Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How in the hell do I remove a crank bolt from a longblock that's pulled??????? ARGHHH

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the engine on a stand or on the ground (sitting on a crate ?) If it is on the stand, be carefull as it could tip over on you.. I almost did that ! Get few people to help hold it steady. (could be a good idea to put it on the ground).

Is there a flywheel still on it? take it off and use the two bolts on the end of the crank and a bar method as some have stated. Screw them in as far as you can to keep them for being damaged. (use a grade 9 or 10 bolts)

If you use one of those tools for the pulley, a Cheater bar on it may also be needed.

Then get a breaker bar with the socket and a 3-4" (longer is better, mind was almost 5") cheater bar and put your weight to it..

Make sure you use some grease and washers when re-installing the pulley.. but that is another story for another day.. 1st things 1st.. get it off.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stand for now, but I agree, I'll need to put it down as the dang stand looks like it's going to snap in half with the pressure we put on it other day
Old 03-26-2007, 03:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Impact wrench here too, I had no flywheel on. Had to have it on a crate off the engine stand, hit it for over a minute (electric impact, Sears) and it finally broke free. 6 pt. 24mm.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My motor was on the stand w/ nothing on it. I made a tool that bolts to the crank in the back and rests against the stand. That w/ a 1/2" Ratchet and a 2ft pipe.

Here's a pic. 1/8"x3/4" flat I think. I put a couple washers to even the outer piece.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

did you use an impact socket? if not i suggest you buy one then try it. The chrome sockets will just flex.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

I had an impact socket but it was a 12pt
I went and bought a 6pt today and hammered on it for about 5minutes and it finally broke free
woot!
Now gotta remember how in the hell to apply the pulley.
Last time I did this was with motor in a 2k WS6 and it went ok.
Now I can't seem to get my puller on grrrrrrrrrrr
searching threads now!
Old 03-27-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

I used a big *** 2 jaw puller that had large 90 degree hooks on it, worked easy for me especially with the impact wrench. The right angle hooks were what allowd me a good grip around the outside of the balancer.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

got it all apart. Had to bastardize 2 pulleys and it came off. Funny as the one pulley worked fine in my Fbody
go figure.
Looks like I'll be sending everything to machining afterall. Front cam bearing I can see wear on it, and some copper or brass or w/e it is.
Going to tear it down in total and send it off for cleaning, bore, honing etc...

Anyone have recommendations for shop to do this work in IL or how I'd go about shipping.

Also expected costs for such work?
thx

see pics in thread
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...08#post6741108

Last edited by CoronaL; 03-27-2007 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:00 AM
On The Tree

by the way I wanted to thank all that helped out! I get all panic stricken sometimes when I'm up against an obsticle, it's nice to have some voices of reason and experience to help out
Old 03-28-2007, 08:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CoronaL
by the way I wanted to thank all that helped out! I get all panic stricken sometimes when I'm up against an obsticle, it's nice to have some voices of reason and experience to help out
Just always try to stay patient, 95% of the time all it takes is the right tool to get things done. I know it took me a while to track down some of the proper odd end tools in some of the things i did and it sucks. I am one of those I need it NOW type of people.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CoronaL
Got my LS6 longblock Friday night. All fine and dandy but I can't get the freaking crank bolt off.

No flywheel on motor so I can't wedge/lock it.

Motor just turns and hisses at me when I apply breaker bar to the crank bolt.

tried a $200 625ft/lb 1/2" impact wrench and it just laughed at me. Barely moved pulled and didn't budge bolt.

Tried to head up bolt for about 1min or so, but didn't want to fubar something really bad

any tips or help would be welcomed. I searched but didn't come up with anything
thx
John
Get a better impact! Honestly, try running some fresh oil through your impact right before you try removing the bolt. Also, make sure your pushing hard on the back of the impact towards the bolt. This will make sure all the energy from the impact will be transferred to the bolt. Also, an actual impact socket will hit harder than a chromy (and you reduce the chance of a grenade going off).

I've got an Ingersoll titanium 1/2" impact that is supposed to be 1000 ft/lbs in reverse. I've never found a crank bolt it won't remove.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by turbotko
Get a better impact! Honestly, try running some fresh oil through your impact right before you try removing the bolt. Also, make sure your pushing hard on the back of the impact towards the bolt. This will make sure all the energy from the impact will be transferred to the bolt. Also, an actual impact socket will hit harder than a chromy (and you reduce the chance of a grenade going off).

I've got an Ingersoll titanium 1/2" impact that is supposed to be 1000 ft/lbs in reverse. I've never found a crank bolt it won't remove.
Youre a little late man, he got it done already.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by brad8266
Just always try to stay patient, 95% of the time all it takes is the right tool to get things done. I know it took me a while to track down some of the proper odd end tools in some of the things i did and it sucks. I am one of those I need it NOW type of people.
yeah I hear you
I love my tools and it's sometimes a good excuse to go buy more. I have to have things NOW too, but sometimes you are absolutely right, patience is a blessing. Thx again for your help
John
Old 05-27-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

on a new ls7 at work, i had to turn the pressure on the snap-on impact up to 400 psi. they try to break your wrist off at that point.