or even do porting myself. The car by rights should be tuned to the combo of mods.

The worst ive done is descreen the MAF, did it gain, or lose who knows, does it drive worse, no. I didnt have much of a choice since on the current car this was done by the prev owner.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:00 PM
Teching In

I checked a couple of books on swapping MAF housing, for my current set up I wont swap at this time, as most of you suggested.
Thanks all.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

well wouldn't you know, I've been thinking porting the maf is a terrible idea after reading all the info on here for the past few years. Well I was using a dremel today for the first time in a while and I started to get scenes of a maf in my head and then it hit me....I ported my maf 5 years ago!! NOOOO!!! I guess it was one of the free mods I did right off the bat. My car is in the bodyshop so I can't tell right now but I definitely want to UNDO this. Do I just need factory maf ends? I ddin't mess with the screen or the wires or anything. Does anyone have the part numbers for what I need???
I can't believe I COMPLETELY forgot that I had ever done this!!!!
-chris
Old 01-21-2007, 05:11 AM
That's what she said...

If your car runs fine, and it's been tuned, I wouldn't sweat it. Some people report their A4's not shifting correctly and a number of other problems after they port the MAF, which is what we try to avoid.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:23 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Leave well enough alone.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
If your car runs fine, and it's been tuned, I wouldn't sweat it. Some people report their A4's not shifting correctly and a number of other problems after they port the MAF, which is what we try to avoid.
well MTI tuned it a long time ago but I have to 2 foot it everytime i come to a stop or am moving slow or it will surge and die. My cam isn't that big though! Maybe the maf could be causing it. If i couldn't even remember i did it, i probably didn't tell them way back then that I had done it either

Quick Reply: MAF Housing Swap - Retune ???