Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIR Removal with PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 03:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write up man
Old 11-26-2008, 12:14 AM
Launching!

i live in california, the emmissons suck. But i no a guy a little south of me that does illegal smog. Works quite nice in time of need, like trying to reg. my car when i bought it. It cost a little($200) but i didn't even need my car. I just brought the pink and left, the next day it was done. Gotta love it but california emissons sucks.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Teching In

i'm in the process of replacing mine. my check engine light came on and could never figure out what was wrong, i took my car in to a guy i know that runs a smog shop and said that my air pump needs replaced thats why im throwing codes. i live in cali and i know the smog rules here are the worst. if i just straight remove my pump all together and reset the codes will i pass smog?
Old 01-19-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stoge52
i'm in the process of replacing mine. my check engine light came on and could never figure out what was wrong, i took my car in to a guy i know that runs a smog shop and said that my air pump needs replaced thats why im throwing codes. i live in cali and i know the smog rules here are the worst. if i just straight remove my pump all together and reset the codes will i pass smog?
you can get the codes tuned out
Old 01-19-2009, 10:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stoge52
No, you won't.

What bobbyd was saying is you can get the air pump code permanently removed. Then you should pass.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Careful if your keeping those cats. The AIR helps them do their job more efficiently. Without AIR you could significantly shorten the life of the cats.

Didn't mean to be Johnny Raincloud, and your car is really clean - just kind of a "so you know" kinda deal
Old 01-22-2009, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FiredUpZ28
Careful if your keeping those cats. The AIR helps them do their job more efficiently. Without AIR you could significantly shorten the life of the cats.

Didn't mean to be Johnny Raincloud, and your car is really clean - just kind of a "so you know" kinda deal
I thought that the air is really only suppose to help the cats warm up. After 2 minutes they should be warmed up. Im planning on deleting mine as well.
I will be installing my race style QTP's and ORY so I have no need for the Air system in my car. Engine bay looks better without it for sure.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I finally did the AIR removal today. The only thing is, for the life of me, I can't remove that damn T-fitting (the saucer-shaped disc behind the manifold people are calling the AIR shutoff valve). I just can't get to it, but I did unplug the vacuum line on top and plugged it with a vacuum cap. The car seems to be running alright and it's idling around 550-600 rpms, so that seems fine. Any harm in leaving that saucer-shaped T-fitting in its place on that bracket? I just can't get to it. Same thing with the electrical solenoid on the back...that's gonna stay there...
Old 07-27-2009, 01:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Nice I will be doing this when I do my header install!! Has anyone found a link with pictures for the ls6 swap and egr removal?
Old 08-17-2009, 12:42 AM
TECH Resident

great thread thanks for the write up....helped me a lot...
Old 12-12-2009, 01:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

nice write will be using this next weekend
Old 12-29-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have an '02 and the junction of all the tubes had a very small vacuum-lookin hose on it near the back of the intake on top... i jus plugged it, will that hurt anything?
Old 01-19-2010, 07:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
I finally did the AIR removal today. The only thing is, for the life of me, I can't remove that damn T-fitting (the saucer-shaped disc behind the manifold people are calling the AIR shutoff valve). I just can't get to it, but I did unplug the vacuum line on top and plugged it with a vacuum cap. The car seems to be running alright and it's idling around 550-600 rpms, so that seems fine. Any harm in leaving that saucer-shaped T-fitting in its place on that bracket? I just can't get to it. Same thing with the electrical solenoid on the back...that's gonna stay there...
I am at the same point!! Anybody have suggestions on how to remove this?
Old 01-19-2010, 03:40 PM
TECH Regular

i did this...glad to get rid of the stupid noise
Old 01-19-2010, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

No harm in leaving that fitting on there as long as no air is getting in, I plugged mine with a small screw until I have my intake off next and can cap it on the manifold itself instead of on the line.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

On my 02 SS there is some sort of valve where the two lines come together from the exhaust manifolds. There is also a vacume line that runs somewhere behind the intake manifold. Will wherever that vacume line goes have to be blocked? Thanks.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:24 AM
Staging Lane

So confused, I had my intake off and my friend installed back on without hooking up any of the stuff in the back. (dick...) So I am trying to figure this out now...I looked at the diagram (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...questions.html) and it looks like when the intake was off the T-fitting was removed so now I just have the A/C vent vacumm line hooked up to where the T was so I should be good right? From what I can tell I dont need to plug anything in the back because the T-fitting is removed so there is no opening. Right?

Thanks
Old 09-27-2010, 12:08 AM

Ok so here are pics of what the 00-02 have...

Here is a pic of the solonoid, on the drivers side. I unbolted the connector, unplugged it, and pryed the solonoid off the mounts. I think one of the mounts bolts onto the back of the intake, which I was not going to remove.

And from below, the pump in place (some bolts were already removed, but apparently the previous owner did not have the required 10" socket extension to get to the 10mm bolts and undo the bracket. However, taking the pump out of the bracket made getting to the other two bolts easier. The other two bolts are hidden in this pic by the pump.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:42 PM
TECH Regular

So looking at this, i'm guessing i should wait till i swap in an LS6 intake before i delete the EGR and AIR? And if I'm going to delete AIR, i should probably wait to do all that until i do my headers so i don't mess up my cats?

I'm real nervous when it comes to ripping stuff off the car so this has me a little spooked
Old 10-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Teching In

94 camaro Z28, you arent going to mess up your cats, the air just helps your cats when you first start it up and then once warm the air system does nothing

Quick Reply: AIR Removal with PICS!