Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed New Era Ported TB - Looking for header help

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 09:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for header help - Best Stainless system?

Installed New Era ported TB last night - It looked beautiful by the way - Now I'm ready for exhaust. Thinking about the Dynatech Supermaxx system again, but also considering Kook's or QTP. Have pretty much decided on GMMG this time around - liked the Borla, but after all the posts raving about GMMG I'm prety well convinced that is the way to go. Thoughts on quality, fit, etc. on the headers mentioned above would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah - will probably go with catted Y. No inspection here in OK, but never know when that could change.

Last edited by robdawg13; 03-17-2007 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:40 PM
Staging Lane

Anyone?
Old 03-17-2007, 01:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ive heard good things about the Supermaxx system, 1300 bucks for stainless headers and a catted Y-pipe....not bad IMO. however QTP and Kooks are very nice products also. i went with pacesetter coated headers. still waiting install but seemed to be the best bang for the buck. Kooks and QTP are just about double the price of pacesetters. but pacesetters are not stainless, which explains why they are half the price.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:02 PM
Staging Lane

I don't think I'll be getting rid of this car, so I definitely want to go with Stainless since they should basically last forever. I would really like to hear from someone who has "hands-on" experience with the stainless systems out there as far as quality of build, clearance, ease of install and overall look of finished product. Any replies are greatly appreciated
Old 03-17-2007, 02:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by robdawg13
I don't think I'll be getting rid of this car, so I definitely want to go with Stainless since they should basically last forever. I would really like to hear from someone who has "hands-on" experience with the stainless systems out there as far as quality of build, clearance, ease of install and overall look of finished product. Any replies are greatly appreciated
talk to this guy, he has about the best all stainless system ive ever seen
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....7&postcount=46
Old 03-17-2007, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

That is an awesome loking system!!! I would absolutely consider going true duals if I could find someone in Oklahoma or a neighboring state that could do work like that.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

QTP and QTP Y is the way to go, can't beat it in terms of power, fitment, and quality.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stainless steel still rusts and looks like crap over time.The Kooks on my TA look like ****.The coated Pacesetters on my SS only have about 500 miles and are about 4 months old on them and still look new. You could also get stainless headers coated. I say either way you go or either header you choice you should be happy
Old 03-18-2007, 12:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I went with the Kooks/GMMG setup and love it. No problems with my Kooks whatsoever. As I'm sure you have read, the Kooks Y tucks up real nice, better than the QTPs does. GMMG is the best catback IMO, so I would start there then work your way up to what headers you want. But if you had a good experience with the Dynatech Supermaxx system, I'd would just get that again.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installed New Era ported TB last night - It looked beautiful by the way - Now I'm ready for exhaust. Thinking about the Dynatech Supermaxx system again, but also considering Kook's or QTP. Have pretty much decided on GMMG this time around - liked the Borla, but after all the posts raving about GMMG I'm prety well convinced that is the way to go. Thoughts on quality, fit, etc. on the headers mentioned above would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah - will probably go with catted Y. No inspection here in OK, but never know when that could change.
OT: Rob, how long did it take to get your TB back? I sent mine out a over a week ago.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bassani has a nice dual setup that goes over the axle that is close to the gmmg price. IMO it sounds better. I have coated Pacesetters and havent had a problem, but if you want stainless, kooks or QTP is the way to go.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

Mine got to New Era on Thursday and they shipped it back out on Monday. Very Happy with both the job and the fact that they delivered as promised.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

SweeTbone - Listened to your clip and that's one of the main things that sold me on the GMMG. I'll probably go ahead and order it tomorrow. One reason I haven't 100% made up my mind on the Supermaxx is that I'm thinking about doing away with the AIR system and going with Kook's race-style headers. Did you keep the EGR and AIR on your car or not?
Old 03-19-2007, 09:05 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you seen the price at New Era?! its the lowest out there, even the companies who used to sell them for 1200 are now 1500. Buy it through them. It will be drop shipped from Dynatech/Afco racing.

I just got mine, installing tommorrow.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Banned

GMMG is way over-priced imo. Just glorified straight pipes. You pay for the name. +1 on the Bassani instead, you will then have true duals. Much better than a ypipe setup, and can be fit to headers no problem. If you are stuck on a catback, Magnaflow is less than half the price and sounds great, plus it's also stainless.

As far as headers, I would go stainless, Kooks or QTP. Kooks are nice and proven.